Thread: Hosting a competition

Question Hosting a competition

How difficult is the process of running a competition? Obviously, on the day it would be flat-out; but how much work goes into it in the weeks (months?) leading up to the competition date?

Re: Hosting a competition

Quote Originally Posted by RockHopper View Post
    How difficult is the process of running a competition? Obviously, on the day it would be flat-out; but how much work goes into it in the weeks (months?) leading up to the competition date?
    I can tell you it is months!!! lots of them especially if you are wanting people to travel – long distance or in the case of Aus interstate.

lot of times venues need to be booked at least a year in advance.

I’ve seen local comps pulled together in 3 months but for something bigger I think the latest I’ve seen advertising out is about 9 months before – and in a lot of cases here – dates are announced as soon as venues is booked.

Things for a big event tend to fall into categories of organising long range, mid range and short range – long range being those things you need to have in place when you start telling people about the event, mid range those things that have to be managed in the lead up, and short range being those things you can’t do until shortly before the event – so here are some quick thoughts.

Long range - venue, categories – and relevant rules, judges, advertising material, someone to collate scores

Mid range – keeping track of entries, organising addition staff – runners, door staff, marshalls, etc liaising with venue re arrangements food & Drink, dressing rooms, lighting etc, promoting,

Short range – finalising running order and staff allocation, assigning number ranges, sending out tickets, sending competitor packs, dealing with enquiries

PS - nice surprise to see you posting again x

Thanks Yli. I've been quiet on the forum for a long time; but the drought is over.

It appears that you have some experience with the running of competitions; or have you just been close to the action?

I suppose the first one is the hardest. Each subsequent year would benefit, I suppose, from re-using materials and checklists from their predecessor.

Thanks Yli. I've been quiet on the forum for a long time; but the drought is over.
    ooo goodie!!!

It appears that you have some experience with the running of competitions; or have you just been close to the action?

I suppose the first one is the hardest. Each subsequent year would benefit, I suppose, from re-using materials and checklists from their predecessor.
    A bit of both –have been involved in running parts of comps and just been close to the action – but mostly – it’s the stage manager/event co-ordinator in me coming to the fore.

Very true - First one is the hardest – as everything is new especially with regards to how the venue will work.

Subsequent years get easier due to experience and much of the paperwork frame work being in place – but you will find that you learn something new every time so there will always be tweaking to be done. That said some things like the finalising of the schedule never getting any easier really.

I think the single most difficult thing about organising a comp is specifying the eligibility for each category and then the rules the categories and the judging criteria as they will in all likely hood have a big influence on how people view the comp.

Commercial Operator

I would have no problem in telling you that we are organising our competition a full year and a bit in advance.
    The day after the competition we will sit and discus any problems, go through all the feedback forms, try to improve for the following year, book the tower, book the hotel, gather as much price info as posible etc.
    From that day on i would suggest there is not one weekend that we are not working on the UK Open Jive Competition.
    The 2010 comp will need a little more time spending on it as it is our 10th anerversary and we intend do add a little something special.

Thread Information