Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you have installed on your iPhone/iPod ?

Re: What do you have installed on your iPhone/iPod ?

if you haven't done so already.. you can download the 3.0.1 update that fixes the bizarre SMS vulnerability.

seen this and had to laugh !

Lancer iJector Projector for Apple iPhone

a penny short of £400.. makes it a very expensive addon

if I was going to spend £400 on some AV equipment.. my first choice probably wouldb't be to think of the iPhone

Not exactly installed on my iPhone but highly recommended. I use two apps on my PC.

DVD Decrypter and Handbrake .. The first to rip DVD's to my Harddrive and the second to recode them to iPhone compatable format.

It's of dubious legallity but I'm only converting DVD's I already own to a format Where I can watch them on the move.

Screen is a bit small but very watchable none the less.

An average length DVD encodes to about 200-250 mb which is sizable given the total space available on the iPhone.. but if you have one of the new iPhone 3GS's then it's not so much of an issue. I have currently about 1.5 gb of movies on my phone, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Equilibrium, The Day the earth stood still and .. erm.. Young Einstein

(actually am more embarrassed about The Day the earth stood still than Young Einstein!! it's a typical keanu reeves platform for his non-acting skills)

Handy offer in Clinton Cards at the moment, get two £15 itunes cards for £20! Just been and got a couple so I'm off to do some app shopping for my new iphone

Definitely an iphone fan. Extra apps include

- Daylite touch - iphone version of my database/diary etc
    - DLR Times (wonderful if you live near a DLR station)
    - Folders (moving & storing docs)
    - London Bus
    - National Rail (magic - you can watch the progress of your train along with loads of other train timetable stuff)
    - Stations (Find nearby stations)
    - Tube status (yes, since I travel around London all the time to see clients, there is a definite public transport theme here)
    - Sudoku
    - Urbanspoon (find nearby restaurants)
    - Wikipanion
    - GiftTrack
    - Shazam
    - NYTimes
    - MyPaint Free (fingerpainting)
    - iTranslate (after not being to converse with Italian chefs last weekend)
    - TweetDeck (twitter)
    - Gratitude (gratitude diary)

The Dashing Moderator

You do realise that you're all turning into cyborgs...?
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    You do realise that you're all turning into cyborgs...?
    hmm... from weighted cube to Borg cube with one small application? cool !!

You say it like it's a bad thing?

If / When this gets approved by the Apple store gnomes.. I'll definitely download it.. even if it DOES require a premium Spotify membership !

Today's dilbert just reminded me of this thread for some reason

www.dilbert.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Today's dilbert just reminded me of this thread for some reason

www.dilbert.com

I'll have you know my iPirate app is very useful.. "Ye Scurvy Landlubber Yaaaarrrrr!!"

You know Pirates were actually the forerunners of the modern digital revolution. With all their "Pieces of Eight" they were already 8-bit before the rest of the world caught on ...

I'll get my cloak, my hat and my wooden leg..

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    If / When this gets approved by the Apple store gnomes.. I'll definitely download it.. even if it DOES require a premium Spotify membership !

It's been approved , sez The Register
    With luck, it should be available soon.

I've got a bunch of stuff on my iPod, the things I tend to use (outside of stuff that comes with the iPod) are:

Facebook (recently updated so much better than it used to be).
    Stanza - eBook reader that can pull a bunch of titles in the EPUB format.
    Good Reader - pretty good PDF viewer.
    Flickster - Great little app to find out what is on.

Games I tend to find myself playing:

Peggle - I <3 Peggle. Hit pegs with a ball and hope it then hits other pegs and falls into a bucket. It's awesome.
    Bookworm - Apparently I just <3 Popcap. It's a little fun word game.
    Zombies and Me - silly little game where you try and kill a bunch of zombies while not dying yourself, very pick up and play and my usual choice when I only have a couple of minutes to play.
    Civilization Revolution - Civ! on my iPod Touch. This so isn't a pick up and play game.

iPhone Apps - Recomendations and Requests for Help

I’ve had my iPhone for about 5 weeks now. The prime reason for purchasing it was as a business toll rather than a plaything, but I confess to appreciating some of the games that I've loaded 

I thought I’d start this thread to share my views/recommend a few apps and ask for recommendations for areas where I’ve not yet found an app to match

To Do List
    This one of the key needs for the iPhone, to replace my aging Palm E2. I’ve tried a whole raft of tools and techniques, including good old-fashioned paper lists but none has worked for me. I’ve now settled on Toodledo, which one of my colleagues has been using for year through its web-based application. So far, its doing everything I could expect of it. If it could only actually do the task for me then it would be perfect!

Time Recording
    I work across a whole plethora of projects against which I have to record my time on a weekly basis. This has always been a real pain and usually subject to some wild guesswork at the end of the week. After trailing a few apps I’ve settled on Eternity. Its pretty expensive for an app, about £6, but its more than paid back for that in the time its saved. It exports to a CSV file so I can compile my timesheet and its pretty intuitive to use.

Calendar
    Still struggling with this. The inbuilt calendar is pretty week. I’ve tried using PI Lite but I’m struggling with it. I miss the simple poser of the Palm application. I need something that will allow me to enter events in quickly, able to categorise them and also pull through birthdays from my contact app. No joy so far. Any recommendations?

Contact List
    My other major problem. Starting to appreciate the limitation of the inbuilt contact app. Can’t categorise, can’t pull out the birthdays to my calendar app. As I don’t have Outlook on my main PC (don’t ask, long technical story) this is a real pain. All help gratefully received.

Mind Mapping
    I tend to use mind-mapping a lot. At work I suffer with Visio … its ok but not a dedicated application. I was hoping to get something I could use on the fly and then export. I’m trailing SimpleMindX but it is a bit limited and exporting isn’t simple (not really had the time to make it work yet). Any other apps out there of use?

Diary
    I’ve given up keeping a physical diary because I just lacked the discipline to update it. Having a diary with me all the time that I can update for work or personal items is a real boon. I’m now using My Diary which I find both simple yet effective .. a bit like me ;-0

OK … that’s the Business apps .. hope to get time to post about the music and games apps in the next week or so. Would really appreciate any recommendations or advice.

Re: iPhone Apps - Recomendations and Requests for Help

There's a thread already in Geek's corner covering this stuff I think. Search back a few weeks (or search for iPhone) and I am sure you'll find it.

EDIT: and as if by magic the threads are merged

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Gus, for mind maps have a look at this: http://www.novamind.com/ibluesky/

Has anyone used the add "Beatmaker"? it looks like fun but not sure if it's good enough to spend £11.99 on a ipod app....

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    To Do List
    This one of the key needs for the iPhone, to replace my aging Palm E2. I’ve tried a whole raft of tools and techniques, including good old-fashioned paper lists but none has worked for me. I’ve now settled on Toodledo, which one of my colleagues has been using for year through its web-based application. So far, its doing everything I could expect of it. If it could only actually do the task for me then it would be perfect!

Calendar
    Still struggling with this. The inbuilt calendar is pretty week. I’ve tried using PI Lite but I’m struggling with it. I miss the simple poser of the Palm application. I need something that will allow me to enter events in quickly, able to categorise them and also pull through birthdays from my contact app. No joy so far. Any recommendations?

Contact List
    My other major problem. Starting to appreciate the limitation of the inbuilt contact app. Can’t categorise, can’t pull out the birthdays to my calendar app. As I don’t have Outlook on my main PC (don’t ask, long technical story) this is a real pain. All help gratefully received.
    I use Google for all this stuff (though I still just use their exchange sync system to pull all the information through) so I still end up using the in built Contacts and Calendar, though I can access the online versions if I need to. Their task list isn't too bad though I tend to look at it from my PC rather than using my iPod.

I think their contacts system might do the job for you though if you are viewing it using the sync'd version then it doesn't show you the groups on the iPhone, and though it can sync the birthday stuff to Google Calendar, it can't then pull that onto the iPhone's Calendar App, as far as I can see.

I've also found Google Calendar kinda fails on time zones; it tries to be too smart rather than just allowing me to enter the time zone of an event.

The Dashing Moderator

If you jail-break your iPhone and don't change your root password, it looks like the answer may be "Rick Astley".
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    If you jail-break your iPhone and don't change your root password, it looks like the answer may be "Rick Astley".
    That is, if you remove the built-in security Apple provides for the iPhone by "jail-breaking" your phone, then install OpenSSH, and forget to change your root password, then you deserve whatever you get.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Cool Re: What do you have installed on your iPhone/iPod ?

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    That is, if you remove the built-in security Apple provides for the iPhone by "jail-breaking" your phone, then install OpenSSH, and forget to change your root password, then you deserve whatever you get.
    They deserve it. They deserve to get infected by a worm? A little strong perhaps when you consider that this is a consumer device, in a sector used to having devices locked for purely selfish reasons by the networks. Getting phones unlocked is pretty much a matter of course these days. I know we specifically got Twirlie Bird's N95 unlocked as the reception at Southport is sooooooo dire she wanted to be able to switch in an O2 sim to keep in touch with home.

Perhaps forcing the user to set an alpha-numeric password rather than just setting it to ALPINE by default would have been a more secure out of the box solution. I think you must be right though Ducasi, I'm sure Apple thought "if they get a worm, they'll deserve it".

The truth is Apple have been caught with their pants well and truly down and when that happens to a HUGE company it's really funny (especially if you don't own one of their phones). If anyone deserves anything, Apple deserve to lose some points on their share prices - idiots.

Thread Information