Thread: Inverness beginner

Inverness beginner

Hi

I've managed to stuble across this site so don't know much about anything! I've looked for posts about inverness but can't seem to find much. Can anyone tell me what to expect if I went along? Is there a level of fitness required? I'd love to get into something new but have no experience.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Re: Inverness beginner

Hi Nat
    If you haven't been to a class yet I would really suggest it, you will find a lot of people on this forum really helpful and friendly and have probably been dancign for years. There may be people on here who dance in Inverness so keep checking back and someone may offer some more specific tips re the classes in your area.

I love Ceroc (Modern Jive) and once you get past the initals weeks of feeling like there are too many moves to learn you will absolutely love it to, I promise. As you may have gathered there is a whole other world of dance behind the beginner weekly classes and it is amazing.

Good look and hopefully see you at a weekender soon
    x

Hi and welcome to the forum. Like Halo I'm not in inverness, but ceroc/modern jive is great fun and really sociable.

You can take it as fast or slow as you want, no specific fitness levels required - that's the bonus of it, that anyone can do it. Your level is only determined by how far you want to take it.

Hope you find a class, and enjoy it.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Hi Nat and welcome to the forum.
    I'm an occasional visitor to Inverness and it is a really friendly class so I'd advise you just to go along on Thursday and jump right in.

There is a beginners class and everyone is rotated every couple of minutes, so you'll get to meet lots of the dancers.
    After the short freestyle (when the DJ will play some music for everyone to get a chance to just dance) the taxi dancers will take the beginners to another room and go over all the moves you've just learned, whilst the teacher takes the intermediate class.

You then all come back together and dance the night away until 10.30pm.

The night's never over in Inverness, just because the music stops A lot of people head to the bar, in the hotel, and have a couple of drinks and a good ol' chat, before heading home.

Hope to get a dance with you next time I'm there.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Hi Nat, welcome to the forum!

Sadly I've just moved from Inverness, but I started learning ceroc when Franck and Tiggerbabe started the class there four years ago () I haven't looked back!!!

I'd definitely encourage you to give it a try. There's no particular level of fitness required, and everyone there is really friendly. Not many of the local dancers are on the forum, but you could try sending a private message (PM) through the forum to Dazzler (who is the teacher) or to NightOwl (who is the dj and a taxi dancer) if you want more information or to have made contact with someone there.

I will be back up there quite regularly for parties, so I hope to meet you for a dance in the future...

Hope you make it along and have a wonderful time!

Hi Nat

Just to re-iterate what most have said. It is for the main part, a very friendly and welcoming evening, especially in Scotland (from my experience).

Any expectation to become instantly expert, will meet with disappointment, except for those who have previous dance experience [eg salsa, ballroom, etc]. The evening structure is generally:

- 30-45 mins beginner lesson
    - up to one hour freestyle (and practice)
    - 30-45 mins intermediate lesson (and beginner refresh)
    - one hour plus freestyle

So do try to be 5 mins early (and get yourself a drink!)

I always suggest to new people to really, just go through the motions on the first day, and not to try too hard. It is enough to deal with the newness of everything (place, people, all those complicated moves, where the toilets are, these peculiar, smiling people in black 'TAXI' tee-shirts etc, etc, etc). Treat it as a new experience .... and any learning (initially) as a bonus!

At the end of the day, you may love it (many do) or hate it. However, there's only one way to find out!!!

Don't risk regretting what you didn't do!!

Have fun .... Ian

Thank you for all the replies! I haven't been along yet but am now seriously considering it as you've all made it sound like loads of fun. What kind of clothing/footwear is needed? Also how much does it cost? Still very nervous about turning up alone but feel slightlymore prepared knowing some of what happens! Thanks again

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Footwear - smooth soled shoes are best. Any shoes that you find comfortable to wear. I'd avoid trainers if you can.

Clothes - wear whatever you would wear if you were heading to the pub for a drink. Layers are good as you can take something off, if you get too hot

Cost is £7 per night, £5 for concessions, or £3 if you're a student. There's a £3 lifetime membership payable on your first night.
    Also you can buy 6 class nights for the price of 3 - £24 payable, but this offer is only available on your first night.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Hi Nat
    Don't worry about going on your own. I went on my initially and straight away made friends - just go along and chat to people.

I havent actually been for ages due to job hunting and boring things like that but I'm hoping very soon to go back. If it would be easier if you went with someone - I will happily meet you either at the dor or beforehand?

Hope to see you there

anne

Thread Information