Thread: Glasgow here I come!!

Glasgow here I come!!

I'm going to be working in Glasgow for a week, end of August. Apart from Jumpin' Jaks on Tuesday (which I am hoping to come along to) is there anywhere I should check out - MJ or WCS?

BTW I won't have a car so will be walking or tubing or bus-ing.

Thanks in advance guys.

M

Re: Glasgow here I come!!

Look forward to trying to work out who you are on Tuesday and hopefully saying hello

AussieJ'll be your man for car-less MJ and WCS in the Glasgow area - I'm sure he'll pop up here any hour now!

Hi

It depends a lot on where you are staying and how far you are willing to travel? Do you salsa or Tango? I know a few places which are quite central. There used to be a thursday ceroc class on a thursday, but at present there is no venue, if you are lucky they might have found one by your visit

If you check out the UK jive site, and find something that appeals, hopefully we can help with guidance on the travel.

http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/region-list.asp?RegionID=7

Look forward to meeting you on the Tuesday at JJ's

Which dates exactly are you up? The 25th? I will probably be there..

If you need to travel by bus First Bus Glasgow Map should help

There is a bus stop just outside Jumpin' Jak's (162 from Memory) so coming into the centre from the West is really Easy!

If you come by train, Queen Street or Charing Cross stations are probably the nearest, but even Central isn't that far of a walk..

Yes, I'm planning to be there on 25th August, and I believe I will be staying in Congress Road, overlooking the Clyde! Multimap says it's about a 30 minute walk.

I notice there is a new WCS class starting that night as well, however it appears there is only half and hour of freestyle so not really worth going to that I think, so JJ's here I come!!!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Yes, I'm planning to be there on 25th August, and I believe I will be staying in Congress Road, overlooking the Clyde! Multimap says it's about a 30 minute walk.

I notice there is a new WCS class starting that night as well, however it appears there is only half and hour of freestyle so not really worth going to that I think, so JJ's here I come!!!

M
    Ooh - You must be staying in one of the hotels around the Exhibition Centre then...Posh!

This page should help then 575 - Airlink That will get you from the SECC to Queen Street all in one go - then you just walk this short distance!

See you then Whitetiger

I'm going to be working in Glasgow for a week, end of August. Apart from Jumpin' Jaks on Tuesday (which I am hoping to come along to) is there anywhere I should check out - MJ or WCS?

BTW I won't have a car so will be walking or tubing or bus-ing.

Thanks in advance guys.

M
    Hi Mary, I just got back from Swingmasters Blackpool weekender.

MJ in Glasgow

There's really only two MJ organisations I know of in Glasgow, LEROC and Ceroc. You already know of Ceroc @ Jumpin Jaks on Tues night I gather? As for LEROC, take a look at their website (http://www.leroc-scotland.co.uk/) for weeknight times and venues. In terms of meeting up with Scottish forumites on a MJ night, I think the Tues night Ceroc @ JJs is your better bet (i.e. you'll meet Battlecat, whitetiger1518, LemonCake, firefly, Pretzelmeister, gamebird, etc). Franck may be there. And if I've recovered in time, I'll be there too

WCS in Glasgow

I'm gonna have to plug for the WCS class I attend on Wednesday nights (7.45PM start). The WCS class venue is located in Merchant City (pretty much in the middle of Glasgow city centre), easy walking distance from Buchanan Bus Station, George Square, and so on.

The Winchester Club
    49 Bell St, Glasgow G1 1NX

Google Map

Its 7 pounds for the whole night.

When is the last day of your stay in Glasgow?
    Last edited by AussieJ; 17th-August-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieJ View Post
    Hi Mary, I just got back from Swingmasters Blackpool weekender.

MJ in Glasgow

There's really only two MJ organisations I know of in Glasgow, LEROC and Ceroc. You already know of Ceroc @ Jumpin Jaks on Tues night I gather? As for LEROC, take a look at their website (http://www.leroc-scotland.co.uk/) for weeknight times and venues. In terms of meeting up with Scottish forumites on a MJ night, I think the Tues night Ceroc @ JJs is your better bet (i.e. you'll meet Battlecat, whitetiger1518, LemonCake, firefly, Pretzelmeister, gamebird, etc). Franck may be there. And if I've recovered in time, I'll be there too

WCS in Glasgow

I'm gonna have to plug for the WCS class I attend on Wednesday nights (7.45PM start). The WCS class venue is located in Merchant City (pretty much in the middle of Glasgow city centre), easy walking distance from Buchanan Bus Station, George Square, and so on.

The Winchester Club
    49 Bell St, Glasgow G1 1NX

Google Map

Its 7 pounds for the whole night.

When is the last day of your stay in Glasgow?
    Thanks for that. I think I missed you at Weston-Super-Mare earlier this year, although I was only there for the Sunday and had to leave fairly early.

Looks like it's not too far for the the WCS night on the Wednesday so may give that a go as well as JJ's on Tuesday.

I am flying back on the Friday evening 28th Aug.

Looking forward to seeing some of you next week.

M

And I'm gutted I missed Swingmasters.

M

Thanks for that. I think I missed you at Weston-Super-Mare earlier this year, although I was only there for the Sunday and had to leave fairly early.

Looks like it's not too far for the the WCS night on the Wednesday so may give that a go as well as JJ's on Tuesday.

I am flying back on the Friday evening 28th Aug.

M
    If you can make it to JJs, then its really only another 15-20 minutes walk from there to Bell St. I'm fairly sure there should be buses from near your hotel that will go into the city centre, where you can then hop off and just walk it to Bell St. It would be great to see you at Wed night WCS, as you say we missed each other at Weston-super-Mare.

I was going to add that there's also a new monthly freestyle WCS & Blues night on the 28th August, 8pm-12pm @ Pollokshaws Burgh Hall. But it sounds like you can't make it to that one

And I'm gutted I missed Swingmasters.
    I must say it was an awesome weekend - the French made their presence felt, the Scots came down and had a great run in the comp, many excellent workshops with the American WCS pros, Rachel McEnaney, Paul & Cat. And Michael Kielbasa, wow he's a top bloke - he didn't turn down anyone for a social dance, even up to 5am in the morning.

It was sort of like being at Weston-super-Mare again, the WCS crowd and the competitions (no team event, just Open Strictly and JnJ categories) - it was a great mix of international dancers and such vocal crowd support (esp. the flag-waving French!). You would've loved it I'm sure.

Yeah, I heard those Frenchies made their presence felt again.

M

Having not read your first post properly and spent a bit of time wondering which of the women I didn't recognise at JJ's last night may have been Mary...how will we know you when you get here?

Could I suggest wearing a red carnation and carrying a copy of Le Monde?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    Having not read your first post properly and spent a bit of time wondering which of the women I didn't recognise at JJ's last night may have been Mary...how will we know you when you get here?

Could I suggest wearing a red carnation and carrying a copy of Le Monde?
    well Mary has orange feet and you have red - other than that, you look very alike

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    well Mary has orange feet and you have red - other than that, you look very alike
    I hadn't noticed the feet - I did think she had spiky hair and a bit of a squint but the camera might have caught her off-guard in a breeze so I wondered if there were other pointers...

Yep, the orange feet are a bit of a giveaway. Look out for me tripping over them next Tuesday.

M

Well, I had a pretty full social diary thanks to forumites.

Had some lovely dances at JJ's, and Franck, you were sublime. And thank you to AussieJ for making me feel a bit special. And I promise I wasn't drunk when I fell over on Wednesday - honest.

Back home now and looking forward to Twisted Pure.

Thanks again.

M

Thread Information