Thread: laser (?) lights on the dancefloor, - WDYT

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

laser (?) lights on the dancefloor, - WDYT

Quote from a 2007 post by "tiger"

"The only thing i didnt like was the flashing laser type lights"

I have been to a few venues in the last couple of months where a type of light is used that seems laserlike.

It has fine points of light in green or red, there can be hundreds / thousands of these swirling around.

I presume they must be an economical way of filling a large area with a light effect from a small portable presumably lightweight unit.

On one occaison, this appeared to be the only source of illumination during dancing.

Several folk I have spoken to find them distracting and sometimes become unable to focus their eyes.

What do you think?

John

Re: laser (?) lights on the dancefloor, - WDYT

If they're in conjunction with other lights I'm not too concerned about them, although it's a bit distracting when you see your partner have a laser pointing directly on their forehead!

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    If they're in conjunction with other lights I'm not too concerned about them, although it's a bit distracting when you see your partner have a laser pointing directly on their forehead!
    I have occasionally been so distracted I have actually had to stop dancing... I understand the price factor, but particularly the red laser type lights look like sniper sight lights

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I have occasionally been so distracted I have actually had to stop dancing... I understand the price factor, but particularly the red laser type lights look like sniper sight lights
    hmmm, reminds me of:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...69&postcount=1

After a few games on a public CS:S server you get used to it....

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    particularly the red laser type lights look like sniper sight lights
    Somtimes that can be a fun thing to imagine .

I like the effect but do think they work better in bigger spaces and aimed higher - on ceilings and walls.

I think that they are pretty and definitely add to the rooms "atmosphere"... but in general they should be pointed at walls and ceilings.

They are much less distracting than big flashing bulbs of colour that illuminate half the dance floor, blind you and give you slightly different shadows with every colour change. I have been known to dance with my eyes closed when next to these things; much easier to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I have been known to dance with my eyes closed when next to these things; much easier to dance.
    Same here! It's not all that hard to point lights (be it spots, lasers, whatever) in a sensible direction...

When it comes to my own personal taste - I prefer subtle and defo do not go for flashing, busy disco style lighting. So I guess Lasers would be out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy View Post
    Quote from a 2007 post by "tiger"

"The only thing i didnt like was the flashing laser type lights"

I have been to a few venues in the last couple of months where a type of light is used that seems laserlike.

It has fine points of light in green or red, there can be hundreds / thousands of these swirling around.

I presume they must be an economical way of filling a large area with a light effect from a small portable presumably lightweight unit.

On one occaison, this appeared to be the only source of illumination during dancing.

Several folk I have spoken to find them distracting and sometimes become unable to focus their eyes.

What do you think?

John
    Hi John,

I know exactly the light you mean as we use one at Twickenham, and you're right they are used because you get an awful lot of light for your money and also because they can fill a large space - the other advantage as you say, is that they are very compact and also don't run hot, so there's no issue from a H&S perspective and also no issue about damaging superheated bulbs once the light is switched off.

However, because the light has such an enormous throw in all directions they ideally need to be sited above head height and also angled upwards - this doesn't stop all of the random pin pointing you mentioned lower down, but it does manage the problem to an acceptable level.

If you find there is a real problem of dazzling at your venue then please mention it to the staff and I'm sure they would be happy to adjust the light accordingly.

I noticed them for the fist time at Ceroc Bath last night
    they only seem to appear on the ceiling so did not get in anyones eyes
    everyone I danced with seemed to like them

Franck and Sheena have been using them for a wee while now, and while they were annoying at first, they are now better positioned, and I've gotten used to them.

So no major complaints here.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

deleted
    Last edited by philsmove; 29th-July-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: not funny after all

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Franck and Sheena have been using them for a wee while now, and while they were annoying at first, they are now better positioned, and I've gotten used to them.

So no major complaints here.
    Ah - My own fault - I should go to more Rutherglen parties and stop doing so much muggle stuff

Whitetiger

I hate flashing lights, lights in my eyes and my especial hate is roaming laser lights. Relatively mild lighting effects I find irritating; laser and flashing lights at their worst trigger migraines and vomiting. I don't see the point of them at all!!

I don't go back to any venue I find really bad for lighting, as there is no point paying for an evening and having to leave early.

Thread Information