Thread: Drought!

Commercial Operator

Drought!

It seems that the "barbeque summer" that the weathermen forecast for the country earlier in the year was just a sense of humour failure. But if you're luxuriating in lush green growth in your locale, spare a thought for us in this oft forgotten corner of the country.

Here the baked clay soil is as hard as rock, my 800 litres of water butts are empty. The grass is browner than a cabinet of Gordons, and any clouds we see just hurry on by. Every couple of days the weatherman promises rain. Liar, liar, liar! Yesterday I even saw a shower, it ran west to east along the coast and never made landfall.

It's hardly on the scale of the disaster in Greece, but even the local wildlife is under threat http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8220389.stm
    (I was so impressed by the high tech fire fighting methods used!)

So if you're fed up with rain, just remember it could be worse, my only chance of getting wet is grabbing the swimming trunks and strolling down for a dip in the sea.

Is there anybody else out there who is being consistently ignored by our weather forecasts?

Greg

Re: Drought!

The only day we came to visit you we had a barbeque and guess what... it rained.. (it was only a little rain but it was rain!)

The answer dear Sheepie is more Barbeques...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

Is there anybody else out there who is being consistently ignored by our weather forecasts?

Greg
    My parents live in Bocking, Essex and according to them, it never rains there either. My Dad's a gardening fanatic but his grass is a brown mess, which he's very depressed about

I was only telling him yesterday, he should invest in the artificial stuff and be done with it. They use it all over Spain now and it looks great!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    The answer dear Sheepie is more Barbeques...
    One of the more traditional rain dances, perhaps we should try it again, too bad we haven't finished washing up from the last one yet

The big news is, we had another shower today, even heavier than that one in July, I collected about an eggcupfull in one water butt!

If anyone has a favourite rain dance, you're welcome to come along and give it a try...

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    My parents live in Bocking, Essex and according to them, it never rains there either. My Dad's a gardening fanatic but his grass is a brown mess, which he's very depressed about

I was only telling him yesterday, he should invest in the artificial stuff and be done with it. They use it all over Spain now and it looks great!
    Can he not plant bananas, Olive trees, grapes and prickly pears??

!

If anyone has a favourite rain dance, you're welcome to come along and give it a try...

Greg
    Its been raining here most of the day and I think its due to cross most of the UK, so someones dancing must have worked , its seems to have pissed off the rain clouds.

Blog Entries

I'm sure Sheep don't like the artifical stuff, though...

So if you're fed up with rain, just remember it could be worse,
    as in the California where they have bush fires.

It never rain in California, it pours.

Greg
    I don't bother with them. Remember Michael Fish and the Great Storm?

Had quite a bit of rain in the last 2 days in Hackney. Good for the garden - in fact my garden is lovely and green. I have not had the hose pipe out this year.

Commercial Operator

Despite clear blue skies again today, I'm happy to report the end of the drought, I know how so many of you were worrying...

Over the last couple of days, we've had about 1/2 an inch of rain, as much as we'd had in the previous 3 months. The grass is green, and although it's not much, at last I have about 8 inches in my butts.

And to everyone in the rest of the country, thanks for all the water!

Greg

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

at last I have about 8 inches in my butts.
    Ooor err

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

If anyone has a favourite rain dance, you're welcome to come along and give it a try...Greg
    Didn't the annual Wimbledon 'rain-dance' work its magic in the London area this year?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    in the London area this year?
    oh thanks for the reminder, I realise I'd not updated my profile. There have been times I've driven back from London singing in the rain, only to find it stops a couple of hills from home.
    Ooor err
    Lory I can't imagine what your thinking!

Greg

Thread Information