Thread: 1st timers in Freestyle

1st timers in Freestyle

Well as someone who's now been dancing for a little over a month, 1st timers seem to think I'm supposed to know what I'm doing...

Anyway, I'm wondering, in Freestyle, what are some good moves to do with people there for the first time once you get sick of mixing up the lesson moves a bit.

I usually chuck in a couple of Baskets or the Octopus, and maybe a variation of the First Move if it was taught in the lesson. Are there any other good moves for 1st timers to learn in freestyle?

Re: 1st timers in Freestyle

I usually judge how they're getting on after doing the class moves a few times.

If they're taking a while to get to grips with it/have poor tension and are struggling to follow, then I'll generally stick with these moves, maybe mixing them round, and maybe adding in double handed moves as these are generally easier to lead and there's less chance of the follower 'wandering off' somewhere and being out of control. If they can't cope those I'll revert back to the class moves but maybe just adding in a manspin/step across as these are usually similar to components in other beginner moves they've done.

If they're really picking it up well, then I'll work through pretty much all of the beginner moves, and then try some variations on first move, arm jive, catapult etc. As long as the exits/entrances are recognisable to them, most first timers can pick these up or muddle through.

I think it's just about recognising the followers limits and noticing how scared/bored they look with the moves from the class.

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with. I have a few stock moves I use a lot with everyone - first move (with a lot of variations), man-spins, catapult, travelling returns, mambo (manhattens) and travelling arm jive variation. I find I can put anyone through them without too much trouble (although the people who stand there when I lead them to step towards me are hard to lead into anything; as are the ones who try and stop and change direction before turning under the arm I've just raised...).

The time the follow's been dancing is largely irrelevant. There are some who I know have been dancing for years and can't do much more than that. The other night I put a woman on her third night through some far trickier moves. The key issue is: are they following my lead?

Finally, if you want to give someone a good dance as a lead, then the best thing you can do is really lead and dance the music. Do those things competently with a few basic moves and you'll be far better to dance with for follows of all levels than the man of a million moves (yet rhythm escapes him).

I would say it depends on how confident you are with your lead.

My viewpoint is that first timers will not know the difference between a move lead correctly or otherwise. Unless, you happen to yank their arm or YOU give them a puzzled look while trying to figure out what went wrong.

Having said that I wouldn't put any fancy moves in either, there are close to 20 beginner moves to choose from so you can try the ones you are really confident with. I usually throw in an octopus, armjive, man spin, shoulder slide, step across, right handed back pass. Then depending on the follow i will add some more of the beginners move.

Even if you try something and it goes wrong, just continue to dance as if thats what you were meaning to do. Like i said if they are a first timer they wouldn't know the difference and after the dance they will be happy that they danced with you

happy dancing.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    you'll be far better to dance with for follows of all levels than the man of a million moves (yet rhythm escapes him).

Thanks everyone, a lot of food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I usually judge how they're getting on after doing the class moves a few times. ... I think it's just about recognising the followers limits and noticing how scared/bored they look with the moves from the class.
    The time the follow's been dancing is largely irrelevant. There are some who I know have been dancing for years and can't do much more than that. The other night I put a woman on her third night through some far trickier moves. The key issue is: are they following my lead?
    Good advice, judge it by each person, and I suppose if I'm unsure I can always ask if they'd like to learn a new move!

I sometimes have more problems with people following my lead with (some) experienced dancers than with beginners!

Finally, if you want to give someone a good dance as a lead, then the best thing you can do is really lead and dance the music. Do those things competently with a few basic moves and you'll be far better to dance with for follows of all levels than the man of a million moves (yet rhythm escapes him).
    I got a man with two left feet
    And when he dances down to the beat
    I really think that he should know
    That his rhythms go go go

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with. I have a few stock moves I use a lot with everyone - first move (with a lot of variations), man-spins, catapult, travelling returns, mambo (manhattens) and travelling arm jive variation. I find I can put anyone through them without too much trouble
    Quote Originally Posted by sindbad View Post
    Having said that I wouldn't put any fancy moves in either, there are close to 20 beginner moves to choose from so you can try the ones you are really confident with. I usually throw in an octopus, armjive, man spin, shoulder slide, step across, right handed back pass. Then depending on the follow i will add some more of the beginners move.
    Ahem, over 40 beginner moves for us Aussies. So I still don't know some of these ones which seem really basic, like armjive , travelling return, man spin, step across, catapult, etc etc (I do have a basic idea about most of them from Youtube videos, though I'd prefer not start using them until I've learnt them so I don't do it wrong and get into bad habits.) Instead I know random moves like the astaire lean, cleaver, pretzel etc. which can be a bit hard to do with people who haven't been taught them. (Heck, even half the intermediates look confused when I try to lead an astaire lean!)

So I'll follow your advice and stick with ones I'm confident with. Another Basket, yay! But there's a couple of different variations and exits as well. And the good thing is, you can do it back and forth till you decide what to do next!

Quote Originally Posted by sindbad View Post
    My viewpoint is that first timers will not know the difference between a move lead correctly or otherwise. Unless, you happen to yank their arm or YOU give them a puzzled look while trying to figure out what went wrong.
    Even if you try something and it goes wrong, just continue to dance as if thats what you were meaning to do. Like i said if they are a first timer they wouldn't know the difference and after the dance they will be happy that they danced with you
    haha I'll keep that in mind!
    Last edited by Neu Wien; 8th-August-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    If they're really picking it up well, then I'll work through pretty much all of the beginner moves, and then try some variations on first move, arm jive, catapult etc. As long as the exits/entrances are recognisable to them, most first timers can pick these up or muddle through.
    Depends though, I was dancing with a lady who was on her second week once, and she seemed to be getting the class moves OK and looking a bit bored of doing them, so I started doing one or two other simple moves to change things a bit. She froze, glared at me and barked "can we do the moves from the class please!" in the sort of voice that would cause a pitbull to soil itself at 20 paces. I didn't ask her to dance again and funnily enough she didn't come back...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I clearly remember my first freestyle, it was at the 'original Ashtons', me and my friend Jo went along and we were in total awe of all of these fabulous dancers.

I was quite happy to stand and watch for a lot of the evening and I definitely 'didn't' have any desire to dance with very good dancers (yet), that was far too scary and I knew myself I'd end up falling over and making a fool of myself (which I might add, has happened on lots and lots of occasions since, but the difference is, I don't care now! )

I remember coming home completely inspired and with a new outlook. I suddenly realised there was a whole new level to aspire too
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I went straight into freestyle on my first night having been taught an armjive pushspin...the yoyo and I think the catapult....
    In the words of Sophie Ellis Bextor..it wasnt murder on the dancefloor..it was carnage...I was everywhere..but do you know what..you have to start somewhere.
    5 weeks later and I have a wee chuckle to myself every time I think of night one.....

If they really are brand new, then a basket, an octopus, a step across and a first move, if these can be done OK then an introduction into an open worlitzer, maybee a pretsel, if they have trouble with the beat an arm jive. The trick for introducing new moves is one more added then repeated later and again and slowly introduce them to more moves constantly making it a little harder, but not overwhelming and try to keep it enjoyable at all times.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Neu Wien View Post

Good advice, judge it by each person, and I suppose if I'm unsure I can always ask if they'd like to learn a new move!
    That bit there, is a fantasitic bit of advice.

Talking is not cheating.

You can just say, 'do you want to practice the beginners moves or would like to try something eles'?

Neu Wien my lover, let me tell you what dancing is all about, it is not the moves, it is about the connection and looking your partner in the eyes, smiling and enjoying yourself. When you enjoy yourself you relax and flow with the dancing. It is really as simple as that.

DTS XXX XXX

The Horror!
    The Horror!!
    Oh !!!
    The Horror!!!!

Registered User bubblyblondenutter's Avatar

it doesn't matter how many time i dance in freestyle i still learn new moves and different styles depending on the person i am dancing with. i feel i learn more in freestyle than i do in a class.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblyblondenutter View Post
    it doesn't matter how many time i dance in freestyle i still learn new moves and different styles depending on the person i am dancing with. i feel i learn more in freestyle than i do in a class.
    In classes you learn moves. In freestyle you learn movement by a gradual process of introducing small changes, either deliberately or accidentally and keeping what improves things.

You are fortunate living where you do. If you have not done it before then go along to Francks classes on lead and follow, connection etc. Although I only get to dance with dancers from Scotland very occasionally they all tell me about his classes and I have formed an association between this fact that the exceptionally high standards of these dancers.

Not sure i really have the answers but i try going through the class moves a few times at first. Then it depends how well things are going. I'll normally try and add a few moves in there, returning to the familiarity of the class moves at times, especially if the dance is breaking down a bit. If they are doing fine then i normally try and put in a variation on the class moves as well, basket walk-round for instance or the basket back-and-forth, to try to get them used to lead and follow rather than remembering moves.

One thing i find beginners seem to want to do is head into the middle of the dance floor. As this normally offers a higher chance of bumping into someone (more people around you) i normally try to keep them at the side of the dance floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    In classes you learn moves. In freestyle you learn movement by a gradual process of introducing small changes, either deliberately or accidentally and keeping what improves things.

You are fortunate living where you do. If you have not done it before then go along to Francks classes on lead and follow, connection etc. Although I only get to dance with dancers from Scotland very occasionally they all tell me about his classes and I have formed an association between this fact that the exceptionally high standards of these dancers.

Totally agree with you.

Nothing much to say really apart from they are two of the best in the business.

And if you ever find yourself in a spot to watch Franck and Sheena (Tiggerbabe for newbies ) together then you will learn soo much...

I know that if it wasn't for their workshops, and patience I certainly wouldn't be where I am dancewise.

Cheers Whitetiger

Thread Information