Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the rudest thing you've seen on the dance floor?

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Re: What's the rudest thing you've seen on the dance floor?

Oh sorry I misread your 1st post Astro - thought it was you who said there was a huge difference - going senile I am. But there is a difference - I'm not competent enough at either to explain it though

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    Being dumped mid-dance is out of order!
    I used to know a MJ teacher who had a habit of dancing only half a track before grabbing someone different to dance with. I think it was his method of dancing with as many people as possible on a freestyle night. He didn't do it with everyone he danced with so you can imagine the psychological effect on those who only got half a track. Perhaps not surprisingly some women took offence and refused to dance with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    How can there be a huge difference if they are both Tango?

:
    there is a very big difference betwwen the two but dumping your partner mid dance is certainly a big NO NO in AT, and I cant imagine it's acceptable in ballroom or any dance form for that matter

That happened to me on saturday night, the guy walked off before the end of the record but I think it was because he paniced when his girlfriend returned to the room!! as they had both prior to this refused to dance with people who had asked them, plus he did say "just a quick dance" when I asked him. Is there such a thing as a quick dance I thought they were all about 3 mins long

Quote Originally Posted by jivebunnie View Post
    . Is there such a thing as a quick dance I thought they were all about 3 mins long
    Sweet Home chicago is 7 min 29 sec

Clapton's Stormy Monday lasts over 12 min

Yes they are longer but do you know of any shorter than 3 mins?

Johnny B Good is 2:40 (got this in an aerials comp and it was a fearful rush trying to get all our planned moves in).

Extreme case: Martin's Theme from the soundtrack to Swing is 1:23. I've definitely heard it played in blues rooms. (N&N also did a cabaret to it, but I think they added a reprise).

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    The time I had just been asked to dance and just as we were about to begin another extremely rude person made it clear to my partner that I must stand aside as this was 'their' track specially requested from the DJ.
    Provided the person who had asked me came back and got me later, I wouldn't think this rude at all.

I'd probably feel uncomfortable if the person who asked me carried on with me, ignoring 'their' track. I'd hate to think I was disappointing someone who had gone to the trouble of asking the DJ to play a special track to dance with a particular partner, when I could dance with that person to any other track.

Isn't it strange that the tracks I love seem very short, but in reality they are not.

Also some tracks seem to drag on forever, though they are only 3 minutes.

Time is not linear.
    Last edited by Astro; 2nd-September-2009 at 01:36 PM.

That happened to me on saturday night, the guy walked off before the end of the record but I think it was because he paniced when his girlfriend returned to the room!! as they had both prior to this refused to dance with people who had asked them, plus he did say "just a quick dance" when I asked him. Is there such a thing as a quick dance I thought they were all about 3 mins long
    I suppose you should be flattered that he chose you for his quickie!

The time I had just been asked to dance and just as we were about to begin another extremely rude person made it clear to my partner that I must stand aside as this was 'their' track specially requested from the DJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Provided the person who had asked me came back and got me later, I wouldn't think this rude at all.
    I'd probably feel uncomfortable if the person who asked me carried on with me, ignoring 'their' track. I'd hate to think I was disappointing someone who had gone to the trouble of asking the DJ to play a special track to dance with a particular partner, when I could dance with that person to any other track.
    If my requested track came on I would never in a million years attempt to displace a partner from the person I most wished to dance it with. I'd respect the fact that they weren't currently available and choose someone else to dance it with.

If my requested track came on I would never in a million years attempt to displace a partner from the person I most wished to dance it with. I'd respect the fact that they weren't currently available and choose someone else to dance it with.
    I'm not saying I'd expect to get to dance a particular track with someone etc, just that I wouldn't be offended if someone else did (though I would like the other person to come and ask me again soon after). It mightn't be a big deal for me to not get a special track with a certain person, but it might be important to that person, so I wouldn't mind stepping back and letting them have 'their' dance.

In the case you're talking about though it seems the person was being rude and unpleasant about it, demanding the person danced with them, not politely saying 'do you mind, but I've specially requested this track' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I'm not saying I'd expect to get to dance a particular track with someone etc, just that I wouldn't be offended if someone else did (though I would like the other person to come and ask me again soon after). It mightn't be a big deal for me to not get a special track with a certain person, but it might be important to that person, so I wouldn't mind stepping back and letting them have 'their' dance.

In the case you're talking about though it seems the person was being rude and unpleasant about it, demanding the person danced with them, not politely saying 'do you mind, but I've specially requested this track' etc.
    I agree with you about 'stepping back' for someone else when appropriate.

My original post was rather brief, however, as you correctly guessed, they were rather rude about it. They didn't speak to me at all, the music was quite loud so I couldn't hear what was being said to my partner. They just left it to my partner to offer a very hurried explanation to me.

Thread Information