Thread: looking to team up with others to attend classes in aberdeen

looking to team up with others to attend classes in aberdeen

hi i am looking to start ceroc is there anyone who is starting or has stared
    beginer classes that i can tag along with
    cheers carolann

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: looking to team up with others to attend classes in aberdeen

Hi Carolann

There will be taxi dancers at the door to greet you on your first night. They are very friendly faces and will point you in the right direction when starting.

There are always brand new people at the Ceroc nights, especially at the new Wednesday night in Aberdeen. You'll meet them during the beginners class as you move round and again at the practice session with the taxi dancers.

You may walk in by yourself but you'll have made loads of new friends by the end of the first class.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Welcome to the forum

When you first come through the door, you may not know anyone; but you will get rotated through the class and be introduced to all the folk you dance with. You'll probably end up chatting to the person next in line when you're waiting for a rotation to take you back on again. And you'll get to know the Taxi dancers & everyone in the refresher classes. And a few others that will dance in the freestyle sections ...

So by the time you leave, there will be lots of faces & people you know - the next time you come you will recognise a lot of folk and coming with others becomes less of an issue Some of us you just can't seem to get rid of.

If you're out to Culter on Tuesday, come and say hi (I'll also be there on Thursday at the Station). Two nights a week breaking curfew is a luxury for me, so I can't really make it to the Transport Club on Wednesday.

Hi carolann, welcome to the forum.

Lots of people go to classes on their own, but as Gadget and Tiggerbabe have described it's a very friendly scene, and you'll find you get to know people fairly quickly.

I started at classes on my own, and I think it was actually better than going with friends as I made more of an effort to speak to people. If I'd been in a group I'd probably have found it easier just to stay within the group.

Of course different people have different confidence levels, comfort zones etc. However I'd definitely encourage you to give it a go; I'm sure you'll find it's not nearly as daunting as you imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by carolann View Post
    hi i am looking to start ceroc is there anyone who is starting or has stared
    beginer classes that i can tag along with
    cheers carolann
    Yeah as everyone here said.. It's easy enough to go yourself.. I used to go to the aberdeen ones with a few friends, but actually found i got to know more people when i went on my own.. Although it was and still can be a bit strange when you don't know the people there, .never found someone that wasn't nice though

I def recommend giving it a shot. i'm sure you'll have a great time

Same message from me as from everyone else who has replied - you really will be fine going along on your own, honestly.

I understand your concerns - I still remember the first time I went to St Stephens in Edinburgh (a good few years ago now!) and not knowing what to expect or what the people would be like can be worrying. And perhaps as a female you worry more about being on your own, but you'll very soon meet people and almost as importantly, you'll very soon learn to dance!

On the other hand, if you prefer to go along with a pal that's ok too - but don't let the pal hold you back!

Let us all know how you get on.

and from me.

The first time I went dancing a friend dragged me along for something to do. After 2 weeks she decided it wasn't for her, she wanted to spend her money on other things.

I was hooked and happily went along on my own for weeks after (still often do, over 2 1/2 years later). Everyone's very friendly - you may turn up on your own but after that you're with friends, whether you know them yet or not. And, as I think someone else mentioned, I like the feeling of not being tied to people but having the freedom to wander round, chat to and dance with who I like and I feel I end up mixing a lot more and making more of an effort.

If you haven't already been and tried it - give it a go.

Welcome from me too.

I started on my own too. I was terrified just before I went in, was welcomed by some lovely dancers, decided to stay as I was fascinated by all the different moves and styles you can learn and adapt for all sorts of music.

Now the CEROC world can't get rid of me!

Even if my finances stop me from going as often as I like, I will never give up my escape into my dance fantasy land..

Welcome to the Addiction (and it is one!), and I hope to see you at a dance event soon

WT

Thread Information