Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the rudest thing you've seen on the dance floor?

Blog Entries

Re: What's the rudest thing you've seen on the dance floor?

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    I enjoy dancing as if there's a non-existent fictional entity between me and my partner. At least you don't have to make room for Santa...
    Pah! With the size of Santa, I'd have thought you'd need to leave much more room!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I walked off part-way through a track on Saturday night - it wasn't a track I'd heard before and I genuinely thought the track had finished and another one had started, so I said Thank You and walked away. It was quite a few seconds later (ie too late to get my partner back again) when the tune came back and I realised it was still the same track.

To a casual observer it might look as if I'd been quite rude, even though that wasn't my intention ...
    Been there, done that times N. Even did it twice to one 7 1/2 minute tango track once

I walked off part-way through a track on Saturday night - it wasn't a track I'd heard before and I genuinely thought the track had finished and another one had started, so I said Thank You and walked away. It was quite a few seconds later (ie too late to get my partner back again) when the tune came back and I realised it was still the same track.

To a casual observer it might look as if I'd been quite rude, even though that wasn't my intention ...
    Yeah, I think everyone's done that at some point. You can't know every piece of music, and I know I'm particularly bad at saying thanks and quickly rushing off after a track to target my next 'victim'.

That does occasionally happen - and (even though you shouldn't think like this) it can seem almost too embarrassing to admit your mistake. I have however heard of instances where that isn't a plausible explanation and it is difficult not to conclude it was just plain rude.

Commercial Operator

CJ could give you some help with this, he's quite an expert on the 'walk away mid-track technique'...

Commercial Operator

I've had my partner push me to the floor at the end of a track, then step on me as she headed off the floor. I quite enjoyed that though.

Apart from some unsolicited sleazy behaviour, I think the rudest thing I've seen is a dance teacher walking off the floor leaving the follow stranded. Maybe there's a reasonable explanation, but it's hard to know what that could be.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
    Last night I was utterly shocked / appalled as I watched a couple dancing. To start with the guy leading looked completely disinterested (you could see the follow was a bit miffed at this to start with) but then he looked at his watch as she came round to face him (in a ohh god what time is it, is the song over soon? kind of way). I was utterly flabbergasted and amazed the follow did not just walk off the dance floor. I know sometimes you have dances which just don't work for you but you smile and make the best of it, I felt awful for the lass he was dancing with. In case you hadn't guessed this kind of action really riles me, grr
    We don't know the full story, there may be some history there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I've had my partner push me to the floor at the end of a track, then step on me as she headed off the floor. I quite enjoyed that though.
    Apart from some unsolicited sleazy behaviour, I think the rudest thing I've seen is a dance teacher walking off the floor leaving the follow stranded. Maybe there's a reasonable explanation, but it's hard to know what that could be.

Greg
    I'm sure there are reasonable explanations in most cases.

The rudest I ever saw was when a girl was kicked badly on the dancefloor. Her friend rushed onto the floor and helped her off.

The guy she was dancing with did nothing to help, in fact he quickly grabbed another girl for the second half of the track!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I believe the concept crept in amongst certain churches/schools in America that considered dancing sinful (and I think this was way before 'grinding' - it would have applied to dances like waltz and foxtrot, too). Thus the biblical reference.

People putting extra chairs/ tables in the dance area, so they can all sit round the same table

but please to say it does not happen very often

Swirly Skirt
    Cellulite
    Thong

The time I had just been asked to dance and just as we were about to begin another extremely rude person made it clear to my partner that I must stand aside as this was 'their' track specially requested from the DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Pah! With the size of Santa, I'd have thought you'd need to leave much more room!
    And what if you're dyslexic? Then you'd have to leave room for Satan, which brings a whole lot of other religious connotations

There was a time when I was at a dance in Bristol and a friend of mine was dancing with someone (who shall remain nameless even though AFAIK he's not a forumite) who stopped mid-track to check his phone as a text had come through. He then proceeded to reply to the text while still holding onto my friend's hand! I'm glad to say she had the good sense to walk off and leave him there, looking stupid texting in the middle of the dance floor.

Another time I asked someone to dance and she was just standing up to come onto the dance floor with me when someone else asked her (unaware that I'd already asked) and she told me that she was going to dance with him as she'd already danced with me earlier in the evening and hadn't danced with the other bloke yet. This was part-way through the evening, not at the end or with a special partner or anything. I was left standing there, flabbergasted!

I asked a guy to dance at a weekender that I had seen just standing around, the whole weekend I hadn't seen him dance (ok I do dance and chat a lot so I could have missed it) so I thought I will ask him to dance he looked me up and down and asked if I WCS (at the time I had had one class) I told him this and he said no and walked off. I had to laugh as he wasn't gods gift in the slightest, but thought it a bit rude as he hadn't been dancing if he thought I wasn't good enough he could have helped me. lol nevermind.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I asked a guy to dance at a weekender that I had seen just standing around, the whole weekend I hadn't seen him dance (ok I do dance and chat a lot so I could have missed it) so I thought I will ask him to dance he looked me up and down and asked if I WCS (at the time I had had one class) I told him this and he said no and walked off. I had to laugh as he wasn't gods gift in the slightest, but thought it a bit rude as he hadn't been dancing if he thought I wasn't good enough he could have helped me. lol nevermind.
    Very rude to just say no and walk off with no explanation! This sort of thing puts us WCS loving MJers in a very bad light

A few weeks ago, at a MJ event, I asked someone to dance and as the track got going he realized that it was a very Argentine Tango-able track to dance to and attempted to lead some AT moves which I followed dreadfully and explained that I wasn't much of a AT dancer. At this point he saw that an AT dance follower he knew wasn't dancing and so asked me if I wouldn't mind ending the dance so that he could dance AT with her! I was stunned to say the least. There was heaps of tango style music being played at this event and it would have been easy to MJ to it.
    So I accepted the turn down graciously and asked sometone else to dance (who actually refused! but Scarface saved the day )
    Needless to say I won't ever be asking this person to dance again. The following week I got the results of my ballroom tango exam (honours). That made me smile to myself

Oh no hon that sounds like a horrible expeirence too. I don't know why people have to be so rude, it is only a few minutes out of their lives, not like a whole evening. Well done on your Ballroom Tango exam results babe, clever thing. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    A few weeks ago, at a MJ event, I asked someone to dance and as the track got going he realized that it was a very Argentine Tango-able track to dance to and attempted to lead some AT moves which I followed dreadfully and explained that I wasn't much of a AT dancer.
    Is there a huge difference between AT and Ballroom Tango, or was he just bad at leading?
    The following week I got the results of my ballroom tango exam (honours). That made me smile to myself

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Is there a huge difference between AT and Ballroom
    Of course there is but that's not the point. Being dumped mid-dance is out of order!

Trouble is - actions which may appear rude to the onlooker at a particular moment in time may in fact be a consequence of something else that is going on or which has previously gone on.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    Of course there is but that's not the point. Being dumped mid-dance is out of order!
    How can there be a huge difference if they are both Tango?

As for the rudeness, I agree. He sounds very immature and selfish.

Thread Information