Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the 21st Century how important is it to learn to drive?

Re: In the 21st Century how important is it to learn to drive?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    My TVR made the current one look positively frugal - 22mpg on the motorway and sub-20mpg when opened up But boy did it sound good when you did...
    I'm not sure how you get worse milage on the motorway at NSL (perhaps measuring consumption on a track day, or an Autobanh).

Unless it is similar to Mr Brawn checking out his fuel econonomy on his Merc. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...-speeding.html

Quote Originally Posted by sindbad View Post
    I think you can take the question in two different ways

1) How important is it to learn to drive
    2) How important is it to own a car and drive regularly

..... Following are my viewpoint on that:

1) you can drive and reach places in case of emergency. ...

2) handy if your moving houses. ...

3) same for going on holidays. You can rent a car ...
    Another reason for learning to drive (when you don't intend to drive much) is that it can give a better appreciation of the risk that drivers pose to non drivers in different situations, and help to minimise it.

For example it isn't necessarily intuitive to expect cars to go backwards when stopped going up a hill, where the blind spots are, or what drivers are most likely to do wrong / what they have and haven't been trained on.

The UK is statistically one of safest places to drive a four wheeled vehicle (and getting safer). But the roads are far from the safest for pedestrians and those on two wheels.

The relatively high number of young people killed as vulnerable road users might partly be a reflection of that group not yet having learned to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

Another reason for learning to drive (when you don't intend to drive much) is that it can give a better appreciation of the risk that drivers pose to non drivers in different situations, and help to minimise it.

For example it isn't necessarily intuitive to expect cars to go backwards when stopped going up a hill, where the blind spots are, or what drivers are most likely to do wrong / what they have and haven't been trained on.

The UK is statistically one of safest places to drive a four wheeled vehicle (and getting safer). But the roads are far from the safest for pedestrians and those on two wheels.

The relatively high number of young people killed as vulnerable road users might partly be a reflection of that group not yet having learned to drive.
    A Top Tip is to watch what the wheels of a car are doing. don't rely on the indicator light - or lack thereof.

Cars are a menace to cyclists too. Well not just cars - all traffic.

There is a knock on effect where for their safety cyclist mount the pavement.

This puts pedestrian's in danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by sindbad View Post
    I think you can take the question in two different ways

1) How important is it to learn to drive
    2) How important is it to own a car and drive regularly

I would say, point 1, it is very important to learn to drive. Whether or not you drive regularly is a personal preference. If you like protecting the environment or rarely have the need to drive far, prefer public transport or are worried about the cost, you can avoid having to drive on a regular basis.

Some might ask, why would anyone want to learn to drive if they are not planning on driving regularly. Following are my viewpoint on that:

1) you can drive and reach places in case of emergency. If you are in Britain this will be unlikely as its against the law to drive a car if you are not insured for it. If you are on a holiday in some other countries, you would be well within your rights to drive a car. So you never know, when having a license pays off for you

2) handy if your moving houses. You can rent a van and move stuff without having to trouble your friends

3) same for going on holidays. You can rent a car and go places without worrying about finding the bus stop, getting to know which bus to take or paying expensive taxi bills.
    There is a relatively new Rentacar Scheme in London. There is a cash incentive to sell the car for Londoners.

Also, a CCDL is useful when applying for some jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I'm not sure how you get worse milage on the motorway at NSL (perhaps measuring consumption on a track day, or an Autobanh).
    Not quite following - I said I got about 22mpg from the TVR on the motorway and less then 20 when having fun on A- and B-roads (ie using a lot more revs than on the motorway and accelerating and braking a lot). I don't have that car any more sadly I was pointing out that my current car that averages about 23mpg may have been pretty poor but it wasn't compared to the TVR!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    There is a relatively new Rentacar Scheme in London. There is a cash incentive to sell the car for Londoners.
    I saw an advert for something like that on the tube the other day - it's still not a very cheap option unless you are planning on renting the car for a few hours at a time (£4 an hour I think).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I never thought I'd find someone with a car that get's less than my 26mpg!!!

ahem, I DREAM of 26.
    16-18 here

1996 BMW840

I saw an advert for something like that on the tube the other day - it's still not a very cheap option unless you are planning on renting the car for a few hours at a time (£4 an hour I think).
    It's called Street Car.

www.streetcar.co.uk

Is that the same one?

£3.95 an hour does seem a lot.

It's called Street Car.

www.streetcar.co.uk

Is that the same one?

I used to work with someone who rented a car from Easycar - it used to cost him about £8 a day (that was a while ago), but given his commute it worked out better for him than buying a car & having all the servicing costs etc.
    Don't know if Easycar is still around but would work out much better if you wanted to rent a car for a fairly long term thing rather than just occasional journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    ahem, I DREAM of 26.
    16-18 here

1996 BMW840
    Good choice of car and rather rare as well

Not happy you beat my TVR though Must be quite painful at the pumps at the moment

It's called Street Car.

www.streetcar.co.uk

Is that the same one?

Yeah I think that's the one. It's not cheap because it needs to pay for all of the things already listed in this thread (let's not forget depreciation as well, as that's probably the most expensive factor) plus make a profit for the company whilst probably having a number of cars sitting around doing nothing so that there is reasonable availability.

If you choose the right car, or give 'bangernomics' a go, motoring can be pretty cheap.

If you choose the right car, or give 'bangernomics' a go, motoring can be pretty cheap.
    It's Insurance which is the big black hole.

Especially if you live in London.

Buying a banger - the insurance will probably cost more than the banger.

Thread Information