Thread: Modern Jive in/around Barcelona, Spain?

Modern Jive in/around Barcelona, Spain?

Hi
    I have an apartment near Barcelona on the Costa Brava coast & visit it once or twice a month. I'm having trouble finding anywhere nearby where I can dance?
    Googling jive in spain & similar doesnt seem to be getting me anywhere.
    Anybody any ideas or knowledge of the area that can help?
    I can manage basic spanish so just a contact would be great
    Thanks from a hopeful newbie to this site

Re: Modern Jive in/around Barcelona, Spain?

To be honest, I'm afraid, you are probably unlikely to find any modern jive in or around Barcelona.

We've been doing the Ceroc Barcelona holidays for the last 3 years and we have to have special arrangements made with the clubs in order to have our own dj playing modern jive music for us to dance to. Usually this means us exclusive use of a club for 2 or 3 hours, until they open the doors and let the public in, reverting to the resident dj and, usually, salsa music.

As you'll know, there are an awful lot of nightclubs in Barclona but none really suitable for modern jive. It's probably not what you want to hear, but your best bet is to switch to salsa or tango dancing, both of which are huge there.

If swing/lindy appeals to you, there is a lovely club called Maremagnum which has specific swing nights and, I gather, brings in some amazing dancers. Be warned, though, the music that we experienced there was very fast and jazzy - not quite the 'softer' swing that we might get at a typical Ceroc night.

Sorry not to be of more help, but I do hope you'll be able to carry on with your dancing one way or another!

Rachel

Thanks so much for the insight, even though you're right, it wasnt what i wanted to hear!
    I've dabbled a bit in lindy so I'll check out the place you mention next time i'm there!!
    Thanks again

Blog Entries

If it's any use to you, I like Swing, Lindy and Argentine Tango and could visit your apartment once or twice a month for you if you like?

Thread Information