Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help learning blues...

Re: Help learning blues...

In my humble opinion there are two types of blues dance and dancer in MJ. Thoes that belive that it is about individuality and self expression. - that's a southport theme.
    And thoese that belive it is all about the seamless union of two people. That's generally a Marc and Rachel or tigerbaby type thing. (You sound like the secound type Phil).

The first type is kinda funky, hip and well ...bluesy.

The secound type is slow and smooth and elegant and well ... like 'slow jive'.

Different music, different emotions, different dance.

That's my two pence anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Also of great importance is in making sure followers should only move when they are lead to do so and that is also OK not to move at all! Waiting to be lead is again a basic fundamental of most dances but it’s not a given when people are coming from an MJ background where they are constantly stepping in and out. So it does require a shift in thinking from constant motion and some anticipation (if only in the in and out motion) to real lead and follow and in real connection to the music.
    I think we must be blessed up here then: It's one of the basic points that all our teachers try to get across to the followers - wait to be led. Try not to anticipate: I don't think that Blues dancing is special in this aspect. {i.e. it helps vastly in MJ too }

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    In my humble opinion there are two types of blues dance and dancer in MJ. Thoes that belive that it is about individuality and self expression. - that's a southport theme.
    And thoese that belive it is all about the seamless union of two people. That's generally a Marc and Rachel or tigerbaby type thing. (You sound like the secound type Phil).
    Actually been thinking about this recently: I think it's a "R&B" style blues {SP}and a "Blues" style blues {SJ}... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post

The first type is kinda funky, hip and well ...bluesy.

The secound type is slow and smooth and elegant and well ... like 'slow jive'.

Different music, different emotions, different dance.

That's my two pence anyway.
    Jim

I think you've misinterpreted. I don't believe that I've picked up any suggestion of a Southport view that blues is about individuality and self-expression. The people I've danced with, or watched and admired, in the blues room all aim for seamless connection, however, in doing so there is a clear realisation that both partners can input to the dance. But in a connected way of course.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I'm currently experiencing this in Ceroc... - many follows I dance with (at the point i've brought them in close for a basic blues sway) anticipate being twisted back out again,... - I read what sounds like a great idea in Gadget's online workshop; if they do this - just follow them round - penguin like - I will try this soon

I do suspect that if I lead the first weight transfer moreso by 'sinking my weight into the floor' a little more pronounced this may happen less.
    This isn't the ideal way of trying to diagnose / help this kind of problem - without seeing what you're doing firsthand, it's next to impossible to be sure what's happening here. That said - I suspect you're on the right track in terms of weight transfer - if you sink more into the floor at the point you've brought your partner in, you can 'ground' her - more-or-less leading a pause, which should help. Make sure you bring her with you on this though - it's no good if you just ground yourself, without having a good connection with your partner.

Remember - your partner is trying to follow you the best she can. If she can feel a good and clear lead, she's far less likely to anticipate, so if she's doing so, maybe you're dropping the lead at that point? There's a huge difference between not leading anything, and leading nothing.

(just to mention, others for some reason have trouble keeping their right hand down low whilst swaying.. - one the other night was waving my hand around all over the place (?) )
    Try releasing her hand altogether, if she's doing that. You don't need that left-to-right handhold in a close-hold sway. Or, just relax your arm completely and keep it down by your hip .

Similarly, I also often get thrown off balance if I try to do a full beat penguin instead of the 'usual' half beat one many follows seem to expect/anticipate.
    Again - very difficult to say without seeing, but if you're actually going off balance, I think it's likely you're taking large steps and stepping too far away from your partner. When you're learning something like this, keep it simple, keep movements small, and relax (it really won't help if you tense up during the move, which can be a tendency for many if you feel it isn't going quite right). Remember - there's no need to get the full rotation on this move, especially when you're still learning it.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Revdrop View Post
    ..... Learn to accept your own style. I've watched Rocky live and on the DVDs and felt like giving up coz he's so good! I've watched Stokie and felt the same! And Simon and Nicole... and Franck... and Blue Shoes... and countless others.... But then I began to just accept that I'm NOT Rocky... and I'm NOT Stokie...etc...I'm ME... and I dance differently to them... and to be comfortable with that. .......

The best thing for me about a being a blues follow is that no two dances are ever the same - all different connections, styles, journeys and emotions. They don't need to be packed with flashy moves, some of my most memorable dances have hardly classified as dances at all more about connection and intensity. I am of the opinion that eye contact is good but too much of a good thing can make you a stalker - so eye contact yes not staring - it just freaks me out a little.
    With blues for me - each dance is unique and exciting and an adventure -sometimes a wild ride and sometimes a more gentle drift but fabulous just the same.
    Just be you and enjoy it while the music lasts.

Rachel
    xxx

I'm after helpful hints, tips, advice, . .
    Blues with Fluff

Does anyone know if Blues dancing is popular in Australia? I've never heard of it...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Neu Wien View Post
    Does anyone know if Blues dancing is popular in Australia? I've never heard of it...
    Have a look at what Swing Patrol are doing.

Thread Information