Thread: Question about a move...

Question about a move...

OK so in my first beginners lesson ever the routine was Side to Side into Astaire Lean into American Spin.

However, whenever I try to do something similar in freestyle, I usually get stuck at the same point.

After the side to sides, you pull the lady across in front of you to get into the right to left handhold for the Astaire. But most ladies seem to want to spin a bit so we end up right to right instead. I've asked my instructor for tips, but he just said to make sure you're pulling her straight accross not twisting at all, so I've tried this but it doesn't work.

Any tips?

Re: Question about a move...

No idea But here are a couple of tips...

But it may help if you visualise the space that the follower moves through to go from A to B, (draw an imaginary line on the floor) and make sure that 1) you're not in it 2) you lead her through it to the end. Try and do it without looking at the floor

Try sharing the movement: don't just lead the follower all the way from one side to the other - lead them so that they are in-front of you and you move to where they were (less leading required and less distance for anything to go wrong)

It's natural for followers to twist as they step - the simple process of transferring weight will shift them. Try to compensate for it and anticipate what they seem to be doing, then lead a counter to it: Most problems with moves don't actually happen when they seem to - they happen in the count/beat before. Find where it's going wrong, look at what you did just before it, and you will probably find a change there will resolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neu Wien View Post
    OK so in my first beginners lesson ever the routine was Side to Side into Astaire Lean into American Spin.
    But most ladies seem to want to spin a bit so we end up right to right instead.
    Any tips?
    Are you having this problem with fellow beginners, with more experienced dancers, or with everyone?

In part the problem you're having will be followers pre-empting your lead.

The three things I would suggest are:
    • Be very definite with your lead: draw your arm well across in front of you. This is a move really suited to a body lead, but that can be quite tricky. But make sure you lead it from your shoulder, not your elbow. And, as your instructor said, make sure your lead is dead straight and slightly in front of you. The lead to spin from that position is often quite subtle.
    • Step yourself. I'm not sure exactly they teach this in Australia, but to get the woman to step straight across, the guy needs to not be in the way. So a small step back off her line of travel. I also often step to the side, so she doesn't have to travel as far. As you get better at leading this, the step to the side becomes less important.
    • Timing: you need to let go of her before your right hand leads her to turn and catch her right with your left as early as possible.

One thing you could try, in addition to the above, is to make a gentle contact, using your right hand, with the lady's left shoulder/arm as she passes in front of you. As you both move apart your right hand will slide towards her left hand.

Hi Neu Wien

When finishing off the side to side you pull the lady across in front of you but half way across you take your left arm which is infront of the lady out in front of yourself then over to the left, this turns the lady anti-clockwise under your left arm. When she's 3/4 of the way around and just before she steps back you run your right hand down the back of her left arm to then pick up her left hand.

Remembering back to my starting days the first 5 weeks were all a bit overwhelming then things just fell into place. Therefore just give it a little time and I'm sure you'll be a dancing demon in no time.

Have fun!

DD

The Astaire Lean, I had to search the web for a description.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    One thing you could try, in addition to the above, is to make a gentle contact, using your right hand, with the lady's left shoulder/arm as she passes in front of you. As you both move apart your right hand will slide towards her left hand.
    As MarkW says the arm drape across the shoulder blades and down the length of the left arm is a good way of pointing out to the lady that you are trying to pick up her left hand. You do have to remember that for a follow there is a natural inclination to extend their right hand since in single-handed moves they almost always use the right.

The other thing I used to concentrate on was keeping the hand low as I was drawing the lady across in front of me. Any rise in the hand at all can be interpreted as inviting a spin by the more enthusiastic follows.

However, be ready for the fact that sometimes regardless of how carefully you lead the move the follow might automatically stick out that right hand!

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

I have tried the side to side followed by a slide across to end up either Right hand to followers Left Hand or Left hand to followers Left hand and it seems to work for me. Couple of things might be useful to you.

1) Instead of the usual (step in and face, step in and face), after the second step in let the lady step back a quarter turn to face you, while you under turn so that you end up facing perpendicular to her. If you are used to dancing in slots, this is basically you opening the slot for the lady to travel.

2) lead the lady across you as you move to your left, keep hold of her right hand with your left hand. When she is directly in front of you,let go with the left hand while keeping the right hand at waist level, continue to move to your left, she moves to your right. Naturally, your right hand should come in contact with her Left hand and you have your required hand hold.
    [If you kept the left hand at waist level instead of your right hand, you will end up with a left hand to left hand hold, you can follow this up with a flamenco )

Happy dancing

Great thanks for all the tips. I tried it out last night and it seemed to be fine! But maybe it was just that the ladies I tried it with had done it before...

Therefore just give it a little time and I'm sure you'll be a dancing demon in no time.
    Based on some of the compliments I got last night it seems I'm getting there! (I should dig up that compliments thread actually!)

The Astaire Lean, I had to search the web for a description
    haha yes I'm slowly learning that my first routine wasn't a standard beginner routine, Side to Side= strange footwork, Astaire Lean= random move lots of people don't know, American Spin= still the only move I've learnt where the guy has to do an actual spin like that.

In part the problem you're having will be followers pre-empting your lead.
    Yes, which is why I like to chuck in a few unexpected variations early on in most dances, usually stops follows pre-empting moves for the rest of the dance!

I'm not sure exactly they teach this in Australia, but to get the woman to step straight across, the guy needs to not be in the way.
    Yes, they do teach us at that in Australia!

If you kept the left hand at waist level instead of your right hand, you will end up with a left hand to left hand hold, you can follow this up with a flamenco
    That sounds fun, I want to learn that now!
    Last edited by Neu Wien; 18th-August-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Thread Information