Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help learning blues...

Help learning blues...

I'm after helpful hints, tips, advice, - anything at all which will help me in my quest to become a good blues dancer.... - beyond the obvious ones of course like "do a blues workshop".. - (I'm doing a Nicola and Howard one this weekend actually).

Anything at all much appreciated. Youtube links? DVD recommendations? Things to practice at home? Blues specific musicality advice? Any tips at all - would love to hear them.

Commercial Operator

Re: Help learning blues...

Where are you based, and how far are you willing to travel to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I'm after helpful hints, tips, advice, - anything at all which will help me in my quest to become a good blues dancer.... - beyond the obvious ones of course like "do a blues workshop".. - (I'm doing a Nicola and Howard one this weekend actually).

Anything at all much appreciated. Youtube links? DVD recommendations? Things to practice at home? Blues specific musicality advice? Any tips at all - would love to hear them.
    Rocky and the beautiful Val are IMO the best we have in the UK they also have fab DVD's for different levels

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Blues is all about playing with the music and connection with your partner. So one useful thing is just hanging out in some blues rooms and watching - listen to the music then see what other couples are doing to play with the moves, timing, breaks and highlights. Not to just 'copy', but to get a feel for it.

Get a toolkit of basic blues moves (which the workshop should give you) - simple moves done with musicality are best.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Where are you based, and how far are you willing to travel to learn?

Surrey.

I'm happy to travel.. - within reason.. - depending.....

Thanks Minnie - has Rocky & Val got a website I can look at (& perhaps purchase their DVD from) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Blues is all about playing with the music and connection with your partner. So one useful thing is just hanging out in some blues rooms and watching - listen to the music then see what other couples are doing to play with the moves, timing, breaks and highlights. Not to just 'copy', but to get a feel for it.

Get a toolkit of basic blues moves (which the workshop should give you) - simple moves done with musicality are best.
    Thanks.

I'd most probably get asked to dance hanging about in a blues room, - only to end up disappointing someone

Commercial Operator

Surrey.

I'm happy to travel.. - within reason.. - depending.....
    OK. The decent UK blues teachers that I know much about are mostly a little too far north, but you might want to have a look at these guys:

http://www.bluesrevolution.co.uk

I actually found the Ceroc Blues dvd's by our very own David "Rocky" Rokov very useful. But an introductory blues night would give you more hands on experience.

The Ceroc Blues DVD's come in various expertise so you can do say beginner then get the intermediate.. or go straight to intermediate if you're confident/good enough.

I'd most probably get asked to dance hanging about in a blues room, - only to end up disappointing someone
    Don't be so negative and if you really don't want to dance but watch do one of the women avoidance techniques, though it may have to be an extreme one like shoe removal / addition of bandages.

Lots of people I know are starting to get into blues as there is a developing scene up here (thanks to Stokies and other venues realising its wanted) but I know alot of people who hear the word blues and panic. I guess I ended up in the blues room after only a few months of dancing and never really felt like leaving, this also means I probably don't understand all the technical points of what is a blues dance. I'd say to build your confidence its about having decent bluesy tracks and a partner who you are comfortable with and who will allow you to feel the music. I know a few 'fast' dancers who are making the change into blues but they freely admit they struggle with the music as it does not appeal as much and they aren't sure what moves to do, but because they ask me as I can point out where they started to speed up and feel comfortable to try closer moves.

So, I'd say its all about facing your fears and getting into the blues room, get hold of some play lists and become familiar with some of the classic tracks that will generally be played, that way you can learn the breaks and tempos, then you just need a basic toolkit and you'll be away, just make sure you save me a dance some time x

I'm after helpful hints, tips, advice, - anything at all which will help me in my quest to become a good blues dancer....
    How will you know when you are a 'good blues dancer'? By which I mean, what are you trying to achieve? I am not being facetious, just aware that (as numerous threads on here will attest) different people have different definitions of Blues and what it means to them may not be what it means to you. What you are trying to achieve (lets say, for sake of argument, the confidence to ask followers to dance late night in the Blues room at Skegness/Southport) will determine the hints, tips, advice people will offer.

I like that this is a technical thread that Rocky could make a really positive contribution towards......

Blues is all about playing with the music and connection with your partner..

Another useful "thing", is a partner you "connect with "

On the blues workshops I have attended, quite lot of people fixed, so try and take someone with you, you enjoy dancing with

If I asked a guy to dance in a blues room and he just led simple basic moves and gave me a chance to play a bit, I would not be at all disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    How will you know when you are a 'good blues dancer'? By which I mean, what are you trying to achieve? I am not being facetious, just aware that (as numerous threads on here will attest) different people have different definitions of Blues and what it means to them may not be what it means to you. What you are trying to achieve (lets say, for sake of argument, the confidence to ask followers to dance late night in the Blues room at Skegness/Southport) will determine the hints, tips, advice people will offer.

I like that this is a technical thread that Rocky could make a really positive contribution towards......
    Obviously I don't know a huge amount about blues, but with that in mind, I will try to answer you.

The example you've given is certainly true. One thing I would like to work more on is being able to move my body WELL (I hope you know what I mean by that?), - any tips or practice exercises which would help me improve in this area would be great.

My motivation has come from a recent slow ceroc dance I had with a (then) stranger, - a fantastically sensual and connected dance which blew me away. I danced with her to the last 3 tracks of the night, then chatted at length afterwards, she said that I would be very good at blues and suggested I should get into it, - she lives some distance from me however we're going to get together soon and she's going to go through some bluesy things with me (she has a lot of dance experience)... - anyway, - it was that particular dance/night which inspired me and left me wanting more

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post

Another useful "thing", is a partner you "connect with "

On the blues workshops I have attended, quite lot of people fixed, so try and take someone with you, you enjoy dancing with
    Thanks - luckily i've got a couple of Ceroc friends I like dancing with who said they'll happily go to a Blues workshop with me...

If I asked a guy to dance in a blues room and he just led simple basic moves and gave me a chance to play a bit, I would not be at all disappointed.

This is what I feel I need to improve upon... - to really slow down my dancing and play more & invite the follow to play more...

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I actually found the Ceroc Blues dvd's by our very own David "Rocky" Rokov very useful. But an introductory blues night would give you more hands on experience.

The Ceroc Blues DVD's come in various expertise so you can do say beginner then get the intermediate.. or go straight to intermediate if you're confident/good enough.
    Beowulf - are you referring to these ones listed here: ?

http://www.ceroc.com/ceroc_dvds.html

Cool Re: Help learning blues...

Although most people in the UK find Blues after dancing Modern Jive. Blues dancing is not as a lot of people seem to imagine, an extension of Modern Jive. Blues is a different way to dance altogether. There is a lot of confusion surrounding this as many Modern Jive companies try to flog "Blues Fusion" workshops to Modern Jivers. I guess these workshops are OK if you just want to have a little dabble dancing to slower, more interesting music. But there's not a whole lot of 'value' to be had from anything that includes the F word (fusion) in my view; be it Tango Fusion, Blues Fusion, River Dance Fusion.

Unlike Modern Jive, Blues is not all about moves. If you attend a workshop billed as Blues you really shouldn't expect to be learning a whole bunch of slow moves. Blues is about musical and physical connection. If it is a true Blues workshop, that is where the majority of the workshop should be focused. If you are taught moves in a Blues workshop then those moves should really be vehicles used for explaining core connection concepts.

In Blues we try to form a simultaneous connection with our partner, and the music. The aim being to become one person with four legs. When you experience a great Blues dance you reach a type of bliss that is hard to describe. But well worth the effort!

I warn you though Blues is very addictive! So much so, that as Koshka said above we started Stokie's to run our own Blues events and workshops here and build a Blues scene in the Midlands. A great way to learn is to actually jump on in and have a try. I'll be at Cruella's IGNITE Charity do in Daventry this Saturday, and Sara White's Blues Tea Dance in Buckden (with amazing Blues DJ Tessalicious) on Sunday. If you are at either of those events I would be more than happy to spend a little time with you answering any questions and showing you some 'stuff'

I'll leave it there for now, but I could write a book - passionate about Blues... who me?

Please write away StokeBloke!!!

Very helpful post there - hugely appreciated.

Thanks also for the invite, unfortunately my weekend is completely filled up already...

Blues sometimes has a feeling of getting into a "zone". As it sound as you have experienced this I I don't need to tell you how intoxicating it can be.

There seems to be two styles of what is called blues dancing in the UK. There is the Ceroc style and you need to look out for either Howard and Nicola or Dave and Val Rokov. Dave Rockov is on the forum under the name of Rocky so if you want to get direct information on their teaching engagements you could just send him a private message.

There is another style of blues that has its more direct roots in Lindy Hop dancing. If you see a Ceroc weekender that has a guy called Lucky Skillen then this is the style you should expect and his lessons are very worthwhile if you get the chance to attend. The bluesrevolution link that straycat gave you above is worth checking out. They have monthly blues dances near Liverpool street station in London (preceeded by lessons) and occasional Sunday afternoon and evening events (also with lessons). In November they are having a whole weekend of blues dancing with lessons during the day and dances in the evening with Damon Stone (there are youtube clips of his dancing on the site). There are only three couples places left at present.

There is an event called Swinging the Blues usually once a year held in Chiswick in January which has lessons in both styles since its merger with Ceroc last year. A really worthwhile event and a shame it is only held once a year.

Blues dancing is sufficiently distinct from Ceroc and Lindy hop that a knowledge of one dance form is neither a help nor a hinderance to taking lessons in blues. Blues dancing is very enjoyable to learn for its exploration of the use of connection, particularly in close hold.

I hope this helps. Have fun.

Cool Re: Help learning blues...

Please write away StokeBloke!!!

Very helpful post there - hugely appreciated.

Thanks also for the invite, unfortunately my weekend is completely filled up already...
    What are you up to next Friday (24th)

A Great example of Blues dancing on . Note the way that the lead is using the movements of the follow. It's kind of like a dance version of jamming
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil_db

Not sure I'd go for the DVD option, I like DVDs for re-inforcement but find them a crap medium for initial learning.

I've done some basic blues classes at the local independant and that helped to give me the tools to have the courage and confidence to play in the Blues room. They focussed on the connection and ability to play with the tempo etc, and the rest came with applying it in the blues room. Doing a couple of basic musicality workshops also helped.

Sounds like you you already have the right stuff anyway if you danced with the kind of connection you mention in an earlier post. What you probably just need is a venue to practice this where more expressive music is played regularly and the people are up for a bit of playing.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Thread Information