Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many tracks do you dance?

How many tracks do you dance?

Is two dance tracks at a time the norm in your area?

When I started dancing (nearly 10 years ago) you were expected to dance to two tracks every dance. The local area being heavily influenced by the Mojive organisation at the time. Their dominance in the area has very much reduced in the last two years. I notice now that the followers with an expectation to dance to two tracks are in the small minority. I am not sure whether the two track thing was a regional anomoly or an historic idea that is fazed out.

Has anyone else (especially in the South) noticed this trend? Was the expectation for more than one track in any other area?

I still often dance two tracks especially with people I have danced with before. I just don't feel that I actually have to as part of ettiquette anymore.

Re: How many tracks do you dance?

I'm from the South, i've never come accross anywhere whereby it's seen as the norm to dance to 2 in a row. I often will dance to 2 in a row however, - or occasionally even 3 - if requested.... - personally I'll never do the asking for a second dance straight after, - unless of course we started halfway through a track, and I would like to continue

Misread the question. I was about to say 101...

I often do 2 in a row, especially if I am lucky enough to catch someone playful or it is just someone new to me and I'm enjoying 'first contact'. It's just personal preference though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Misread the question. I was about to say 101...

happy days, and good times

The only time I "regularly" really danced two tracks in a row is when I only get half a track for the first dance.
    I think I've turned down the fourth dance in a row - just on the grounds that there were more people to dance with and I would lacking if I didn't dance with at least a few of them. Highly flattering, but...

Quote Originally Posted by tanjive View Post
    When I started dancing (nearly 10 years ago) you were expected to dance to two tracks every dance. .
    10 years ago 2 was the norm in Bristol and two or three is my general preference
    but one seems to becoming the norm

fortunately, unlike AT, no one gets upset, if you only have one dance

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I've never heard of a certain number of dances being the norm - thats weird. I've never asked or been asked "Would you like some dances"

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I've never asked or been asked "Would you like some dances"
    Nik... Would you like some dances?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

If I am enjoying dancing with someone, as many as I can get before my poor victim finds an escape route

As standard where I dance it's usually only one. Even if I've really enjoyed the dance I wouldn't ask for another unless we started the first half way through a track, and I rarely get asked for a second on the trot (hope there's not a reason for that!). The only other time is when the first track wasn't great, and we stay on for a better one afterwards.

There's one person I dance with who pretty much always asks for a second - his reason being that it takes him one track to get warmed up!

I quite like only having one - means more time to work the room, and less pressure to dance a second time with someone you don't want to re-dance with. It also means more people are available to dance rather than finding that you can't get to them as they're dancing with the same person time and time again.

Of course, it disappoints my competitive nature when several of my friends get asked for second dances by people i love dancing with and they don't.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it that only 'one' dance has become 'the norm', then there's no expectancy on either partner and, if you ask/gets asked for a second, its a compliment

I often have more than one with lots of people, for a whole number of reasons.. we might have chatted for the first one or the second track might be a different genre etc.

But on the whole, I'll generally only ask for a second, if I wasn't the one who asked in the first place (just incase they hate dancing with me )
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

AFAIK one is the norm in the six years I have been dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I like it that only 'one' dance has become 'the norm', then there's no expectancy on either partner and, if you ask/gets asked for a second, its a compliment

I often have more than one with lots of people, for a whole number of reasons.. we might have chatted for the first one or the second track might be a different genre etc.

But on the whole, I'll generally only ask for a second, if I wasn't the one who asked in the first place (just incase they hate dancing with me )
    Who could ever hate dancing with you Lory

By the way A belated happy Birthday, see you on Saturday for a dance or two

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Nik... Would you like some dances?
    ooh yes please I never get asked for "some"

In my area one dance is the norm. I will often ask for a second dance if the first one wasn't to a whole track, but not always. I never turn down a request for a second dance though. I don't think I've ever been asked for a third.

Where-/when-ever I've danced in the UK (mostly London and Oxford over the last 10 years), the norm has always been one song. If it's halfway through when we start, we'll probably get a second dance (I don't often start halfway through; I'm more likely to chat to the person if the song is near finished, then dance to the next one). If it's someone I really enjoy dancing with, I'll probably ask for a second (or more), particularly if I like the new track that comes on.

In NZ (Auckland, mostly from about 2004-2007), the norm was always two songs. It was hard to have only one dance without seeming rude and sometimes, a third or fourth - for the same reasons as I got beyond one dance in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    ooh yes please I never get asked for "some"

Nik ....Can I have "some" dances too ...as last time I only got a dance with the flower man!!!

I rarely ask for another dance (much as I would like to), mainly because often with the gender imbalance it seems unfair to the others waiting.

But have always said yes when asked for another dance.

One is generally what I expect (unless you start mid way through a track when its only polite to have at least one full dance).
    After that it depends on how the dance went (especially with new people, I find the first dance is figuring out styles the second is really making the most of it), what the next song is and if they want to. I find I often have 2 dances and if its going well there are certain people I know will ask for 3 (music dependant). Theres one person I had 17 continuous dances with, though thats the joy of the Southport blues room at 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
    Theres one person I had 17 continuous dances with, though thats the joy of the Southport blues room at 4am.
    Now I wonder who that could be?

I tend to prefer one dance at a time, then I can have a rest. (I know I'm getting older)

Once I get into my stride, I can stay on the floor for longer.

I never ask for a second, but love being asked for one.

Thread Information