Thread: Christmas Turkeys

Christmas Turkeys

Simple thread - what is your fav Turkey
    The worst film, CD, TV Prog, Book, clothes - anything that is bad, naff etc.
    Perhaps a review as well
    e.g.
    CD - Cyndi Lauper (see CD/Album thread) or Vinny Jones Cd - stick to football or acting

Film - Tarzan with Bo Derek or Cut throat island (think that's the title).
    peter

Re: Christmas Turkeys

Like Room 101?

Can I nominate the advert on the radio that is Frank Butcher from Eastenders saying something like "Eight windows and doors me ole' mucka' from just 800 smackeroonies" etc.

and also the radio advert for "Jonathan Streiker from Osos Office Stationery Suppliers"

I turn off the radio when I hear them

I used to hate that one that was for older drivers that basically said something like "If you don't want to pay for the mistakes of younger more careless drivers" etc. etc. and I used to resent that so I thought, fine, then this younger driver will turn off the radio

Px

Perfume and fragrence adverts.

The one's that sell sex as part of the product!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Jon L
    The one's that sell sex as part of the product!
    really ? how much ?

Perfume and fragrence adverts.
    I'm going to be controversial (not like me eh? ) and stick up for packaging and adverts for women's perfumes.

IMO the packaging and advertising used on many women's perfumes is amongst the most creative and cradling of artistic merit of any product. There is a lot of excellent work going into them from what I can see. Many are beautiful to watch, use superb photography, wonderful use of light and shade, silhouettes, beautiful background music or combine aesthetic images from nature. They pull together some of the higher essences of womanhood. It is not, IMO, wrong that the models and actresses that might be used are generally reasonably attractive - if the cult of Venus was revived no-one would expect Venus to be portrayed as ugly - she represented certain graces that many women aspire to. She can be (as woman can be) sexual or not, like a muse, a mother or a siren, it is her choice. The adverts for many perfumes (and they often feature men and women) are among the most watchable on television (compare them to the repetitive and often blatantly sexist adverts for cars and financial products!)

The packaging of some women's perfumes are classics. A woman may even buy a perfume because it looks beautiful on her dressing table, a minor work of art in itself. I don't think it is wrong to extol beauty.

"Selling sex" is something I see more in cheap men's deodorants (the revolting 'Lynx' effect), women's hair products, car adverts for men and women, and it won't be long before it creeps into the long and insidious advertising that the BBC now indulges in for its own products (the advertising seems to increase as the quality goes down).

Do please let us keep the top end of women's perfumes unsullied.

(For any woman who doesn't like top-end perfumes and their marketing, my respects, but live and let live eh?)

Originally posted by Chris
    "Selling sex" is something I see more in cheap men's deodorants (the revolting 'Lynx' effect), women's hair products, car adverts for men and women, and it won't be long before it creeps into the long and insidious advertising that the BBC now indulges in for its own products (the advertising seems to increase as the quality goes down).

Do please let us keep the top end of women's perfumes unsullied.

(For any woman who doesn't like top-end perfumes and their marketing, my respects, but live and let live eh?)

Thanks Chris it's the latter sort of advert that I can't stand (as usual I have made a sweeping generalisation in my earlier post )

Thanks Chris it's the latter sort of advert that I can't stand (as usual I have made a sweeping generalisation in my earlier post )
    Cheers Jon though it looks like I'm losing my innate knack for being controversial :sorry - there was me expecting to be stampeded by irate militant feminists . . .

I think its naff we don't get any white christmas

Can't talk for the mountains of scotland of course

I want it snow on christmas day not in March

"We had been refused a loan everywhere......THEN.....one call to Ocean Finance and we were accepted on the spot and......

(this is the most ridiculous bit)

.......WE EVEN HAD MONEY LEFT OVER FOR A HOLIDAY"

Let me clarify -

NO YOU DIDNT YOU SILLY MUPPET !!!

You had to take out a loan that you will be paying back until you die with a whacking huge interest rate meaning you DONT have money 'to spare'.

PLUS, of course they granted you loan. U dont pay...they take your house. Simple.

Sorry, i just really hate those adverts. REALLY hate them

Arghhhhhh
    just got pre-release cd with.......
    cheeky girls - 'Have a cheeky christmas' and Fast food rockers - 'I love christmas' back to back on cd
    plus Santa's grotto mix of Greg lakes I belive i father chistmas (is nothing sacred)
    and to top it off a really ***** (cover version) mix of 'happy christmas war is over' 'white christmas' 'silent night' wonderfull christmas time'
    so anyone wand a DJ for their christmas party I have the stuff to play!!

and as a bonus there is 'New years eve stomper' mix which is a perfect incentive to stay at home on NYE

who are the people that listen/like this stuff

Oh and hardly a good MJ dance track on 9 compilation CD's

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    cheeky girls - 'Have a cheeky christmas' and Fast food rockers - 'I love christmas' back to back on cd.........

Arghhhhhh
    cheeky girls - 'Have a cheeky christmas' and Fast food rockers - 'I love christmas' back to back on cd
    plus Santa's grotto mix of Greg lakes I belive i father chistmas (is nothing sacred)
    and to top it off a really ***** (cover version) mix of 'happy christmas war is over' 'white christmas' 'silent night' wonderfull christmas time'
    so anyone wand a DJ for their christmas party I have the stuff to play!!

and as a bonus there is 'New years eve stomper' mix which is a perfect incentive to stay at home on NYE

who are the people that listen/like this stuff

By the sound of it Mr.Lizard. this one was thrown out of the window, do you have a CD mangler in your toolkit for ones you can't stand ??

By the sound of it Mr.Lizard. this one was thrown out of the window, do you have a CD mangler in your toolkit for ones you can't stand ??
    no I sell them to ceroc

no I sell them to ceroc
    that should add some variety to the Greatest Hits compilations sold at Woolies

Arghhhhhh
    Sounds as fab as the Wurzuls' 'Don't look back'....any chance of an mp3 bits'n'pieces version? Just to get an idea

Commercial Operator
    Arghhhhhh
    cheeky girls - 'Have a cheeky christmas'
    Well the good news is that HMV are opening a new store tomorrow, 5 minutes from where I live.
    The bad news is that the Cheeky Girls are opening it, signing copies of their new disc. (and you have to PAY FOR IT!)
    So if anyone wants signed copies of this, let me know, I was going to get one for Andy Mc, but then I heard there is going to be a third cheeky girl, so I suspect he may be there in disguise

Greg

Originally posted by Paul F
    "We had been refused a loan everywhere......THEN.....one call to Ocean Finance and we were accepted on the spot and......

(this is the most ridiculous bit)

.......WE EVEN HAD MONEY LEFT OVER FOR A HOLIDAY"
    That's like the other one that goes...

"Have you had an accident, trip or fall in the last five years... la di da di da....." rubbish insurance claim etc. etc. Lunchtime tv they are every other advert

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Sheepman
    the Cheeky Girls are opening it
    Must go now for that opening, I'm hoping the girls and the crowd will have gone by the time I get there, but with a bit of luck the HMV dog will still be there.

Greg

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Just another few hundred to go...
    Andy, does this mean you're BACK ??
    Or just a temporary slip.
    And please confirm, that wasn't you - the furry one, with the Cheeky Girls earlier?

I was thinking "who can I get a signed copy of the single for" but it didn't occur to me till I got home, JB would have loved it!

Greg

Thread Information