Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have just seen...

Re: I have just seen...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Haven't see The Core.... but I'll have a look at the Sunshine Wiki.
    I do wonder about this - if we take for example) a truly daft piece of SF (Transformers springs to mind) - there's absolutely no point in trying to pick holes in the science. Where would you start? There's no science to pick holes in.
    Totally agree. That's why I spoke of the different ethos. (Plural of ethos, anyone? Ethoides?)

Like, if you're watching Dr Who and someone dressed like a wizard appears, waves a wand and makes magical things happening - you will expect to be given a (pseudo-) scientific rationale for this - that the wand is a kind of super-sonic-screwdriver (see what I did there) from an extra-galactic civilisation, capable of manipulating entangled particles at a quantum level... or whatever.

There are certain expectations which partly, the viewer takes with him or her into the cinema, and partly, are built in the opening scenes of the film. If you are watching something more akin to Transformers, as you point out, you don't expect much logic (though you might retch at robots that mince like Alan Carr and squabble like the Trotter brothers) or science. It's basically kids' adventure comic with a few technology trappings.

On the other hand, if you are watching a Superman movie, you don't expect to find a subplot involving My little pony horses taking over the US Navy.

District 9.

Like a lot of people on rottentomatoes I highly recommend this. Best film I've seen in a long while. We didn't have a clue what this film was about before we watched it (best way), - it had us glued to our seats & fixated from start to finish, - very original, emotional, & even funny in places, - superb.

I agree, I saw it for the first time the other day and thought it was awesome.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    District 9.

Like a lot of people on rottentomatoes, I highly recommend this. Best film I've seen in a long while.
    Mmm. I second that - it's a wonderful film, and in fact, my copy of the DVD should be winging its way towards me even as I type this. (Along with my copy of Transformers 2, but I promise faithfully I'm deeply ashamed about that. Transformers 2 is utter mindless drivel. Just mindless drivel that I happened to enjoy)

Anyway, I've just seen Avatar.

A cliched rehash of Dances with Wolves, set in outer space, starring a bunch of James Cameron stereotypes (I'd say that the only one who truly shines in this film is Zoe Saldana's character)

On the other hand, I'd still recommend watching it, preferrably on the biggest screen you can possibly find. It is the most visually amazing film I've ever seen, and in that one respect, it lives up to the hype - the world they've created in this film is utterly astounding, very very beautiful, and a joy to watch. To my mind, the best sections of the film are those spent simply exploring that world, and all I could happily have done without all the wham-bang action scenes in the last act, spectactular though they were. Anyway - I'm going back to see it again this weekend. On IMAX. In 3D.

Commercial Operator

Anyway, I've just seen Avatar.
    -snip-
    Just caught up with this and all I can say is disappointing - to think it was nominated as a best picture at the Oscars ...........

Due to lack of time & some quality telly (Mad Men for a start) I had a large back catalogue of films to watch recently on Blu Ray & I have to say I was really impressed by Let the Right One In & I was captivated by Shutter Island (interesting to compare that to Mr Di Caprio's other huge film of 2010 - Inception, both in visual & thematic terms) I recommend both

Shutter Island also has a quite beautiful song playing during its closing credits - This Bitter Earth (On the nature of daylight) by Max Richter & Dinah Washington

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    I was captivated by Shutter Island (interesting to compare that to Mr Di Caprio's other huge film of 2010 - Inception, both in visual & thematic terms) I recommend both

Shutter Island also has a quite beautiful song playing during its closing credits - This Bitter Earth (On the nature of daylight) by Max Richter & Dinah Washington
    I watched Shutter Island on NYD, I had never heard of it before! I thought it was an excellent film! I also watched Inception for the second time on NYE and I now understand it all.

Yes District 9 was good, saw it about 18 months ago.

Have very recently watched the Last Legion. If you accept it as just fantasy it is great, quite funny and with Colin Firth, Ben Kingsley and Ashwiriya Rai. And with a nice twist at the end.

Not as good though IMHO as the Princess Bride, my all time fave movie.

The King's Speech

Firth at his absolute best
    Bonham Carter is pretty good too
    Add it to your must see list

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I watched Shutter Island on NYD, I had never heard of it before! I thought it was an excellent film! I also watched Inception for the second time on NYE and I now understand it all.

This was my favourite film of last year. I had tried to read the book but never got in to it (probably because I read 2 lines and fell asleep each time). I am ashamed to say I never saw the twist coming. Leonardo Dicaprio was brilliant in the leading role. I preferred this to Inception. I have changed my opinion on Leonardo Dicaprio, since seeing him in the Departed and realised what a good actor he can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I am ashamed to say I never saw the twist coming.

Me neither. Even when the twist came I still sat looking at the telly scratching my head for a wee while.

Leonardo Dicaprio was brilliant in the leading role. I have changed my opinion on Leonardo Dicaprio, since seeing him in the Departed and realised what a good actor he can be.

The Perfect Woman!

I saw "Never let me go" on the plane.
    Stars Keira Knightly (don't let that put you off), Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield.

I absolutely loved it, although it is dark and unsettling and very sad - its extremely embarrassing to be sobbing whilst sitting in close proximity to a complete stranger...

Not released here in singapore until march, and not in the Uk until February, but already on limited release in the states.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    The King's Speech

Firth at his absolute best
    Bonham Carter is pretty good too
    Add it to your must see list
    I'll second that - we saw it at the weekend, and loved it. Wonderful film.

Commercial Operator

I am ashamed to say I never saw the twist coming.
    But which one did you see after it came - there are 4 possible interpretations of the twist which I won't expand on here but you can find them on IMDB (personally, I think there are two)

But which one did you see after it came - there are 4 possible interpretations of the twist which I won't expand on here but you can find them on IMDB (personally, I think there are two)
    Ooh I did not know that

Don't want to give too much away but the version I saw was an elaborate collaboration with his delusions. Thankfully it was fiction because they would be very poor psychiatric treatment. It did make for a very tense psychological thriller though

(personally, I think there are two)
    Thank Christ for that, I'm not the only one who though the end was, by no means, a foregone conclusion.

I'll second that - we saw it at the weekend, and loved it. Wonderful film.
    appp-retnly Fff...fith has bbb..been nnnn..omianted for an Osssscaca car

I saw Black Swan last night.

It's not a dance movie. It's not a nice movie. It's very divisive: some people think it's trite, unoriginal and gratuitous (particularly in the US where they have hangups about certain things) and others love it.

I loved it. It's genuinely brilliant.

I don't think I've ever seen a single SF film which would stand up to close scrutiny.
    It's not a question of 'close scrutiny', it's a gaping hole in the basic premise.

Next up: someone will demonstrate how the boring machine in Core could have tunnelled through solid rock without any mechanism whatsoever capable of disposing of the displaced material....

King's speech was my top film for January.

No. 2 place goes (for the name if for nothing else) to Nude nuns with big guns....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    King's speech was my top film for January.]....
    Mind you it is really down to Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush.

Thread Information