Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highs & lows of dancing.

Highs & lows of dancing.

Throughout my short dance career I have had quite a few high & low phases. Is this normal?

Here's my current one Probably like the others, it'll move on soon..

For a while now i’ve been trying to focus less on moves and more about musicality. A few things have happened – good & bad.

Good:
    When the music is right (for me), I feel that my dancing has progressed, - i'm incorporating much more light & shade, changing as the music changes and hitting breaks, as a result i’ve had some very magical/connected experiences on the dance floor recently, although the most memorable have been with follows who I really connect with as I feel I can really ‘let go’ & think about nothing else but her and the music, - and with follows who effortlessly follow everything which is lead the flow is never interupted and things seem to just get better and better as the dance goes on.

Bad:
    When I don’t like the music I feel completely uninspired. Uninspired to the extent that I really don’t even feel like dancing at all. The last three nights that i’ve been out dancing have all been ‘off nights’ - I haven’t enjoyed most of the music that was played, and have found myself sitting out watching much more than is usual (typically in the past i’d hardly be off the floor all night). When i’m not enjoying the music I feel my dancing has deteriorated! I can’t quite put my finger on it, - but I just think that nothing flows as well, - just doesn’t feel right. I feel like i’m not giving my partner a decent dance either as the passion just isnt there for me. The music has always effected my dancing, but I don't think I used to dance quite as badly to tracks I wasn't fussed on before as I do now. There seems to be much more of a divide now. I feel like i'm becoming really fussy!

I don't enjoy nights where I don't dance much, it's a vicious circle, as I don't seem to get into my stride when I keep sitting out a lot.

I’ll tell you what triggered all this, - a couple of weeks ago I had an absolutely amazing night dancing, - so many fantastic dances (excellent partners & music) – one after another after another, - I was buzzing so much, unable to sleep – & was on a high for days after I really felt like my dancing had taken a step forward.....

.....but the nights out since then just haven’t come close, in fact i’ve left the last three venues feeling disappointed, deflated, and feeling like my dance ability has left me completely! Why have things gone so wrong, - I ask myself. - Was it the partners?, the music?, - me?, I don’t know – but i’ve walked out the last three venues feeling a bit sad tbh.

I’m not sure why i’m posting (/babbling), - i think I’m just trying to make some sense of it really... A few questions i’ve asked myself:

Am I taking this just a little too seriously? Maybe I am, - and therefore, is MJ really for me? Maybe I would prefer a dance which IS taken more seriously by most of the people who do it (but then I would never enjoy dancing with elitist snobs, plus I do love many aspects of MJ, the freedom of the dance, variety of music, vast choice of venues, popularity). I get the impression that a lot of people just see MJ as an excuse to get out the house, - I can think of many people who’s dancing hasn’t progressed at all over the last year (again, perhaps there’s nothing wrong with this and I should just accept MJ for what it is).

Maybe I just need a break from it?

Maybe this is just another learning phase, - and i’ll get over it very soon!?

Maybe I’m just tired & I should get back to doing some work!

If you've got this far, sorry for the long post - thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Phil_dB; 17th-August-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Re: Highs & lows of dancing.

Let's hope it's just a phase, and you'll get your mojo back soon.

I often find after a weekender or a new freestyle outside of my usual region (in particular the big quarterly ones) spoil me with different music/Dj's and lots of different and good/great dancer/dances. Afterwards going back to my usual venues is a bit of a let down because it's back to the same old. But, I know that I'll get back into it again, because there's always people there I enjoy dancing with, and I know I enjoy the music that those dj's play too.

But I do often go to the larger freestyles (and even on occasion one evening of a weekender), and feel a bit let down or that I've not enjoyed it that much. It's usually because I've hyped it up so much in advance that nothing could ever live up to those expectations. However, I find all it takes is one great dance/connection and all improves again. And that great dance might just be a dance with someone who I've not expected to be a great dancer, but actually the dance has been a pleasant surprise.

For me, it's all about dancing - yes, i want to be a great dancer, and gel with everyone I dance with, but as long as I can get up there and dance to music I enjoy I'm happy.

My suggestions for you - possibly take a bit of a break, or just swap venues for a bit. A change is always good, plus chances are when you go back to your normal venues, there may be more new people, new music & it may just click again.

Thanks for your reply Emma, - interesting to read your thoughts.

Just to give say I mix up venues a lot, I always have - I have about 12+ venues I consider to be local, - and I don't go to any of them on a regular, weekly basis... - & aside from those I quite often visit venues that i've never been to before... - saying that though, i do see a lot of the same people at the different venues.

Yes, - isn't it funny how one or two great dances can completely turn your confidence around...

Phil

I can identify with what your experiencing, I usually find that you can have one great night and almost guarantee you wont get anywhere near the same experience the following night. The music played and the quality of the dancers (and floor) there does seem to have a big influence on what sort of night you get.
    Would definately try out a few other venues for some variety, but you could always try making music requests.
    Ive found a few bad tracks can put you on a bit of a downer such that you dont feel like bothering even if better music is played later, so if you get requests in early that may help!?

Its part of the game I fear, the better you get the more anal your attitude to music, when I started When I stated I loved the up to date chart stuff, now wade in the water or other more swingey or blues stuff with breaks in it, sorrey you are beyond hope

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    sorrey you are beyond hope
    I agree that music tastes can (and do) change, but I find I still like to dance to chart and upbeat stuff. For me I like the buzz and find 'pumped up' music makes me happier and motivated to get on the dance floor if I'm not really enjoying the other music that's been played.

I think where I do get fussy about music is who I'm dancing with for the 'good' music (breaks, different styles etc). For example, there's a couple of people who are decent intermediate level dancers, who generally I enjoy dancing with (in terms of having a bop, chatting, enjoying the music). But when a fab track comes on I don't want to ruin the track and lose the chance of having a great dance with someone who makes much more of the music rather than dancing through all the breaks etc. If there's noone at that venue I know that I'll feel that connection with, and I don't get given the chance to take my time and enjoy the music better, then that's when I get a bit cheesed off.

For me if there's a variety of music, and a good mix of dancing ability then I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    Maybe this is just another learning phase, - and i’ll get over it very soon!?

Sorry I think it’s normal

You have to accept, if you are on of those people who experience amazing highs. Then, for time to time, you are going to put up with the lows

One suggestion, unless the music is truly awful, try and stay on the floor

It’s when you come off the dance floor, and feel sorry for your self, the rot sets in

I think a break might do me good, - but I actually don't want to take one

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Razzle View Post
    I can identify with what your experiencing, I usually find that you can have one great night and almost guarantee you wont get anywhere near the same experience the following night.
    Weird that isn't it. I think expectation definitely plays factor.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I agree that music tastes can (and do) change, but I find I still like to dance to chart and upbeat stuff. For me I like the buzz and find 'pumped up' music makes me happier and motivated to get on the dance floor if I'm not really enjoying the other music that's been played.

I think where I do get fussy about music is who I'm dancing with for the 'good' music (breaks, different styles etc). For example, there's a couple of people who are decent intermediate level dancers, who generally I enjoy dancing with (in terms of having a bop, chatting, enjoying the music). But when a fab track comes on I don't want to ruin the track and lose the chance of having a great dance with someone who makes much more of the music rather than dancing through all the breaks etc. If there's noone at that venue I know that I'll feel that connection with, and I don't get given the chance to take my time and enjoy the music better, then that's when I get a bit cheesed off.

For me if there's a variety of music, and a good mix of dancing ability then I'm happy.
    Completely agree with all of that

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Sorry I think it’s normal

You have to accept, if you are on of those people who experience amazing highs. Then, for time to time, you are going to put up with the lows

One suggestion, unless the music is truly awful, try and stay on the floor

It’s when you come off the dance floor, and feel sorry for your self, the rot sets in
    Wise words. I think actually you're spot on.

Phil

Throughout my short dance career I have had quite a few high & low phases. Is this normal?
    Absolutely normal, yes. I think anyone looking to progress in their dancing will go through phases of improvement followed by plateau periods where their dancing seems to stay at a constant level (and may even feel a bit boring) for a while. Things will improve, given time and perhaps a bit of variation. Focusing on a different aspect of your dancing can help - if you've been focusing on moves, try concentrating on musicality instead; if you've been doing that, try working on new style points; if you've been doing that, try learning some new moves. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

I mix up venues a lot, I always have - I have about 12+ venues I consider to be local
    You're lucky. I have three within easy reach, and only two of those are any good in terms of music, teaching and ability level of the dancers. (The other one is rather poor on all three counts.) Unfortunately, dance politics prevent me from mixing it up between those two as often as I'd like.

How about if you stay on the floor, then periodically if you really don't feel like dancing go then change into a new top... I find that if I don't feel like dancing to one track, then this can refresh you with a break (usually only a track length) from dancing, give you a mental break, and provide you with a boost in both energy and self esteem...

Then plaster the smile back on your face(especially if you don't feel like it - on some level your body doesn't know the difference between a fake smile and a real one), and walk back to the floor.

Repeat if necessary.

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Absolutely!

It's a funny old thing - when new dancers get to the point when they've got enough moves and muscle memory to happily freestyle they very quickly get to the point where they are dancing to anything and won't leave the floor it they can help it. To a degree they couldn't care less what music is playing even if they voice opinions about what they do and don't like...

Some stay that way and are happy. You could say - ignorance is bliss. Others want more - they have a strong appetite for growth and want to keep learning. They look to technique and music to satisfy that hunger.

Sooner or later these "purists" feel an adrenalized buzz like nothing experienced before and, like a highly addictive drug, they are instantly hooked. The only trouble is that the drug is all too often cut and getting that hit can be a frustrating wait/search.

When this happens it is up to us how we respond and grow further. One thing I found myself doing is to almost go back to grass routes and re-learn enjoying the bop-bop stuff again. And just accept that it is a different sort of enjoyment. That way I can have my cake and eat it - so to speak!

Another thing is to focus more on how much your partner is enjoying it rather than yourself. It you can get a buzz from seeing your partner really having fun and enjoying his/her self then it won't matter so much what level they are at or about what music is being played. And like Emmly says - try to "reserve" your favorite tracks for when they do get played. I tend to eye who is about, see a lady I know is really great to dance with and wait 'till a good (for me) track comes on before grabbing her..!

My own opinion - don't take a break! Not dancing at all has to be far worse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Absolutely normal, yes. I think anyone looking to progress in their dancing will go through phases of improvement followed by plateau periods where their dancing seems to stay at a constant level (and may even feel a bit boring) for a while. Things will improve, given time and perhaps a bit of variation. Focusing on a different aspect of your dancing can help - if you've been focusing on moves, try concentrating on musicality instead; if you've been doing that, try working on new style points; if you've been doing that, try learning some new moves. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.
    Great advice, - and very comforting to receive confirmation that it's all part & parcel

You're lucky. I have three within easy reach, and only two of those are any good in terms of music, teaching and ability level of the dancers. (The other one is rather poor on all three counts.) Unfortunately, dance politics prevent me from mixing it up between those two as often as I'd like.
    I see you're from Pontllanfraith - I live in Surrey, - although I recently visited a friend in Cardiff... - I went to Mark & Lyndsey's class at The Gate, and "Modern Jive South Wales" at both
    Caerphilly and Cowbridge. Had a great time at Cowbridge actually, - everyone went to the Horse & Groom pub afterwards and continued dancing in the middle of the pub... - i eventually left about 1:30am - not bad for a Wednesday night!
    Last edited by Phil_dB; 17th-August-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Unfortunately, dance politics prevent me from mixing it up between those two as often as I'd like.
    That's Rubbish

Politics and dancing don't mix..! Everyone knows politicians can't dance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    Absolutely!

It's a funny old thing - when new dancers get to the point when they've got enough moves and muscle memory to happily freestyle they very quickly get to the point where they are dancing to anything and won't leave the floor it they can help it. To a degree they couldn't care less what music is playing even if they voice opinions about what they do and don't like...

Some stay that way and are happy. You could say - ignorance is bliss. Others want more - they have a strong appetite for growth and want to keep learning. They look to technique and music to satisfy that hunger.

Sooner or later these "purists" feel an adrenalized buzz like nothing experienced before and, like a highly addictive drug, they are instantly hooked. The only trouble is that the drug is all too often cut and getting that hit can be a frustrating wait/search.

When this happens it is up to us how we respond and grow further. One thing I found myself doing is to almost go back to grass routes and re-learn enjoying the bop-bop stuff again. And just accept that it is a different sort of enjoyment. That way I can have my cake and eat it - so to speak!

Another thing is to focus more on how much your partner is enjoying it rather than yourself. It you can get a buzz from seeing your partner really having fun and enjoying his/her self then it won't matter so much what level they are at or about what music is being played. And like Emmly says - try to "reserve" your favorite tracks for when they do get played. I tend to eye who is about, see a lady I know is really great to dance with and wait 'till a good (for me) track comes on before grabbing her..!

My own opinion - don't take a break! Not dancing at all has to be far worse!!!
    Good analysis!

As for focusing on your partner... yes - I 100% get a buzz from seeing my partner having fun, - I love it, - i'd much rather dance with a beginner having a fantastic time than a superb accomplished dancer who is looks bored & miserable as sin!

That's Rubbish
    The situation is rubbish, but it's also a reality.
    Politics and dancing don't mix..! Everyone knows politicians can't dance!!!
    Oh, I don't know - I've come across a few who can!

I see you're from Pontllanfraith - I live in Surrey, - although I recently visited a friend in Cardiff... - I went to Mark & Lyndsey's class at The Gate, and "Modern Jive South Wales" at both
    Caerphilly and Cowbridge.
    I usually dance at Planet LeRoc in Cardiff. I'm off to Ceroc this evening though.

This thread has made me REALLY want to know who you guys are!! You sound like the most rewarding dancers....I wonder if I will ever get to meet you??

I'm getting to the point where I sometimes like the music yet still can't be @rsed to dance. Not good!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascot Lady View Post
    This thread has made me REALLY want to know who you guys are!! You sound like the most rewarding dancers...
    I thought I was sounding like a fussy, moany old git

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I'm getting to the point where I sometimes like the music yet still can't be @rsed to dance. Not good!
    Why not, out of interest?

Thread Information