Thread: My first visit to York: recommendations?

My first visit to York: recommendations?

Hi all, I'm planning on making a trip to York over 1-2 days, probably Mon 27th July and Tue 28th July next week. I'm going by train so I'll be alighting at the York Railway Station.

Things to do/sightsee in York?
    I was wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations on things to sightsee in York? I've already picked out York Minster and the Jorvik Centre as two places I want to visit.

Accommodation in York?
    I don't suppose anyone here may know of a York-based dancer who would be so kind as to let me crash at their place for just the one night ? (sleeping on the floor is fine!)

Or failing that - has anyone got any decent cost-effective B&Bs or hostels they know of that they'd recommend to me?

Incidentally, dancing in York?
    Incidentally, is there any Ceroc/modern jive dance events/nights in York, on Monday and/or Tues? Not a big priority for me, I'm just curious if there's anything dance related going on in York...

Any advice on the above would be so much appreciated by me, thanks in advance!

AussieJ

Re: My first visit to York: recommendations?

I'd recommend going on a river boat guided tour - there are some interesting sites and it doesn't take too long.

I'm not a big fan of ghost walks - although the one in York was definitely the best I have been on.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieJ View Post
    Hi all, I'm planning on making a trip to York over 1-2 days, probably Mon 27th July and Tue 28th July next week. I'm going by train so I'll be alighting at the York Railway Station.

Things to do/sightsee in York?
    I was wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations on things to sightsee in York? I've already picked out York Minster and the Jorvik Centre as two places I want to visit.

Accommodation in York?
    I don't suppose anyone here may know of a York-based dancer who would be so kind as to let me crash at their place for just the one night ? (sleeping on the floor is fine!)

Or failing that - has anyone got any decent cost-effective B&Bs or hostels they know of that they'd recommend to me?

Incidentally, dancing in York?
    Incidentally, is there any Ceroc/modern jive dance events/nights in York, on Monday and/or Tues? Not a big priority for me, I'm just curious if there's anything dance related going on in York...

Any advice on the above would be so much appreciated by me, thanks in advance!

AussieJ
    Tadcaster Jive on a Tuesday is very good (short way out of York, but worth it) http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/org-details.asp?OrgID=222

Definitely have to see the Jorvik Viking Centre. It's great fun.

Also, if you have transport and like WW2, there's a fab place called Eden Camp near York. which is a museum based in an old POW camp. Very intersting.
    Last edited by frolicols; 21st-July-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks everyone for the sightseeing recommendations - but can anyone help me with an overnight stay at York?

e.g. a York dancer who could be so gracious as to let me crash on their floor/couch on Tues night

If I don't hear from anyone, I guess I'll take the plunge and find one of the myriad B&Bs and hope that it works out alright (and not too expensive)...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieJ View Post
    Thanks everyone for the sightseeing recommendations - but can anyone help me with an overnight stay at York?

e.g. a York dancer who could be so gracious as to let me crash on their floor/couch on Tues night

If I don't hear from anyone, I guess I'll take the plunge and find one of the myriad B&Bs and hope that it works out alright (and not too expensive)...

I thought that Gus was around York way at the mo ... but could be wrong.

Try PMing or emailing him.

I'd recommend Jorvick and the National Railway Museum.

Few suggestions;

1. Take a walk a long a section of the old city walls.

2. If you are into culture, the art gallery is good.

3. Personally, the first place I make a bee line for in York is Taylor's tea room. Betty's is more famous but I like Taylor's better (although it is all in one ownership so the food etc. is more or less the same).

4. The shopping is fab.

5. York has a lot of decent pubs.

If noone else can help with accomodation how about the Youth Hostel system?

If that hostel isn't around where you are headed, then they suggest a few more..

The Youth Hostel in Aberdeen made my 3 day stay £50 instead of £150 (Station Hotel prices), which allows me to go to more dancing events.... depends what kind of accomodation you are after - I generally just need a bed to crash

Hope that helps?

Whitetiger

Awesome suggestions everyone, I was originally intending to do York Minster and the Jorvik Centre.

But I'm now hopefully going to be able to fit in the National Railway Museum, a guided river tour, a walk along city walls. If I can find time for the tea room and/or pubs, that'll be good too!

As for the ghost walk and art gallery, I'm a bit hesitant - I'm not really into ghosts or supernatural stuff as such, so I'm not sure I'd get anything out of it?! And I profess to not being a massive art gallery appreciation person :-/

And thanks heaps to Gus, I'm able to stay at his place on Mon night At this stage I've been told that Mon nights are poor in terms of available dance classes/events in the York area, so I'm just inclined to give it a miss and concentrate on the sightseeing

So that leaves Monday and two-thirds of the day on Tuesday for me to explore all the above (if possible).

I now just have to pick how early I want to get into York by train - from the National Rail website, I could leave Glasgow at 6AM sharp and get to York at 9.30AM onwards.

So ... you came, you saw, you managed to avoid the dancing .... what did you think of God's Own Territory, esp the Yorkshire pud?

What a fantastic trip to York that was! I'm so glad I came on down, even without the dancing!

First of all, MASSIVE thanks must go to you Gus and Lynsey for being such marvellous hosts on Monday night - that really was a fab way of spending an evening in York

I definitely underestimated the time it took me to sightsee and take photos at York Minster and York Castle Museum (thanks Lynsey!!!) - I didn't end up going to Jorvik, the National Railway Museum, or the Ghost Walk.

But I definitely had a great time running around and seeing York Minster, Clifford's Tower, Merchant Adventurer Guild Hall, York Castle Museum (that place is huge!), and walked along the entire northern part of the Castle walls. Also stumbled on Grey Earl Court Gardens, had late afternoon tea there. Walked through Stonegate street, stumbled on Peter Rabbit.com shop(!). And I think it was hard to top having a night where I ate the biggest Yorkshire pudding in my life, and getting to see Morris Dancing by pure chance walking through The Shambles!!

I'm gonna have to visit York again in the future - my Castle Museum ticket is still valid for another 12 months(!).

And my train journey back to Glasgow was pretty eventful too - met two random Americans who're journeying to Edinburgh - and I had a blast chatting with them all the way up, swapping travel tales and stories about America and Australia.

Awesome trip all told

Thread Information