Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reworking the Beginner Moves

Re: Reworking the Beginner Moves

Quote Originally Posted by Neu Wien View Post

In terms of what is a beginner move for Ceroc Australia but not in the UK, there's something like 30 moves extra in Australia! (see above to work out what they are...)

Is this a good thing, what do people think?
    It's a good thing in my opinion.

What it really means is that there's a greater division between beginners and intermediates in Australia than in the UK. In Australia you'll most likely spend (a lot) longer in the beginner classes. That's fine though, because there's more material to get through.

Consequently, the intermediate classes in Australia will tend to be a tad more demanding. That said - it's fine because the base level of the punters is higher.

It's just a different model really, so "beginner" and "intermediate" may mean slightly different things in each country. Personally, I think the Australian model is a better one for learning to dance as there are considerably fewer people who get into the intermediate class without having a clue what they're doing, and holding the others back.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    They are different moves in the UK. The difference is whether you spin the lady from the wrist or the fist.
    Yep, my bad, I read the description again and see that it is with the wrist not fist like in Ladyspin.

bigdjiver-

Records of classes like that would be interesting, though interpreting stats from different venues could be difficult- ie people might not come back cause they don't like the people at one venue, not the moves.

The problem with changing the difficulty level, is that one of the strengths of Ceroc is that new people can come any week and feel comfortable. If they come at the tricky week, they might not come back.

NZ Monkey-

Its probably more incentive for intermediate dancers to continue going to beginner classes as well, as most people won't have mastered all 40 or whatever beginner moves. Though I did hear mutterings from someone who thought the beginner classes should be even tougher!

Generally people move up to intermediate after 8 weeks I'm told, so that's pretty similar to the UK is it?

There are also a couple of problems:
    -Intermediate dancers are more likely to have gaps in their knowledge of beginner moves or techniques- ie if they are away the lesson a move is taught it could be a while before that move is taught again.
    -Some of the trickier moves might put people off, like with me and the cleaver!

Overall I think lots of moves is good though.
    Last edited by DavidY; 26th-July-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    They are different moves in the UK. The difference is whether you spin the lady from the wrist or the fist.
    Not quite: The Ceroc spin is when the follower's hand is taken to the right, left hand is placed over the follower's wrist and then taken to the left and released to turn them into a free-spin.
    The Lady spin is when the follower is taken towards the lead, the left hand is taken up to shoulder height with a flat hand hold, then pushed down and out to send the follower into a free-spin.
    (at least that's my understanding of the moves)

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    It's a good thing in my opinion.

What it really means is that there's a greater division between beginners and intermediates in Australia than in the UK. In Australia you'll most likely spend (a lot) longer in the beginner classes. That's fine though, because there's more material to get through.
    I think that the "beginner" here is much more of a beginner; MJ is taught primarily as a social dance where the emphasis is on getting you up on the dance floor enjoying yourself. In the antipodeans I understand that it's taught with more emphasis on how to dance. Different cultures and which is "best" is a matter of personal opinion. :shrug:

Generally people move up to intermediate after 8 weeks I'm told, so that's pretty similar to the UK is it?
    Yeah, that time frame is more similar to the UK. If that's the case then perhaps there are too many moves. Or perhaps the owners have let things slide for whatever reason. Or perhaps only one teacher allows that.

I can tell you that when I started (which wasn't all that long) ago it took me about two or three months of going 2-3 times a week before I moved up. The people who started at virtually the same time as I took the same amount of time to move up as well, so I'm not alone.

Personally, I preferred it that way. Plenty of others probably don't though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    I think that the "beginner" here is much more of a beginner; MJ is taught primarily as a social dance where the emphasis is on getting you up on the dance floor enjoying yourself. In the antipodeans I understand that it's taught with more emphasis on how to dance. Different cultures and which is "best" is a matter of personal opinion. :shrug:
    Pretty much.

I should add though that we're still talking about the same ballpark when talking about the differences between the countries though. It may be a little more "dance oriented" in Australasia, but it's nowhere near the ballroom or AT level. It is still taught to be reasonably immediately gratifying down here as well, just a little further towards the other end of the scale.

bigdjiver-
    Records of classes like that would be interesting, though interpreting stats from different venues could be difficult- ie people might not come back cause they don't like the people at one venue, not the moves.
    Of course people matter - the Taxi dancers, who are most in contact with beginners, most of all. The majority of the dancers are the same week after week, and any average you measure changes even less. If 50% of the beginners come back in weeks 1 and 3, and only 15% in week 2, when the death drop mangle was being taught, then suspicion must fall on the move.

You need a vast accumulation of stats to get meaningful results, and the differences found may seem insignificant. However, if Michel Ange Lau or James Cronin had been amongst an "insignificant" extra 1% that had not come back ....

The problem with changing the difficulty level, is that one of the strengths of Ceroc is that new people can come any week and feel comfortable. If they come at the tricky week, they might not come back.
    For most lone beginners whichever week they start is a tricky week.If they are brought by a friend, as most are, the beginner can treat the night as a tourist experience, enjoying the view and the company of their friend.

If a beginner comes on a particularly difficult week it is important to tell them that. I make a point of telling beginners that come when the shoulder drop is taught that they have done very well in tackling the most difficult beginner move. I found the Octopus difficult, I still have the model made from carboard, clothing pegs and string I used to get my head around it. Being tall I find the comb awkward. for a tall lady doing a comb and finding a shorter stranger with his head buried in her bosom may be People talk with their feet. Trying to find factors related to non-returning is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Not quite: The Ceroc spin is when the follower's hand is taken to the right, left hand is placed over the follower's wrist and then taken to the left and released to turn them into a free-spin.
    The Lady spin is when the follower is taken towards the lead, the left hand is taken up to shoulder height with a flat hand hold, then pushed down and out to send the follower into a free-spin.
    (at least that's my understanding of the moves)
    What you're describing as a "Lady Spin" I think most people would call a "Push Spin", as in First Move Pushspin (one of the Ceroc X moves). "Lady Spin" is the move where the woman goes to a "ball and socket" hold, but is otherwise identical to a Ceroc Spin.

Thread Information