View Poll Results: Do you want to be stretched dancewise?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • For follows - I like to be stretched

18 46.15%
  • For follows - I like to stay in my comfort zone

8 20.51%
  • For leads - I like to be stretched

19 48.72%
  • for leads - I like to stay in my comfort zone

5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you happy on your plateau?

Re: Are you happy on your plateau?

Never. If I get to a plateau and stop progressing I'll get dissatisfied and will enjoy myself less.

This does happen quite often, but eventually I've always moved on to a new level. If I get stuck at a point for too long, and I stop enjoying myself, then I'll probably stop dancing. For me, dancing without progress is meaningless (this is why I often voice frustration at the fact that ceroc, in my experience, does comparatively little to support real progression beyond the initial steps).

I learn basically nothing from my regular ceroc nights (no offence to the teachers there!) I might pick up a move that I've not done for a while or a variation I'd not tried out, but that's about it. At the last Ceroc weekender, it wasn't much different; as are the local workshops I've attended.

I do progress a little at regular ceroc nights, but this is very much dependent on who's there and the music. I do enjoy myself, which is why I keep going and have enough of those great dances to keep me coming back.

My dancing has progressed thanks to exploring other styles and dances. Blues (which is covered at the ceroc weekenders and local workshops with Nigel and Nina were great), WCS (which is just starting here), and Simon and Nicole's take on MJ (which feels like ceroc grown up). While I've not got into tango, Amir's workshops are great and I really like his take on musicality.
    Last edited by geoff332; 28th-August-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Forgot someone worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    If I get stuck at a point for too long, and I stop enjoying myself, then I'll probably stop dancing. For me, dancing without progress is meaningless........
    This pretty much describes where I am. Not so much on a plateau but rapidly sliding down the other side. I go to the occasional Ceroc night and really enjoy meeting up with people I haven't seen for ages but completely fail to get anywhere near the thrill and satisfaction I used to get out of dancing.

I still miss it, but have no idea what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    To qualify what I mean... if I'm faced with something new and I make a mistake, which I frequently do, it won't take me out of my comfort zone, in fact, it usually causes me to laugh at myself, which adds to the 'fun' element which I crave!

I think Lory is 'suggesting' guys drop their trousers at the start of the dance ??

I have been on my Plateau for about 10 years but i think it has heavy subsidence

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    This pretty much describes where I am. Not so much on a plateau but rapidly sliding down the other side.
    Is the slide because you're actually getting worse (perhaps because of dancing less). Or because you're enjoying it less, creating a phsychological vicious cycle? Or a bit of both...

I still miss it, but have no idea what to do about it.
    My only suggestion would be find ways of stretching and challenging yourself. Most likely it will require new venues and new teachers to give you knew challenges and new ideas.

That is, of course, assuming you want to do something about it. Doing nothing is a perfectly viable option if you no longer have the passion for dancing.

Is the slide because you're actually getting worse (perhaps because of dancing less). Or because you're enjoying it less, creating a phsychological vicious cycle? Or a bit of both...
    My skill & confidence level has definitely gone down a lot. I don't know if I could get back up to where I was, say, three years ago. It's also hard to tell how much is physical, how much is psychological. However, I certainly have never believed in accepting physical barriers. If I was dancing for 10+ hours a week again it would make a lot of difference.

My only suggestion would be find ways of stretching and challenging yourself. Most likely it will require new venues and new teachers to give you knew challenges and new ideas.
    I've pretty much exhausted the Midlands MJ venues - no prospect of excitement or motivation there, although I still enjoy it when I do go. It amazes me to think that only a few years ago I happily got in the car several times a week and drove for an hour just to dance. Another world, another lifetime!

That is, of course, assuming you want to do something about it. Doing nothing is a perfectly viable option if you no longer have the passion for dancing.
    I've not been "doing nothing", exactly. Tango, plus several other active hobbies etc have filled up my time very enjoyably. It's just that, if I could wave a magic wand and get back the passion, excitement and intensity I used to get from MJ dancing, then I probably would. That's why I said I still miss it. It was such a big part of my life for so long and it's weird to feel the lack of the drive that made me do it.

Interestingly, when faced with a difficulty in AT or WCS I'm keen to work on sorting it out and improving it. There seems much less scope for that in MJ.
    Last edited by jivecat; 9th-September-2009 at 01:08 PM.

I am very happy on my plateau.

I consider that I have learnt enough about many forms of dance, to be able to dance comfortably with any partner.

Followers who put in that 'little extra' to the dance, are a joy to play with. This is still in my comfort zone.

My skill & confidence level has definitely gone down a lot. I don't know if I could get back up to where I was, say, three years ago. It's also hard to tell how much is physical, how much is psychological. However, I certainly have never believed in accepting physical barriers. If I was dancing for 10+ hours a week again it would make a lot of difference.
    Everyone gets worse with age, Belief is largely irrelevant in that respect: there's a whole bunch of physical decay (which is why even the most dedicated professional sports person can't compete at the highest level after they hit the mid 30s. I know that sort of holds true for the highest level of professional ballroom...).

Interestingly, when faced with a difficulty in AT or WCS I'm keen to work on sorting it out and improving it. There seems much less scope for that in MJ.
    That is, in a nutshell, my biggest single issue with MJ. In most cases, there is a real lack of framework/structure for progression. That doesn't mean people can't take it to an incredibly high level, but for the ordinary punters like me who don't have time/ability to figure it out for themselves, there is something lacking. Other dance forms I've done have more structure there...

That is, in a nutshell, my biggest single issue with MJ. In most cases, there is a real lack of framework/structure for progression. That doesn't mean people can't take it to an incredibly high level, but for the ordinary punters like me who don't have time/ability to figure it out for themselves, there is something lacking. Other dance forms I've done have more structure there...
    Very good point, and I agree ... but only to a degree.

Unless I am getting entirely the wrong end of the stick, when I started MJ, the (very simple) structure was, essentially:
    [Initial step back]
    Do move (with some manner of moving forwards)
    Step back
    Step in
    Return
    Step back
    Go back to start.

Being a real simple structure (compared with, for example, anything with footwork), it is very easy to learn, master and break out of.

And once mastered, and that style's mistique has been revealed, maybe it loses it's appeal and excitement.

Bearing in mind that I have litte more than a passing acquaintance to most other dances, I find it difficult to recognise the structure to which very experienced and professional dancers dance within. Yes, I can recognise some manner of basic step, every so often, but between those basic steps, it seems as if they totally disregard any structure (doing it together), until the next basic(ish) step that I recognise.

Take a basic waltz; standard 3 time, evenly stepped. Technically speaking, there is no reason that a dancer can't put a double step (or preferably two) into a particular bar/set of three.

But I know for sure, that I would not be able to do that .... or at least, not until I was completely confident and had mastered that dance/style .... then get bored .... then give up!!!! [perhaps!!]

C'est voila

Thread Information