Thread: Modem struck by lightning.

Modem struck by lightning.

Since a severe thunderstorm over my house in early July my wireless connection has refused to work. At least, my computer is picking the modem up as giving a strong signal but won't connect me to the internet. The phone in use at the time no longer works. My PC was plugged in and switched on at the time but seems undamaged. My laptop was not plugged in and seems OK except that System Restore no longer works. It won't pick up my brother-in-law's wireless connection either.

I really don't know what to try next. Consensus seems to be that there is a problem between the modem and the ISP server so I should buy a new modem, but I don't want to waste money if that is not the problem. Anybody got any ideas?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Modem struck by lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I really don't know what to try next. Consensus seems to be that there is a problem between the modem and the ISP server so I should buy a new modem, but I don't want to waste money if that is not the problem. Anybody got any ideas?
    Well as your phone and the modem no longer work I would try (in this order); a new adsl filter (i'll send you one if you need it)...a new phone (should be easy to borrow) and a new modem. Doesnt sound like the lightning damaged anything further than that, and in the case of the modem , it is clear that its only the WAN port that could be damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Well as your phone and the modem no longer work I would try (in this order); a new adsl filter (i'll send you one if you need it)...a new phone (should be easy to borrow) and a new modem. Doesnt sound like the lightning damaged anything further than that, and in the case of the modem , it is clear that its only the WAN port that could be damaged.
    I've already got a new phone, that's working fine. I have various filters and I think I've tried that, so it looks like it's time for a new modem. Should be able to get one on Ebay for £15 or so.

Can you shed any light on the System Restore failure? It goes through the motions and then says that it is not possible to complete it. I haven't tried restoring it to a point after the thunderstorm yet.

Of course, the thunderstorm may be a complete red herring. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that all this happened just afterwards.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

can you be clearer - was the laptop connected to the modem/router at the time of the lightning via an ethernet cable ? or was it not plugged into the mains ? or both

... not that any situation should cause a software issue with system restore - personally id delete all system restore points and then switch it on again - assuming everything is otherwise currently fine

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    can you be clearer - was the laptop connected to the modem/router at the time of the lightning via an ethernet cable ? or was it not plugged into the mains ? or both

... not that any situation should cause a software issue with system restore - personally id delete all system restore points and then switch it on again - assuming everything is otherwise currently fine
    No, the laptop was sitting in its bag in the hall, which is why I can't understand why it, specifically, seems to have a problem.

Thread Information