Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the 21st Century how important is it to learn to drive?

In the 21st Century how important is it to learn to drive?

I was a reluctant driver but my father insisted and I passed my test at the second attempt (after a small glass of something I was one of the most relaxed at the driving test centre!). I am now really grateful to my father, although I still dislike driving, because otherwise I couldn't easily live where I do or have the job that I do.

I know of one or two non-drivers who manage their lives but spend long periods traveling by public transport. At least there are no car maintenance costs or constant filling up with petrol but there are also some restrictions and a lot of heavy things to lug around. However, they are relatively green in this area I suppose and I know I make a lot of wasteful journeys to save time.

I wonder what you think?

Re: In the 21st Century how important is it to learn to drive?

I wasn't that fussed about learning to drive at 17 like all my friends, but after uni wanted to pass to help with jobs etc. And now I wouldn't be able to live without one - or I would, but I wouldn't have the life I have.

I commute 44 miles to work each way (having moved jobs to avoid the 140mile round trip in my previous job) - I could take the train as work is near the station that is on my town's line. However at peak rate it would cost me approx double what my car costs me each day, plus I'd have to pay for parking at the station. I would also be restricted at what time I could get into work/leave, plus as I go straight from work to dancing 3 times a week, the train journey wouldn't be feasible. My work also involves visiting customers - one is in London, so I always go by train for that, but the other is in Bradford - a nightmare to get to by train (although we do tend to car share where possible if there's a few of us travelling up).

As I live in an extremely rural area, we have bus stops in the nearest 2 villages about 1.5miles away - buses run (I think) but only about 3 a day, so even if I worked in the town it still wouldn't be an efficient use of time.

When I lived and worked in Oxford I didn't have a car, as most of my life was in the city, and I walked/cycled everywhere. But now, it's just not feasible to cycle/walk/rely on public transport. I couldn't live without my car, and I wouldn't want to either - I enjoy driving too much.

When I was living and working in Bristol I didn't have a car - my bike did all my transport, or I could cadge a lift if I had something big or heavy to move. Now though I really do need one, although I'd prefer not to use it so much...

The Dashing Moderator

There was something in the news yesterday saying that the cost of public transport has gone up by around 50% over the last 30 years, but the cost of running a car has gone down by 17%. So public transport is getting more expensive (which means less people use it, which leads to a vicious circle).

For me, public transport would be considerably more expensive than travelling by car, and virtually non-existent as a means of getting home from late-night dancing.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    For me, public transport would be considerably more expensive than travelling by car, and virtually non-existent as a means of getting home from late-night dancing.
    Despite spending about £5000 on lessons so far, I've never passed my driving test. Practically, it means that I have to live close to work and dance only at my local venue (there wasn't even one of those when I moved here). The logisitics of a hike to catch a bus to catch a train to go to anywhere interesting means that I spend most weekends at home, alone.

If you live outside big cities, you have to drive, or have an internet Forum to kill all your spare time on.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    As I live in an extremely rural area, we have bus stops in the nearest 2 villages about 1.5miles away - buses run (I think) but only about 3 a day.
    Me too, except that we have 3 buses a week (though only if you ring the day before to ask them to pass by the village).
    With no shop/pub at all within 6 miles, living without a car would mean returning to life in the 1930s around here!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    There was something in the news yesterday saying that the cost of public transport has gone up by around 50% over the last 30 years, but the cost of running a car has gone down by 17%. So public transport is getting more expensive
    Further you've got to consider that your car is probably considerably better quality / a better experience to drive in than it was 30 years ago.

This is frequently not the case (or indeed is the other way around) comparing 30 yrs old trains and the experience with modern ones.

I've no idea why buses have to be such a bad experience. I'd hate to think how bad they would have had to be 30 years ago to have much improved.

The car is also much safer for the occupants (whereas safety improvements for trains / buses have been marginal).

(which means less people use it, which leads to a vicious circle).
    Buses perhaps (more rather than less people have been using trains for the last 15+ years or so)

public transport would be considerably more expensive than travelling by car, and virtually non-existent as a means of getting home from late-night dancing
    Despite more people using trains, late night trains have been progressively reduced, so even if you live in a city it often isn't possible go get home by public transport.

But organisers don't help by holding events in places innaccessible by public transport (Daventry is a good example).

I have been driving for over 30 years and cannot image what my life would be like without this ability. Have driven all over the country and abroad (don’t ask about my carbon footprint). I hate using London Transport it is dirty, crowded and unreliable. We have a little group from our area and we do try to car share not only for the company but it does help to be a little more environmental (you know what I haven’t even convinced myself with that argument)

I haven't been able to learn to drive because of health reasons...

I used to live in a part of Glasgow that was dependent on a bus that said it was every 20 minutes, and was actually between every 30 minutes to an hour apart (if that) At that point I mainly relied on lifts or taxis.

I now live in an area that has 3 buses and any of them will get me to the train or underground stations.. All these buses are well used (have seen them pretty crowded at 9.30 or 10pm!) and anywhere I either don't feel safe getting to by bus or train, or can't get to by them, I get a taxi (or bribe drivers with home baking).

Overall not a bad move (for me anyway). I don't really miss the expense of driving (which I hear as horror stories from friends) particularly when comparing it to the cost of my bus card.

I'm sure I would feel differently about the convenience / expense balance if i lived elsewhere.

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads
    well... you didn't specify which end of the 21st Century.

I don't drive yet.. but it's on my very urgent list of "things to do".. it's #2 to be precise after #1 "Get Married!"

A car is nice to have but for me it's not high on my list of priorities (other than being #2 on my list of priorities )

Let us just say that Some would say me being tea total and not driving is a waste of a potential designated driver.. and Some would prefer I drove to .. ahem.. facilitate that service when required

me personally... I'm happy with the bus, tube, Shank's Pony (although these days Shank's Pony tends to get a bit lame after a few miles .. It really needs a one way trip to the glue factory to be honest!)

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I don't really miss the expense of driving (which I hear as horror stories from friends)
    Last couple of months expenses on my car:

£240 service
    £515 brakes (pads all round, discs on the front)
    £520 insurance
    £360 tyres

Posh cars are being set on fire in Berlin because they are big gas guzzlers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...lin-arson-cars
    Last edited by Astro; 4th-August-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...lin-arson-cars
    Clearly the arsonists have no idea what big gas guzzling cars are if the picture in the article is anything to go by - it's a Peugeot 306 Convertible which is neither big, or gas guzzling. Better not take my 23mpg car to Berlin then...

Cool Re: In the 21st Century how important is it to learn to drive?

Posh cars are being set on fire in Berlin...
    ...by some bitter people who can't afford to buy one of their own (while trying to justify the venom created by their own inadequacy by calling their selfish actions environmental concern)

The Dashing Moderator

Where does it say that?
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Clearly the arsonists have no idea what big gas guzzling cars are if the picture in the article is anything to go by - it's a Peugeot 306 Convertible which is neither big, or gas guzzling. Better not take my 23mpg car to Berlin then...
    BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought I'd find someone with a car that get's less than my 26mpg!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought I'd find someone with a car that get's less than my 26mpg!!!

My TVR made the current one look positively frugal - 22mpg on the motorway and sub-20mpg when opened up But boy did it sound good when you did...

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    My TVR made the current one look positively frugal - 22mpg on the motorway and sub-20mpg when opened up But boy did it sound good when you did...
    Suppose they won't throw eggs at it in Tunbridge Wells - too posh.

You are right David Y, it's not about getting rid of gas guzzlers to cut carbon emissions.

Seems to be Stoke Bloke says.
    Last edited by Astro; 6th-August-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Suppose they won't throw eggs at it in Tunbridge Wells - too posh.
    Maybe poached?

I think you can take the question in two different ways

1) How important is it to learn to drive
    2) How important is it to own a car and drive regularly

I would say, point 1, it is very important to learn to drive. Whether or not you drive regularly is a personal preference. If you like protecting the environment or rarely have the need to drive far, prefer public transport or are worried about the cost, you can avoid having to drive on a regular basis.

Some might ask, why would anyone want to learn to drive if they are not planning on driving regularly. Following are my viewpoint on that:

1) you can drive and reach places in case of emergency. If you are in Britain this will be unlikely as its against the law to drive a car if you are not insured for it. If you are on a holiday in some other countries, you would be well within your rights to drive a car. So you never know, when having a license pays off for you

2) handy if your moving houses. You can rent a van and move stuff without having to trouble your friends

3) same for going on holidays. You can rent a car and go places without worrying about finding the bus stop, getting to know which bus to take or paying expensive taxi bills.

Thread Information