Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Commercial Operator

Re: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

I think that some of us are giving more credit to some than they deserve.

The drop in posts and those that post should be contributed to the few that have no other intent than to cause or attribute to malicious bully boy tactics.

The forum has allowed these persons to post repeatedly and attack numerous people, when the mark has been pushed to far they pretend that this is all for fun and as a group we forgive, but it is all just an act.

For the forum to be regenerated and open discussions to re-appear the group needs to ostracize these individuals for who and what they are.
    The comment that these are just personas that are only applied on the forum and that really they are nice people shows the level of skill these individuals have developed through there many years of bullying.

There are still many subjects that could and should be discussed that will help to develop and shape modern jive so that the dance continues to grow and attract new dancers, is this the place to discuss those matters time will tell.

Face book does not give an area (yet) where a community can grow and openly chat but i understand it will soon which is why we should be our house in order now.

As many others i choose not to post for fear of reprisals, arguments and threats but i really felt compelled to post a reply to this thread.

br
    S

Blog Entries

It sounds to me that people are talking about specific people here. OR am i missing something. If you read the last few posts, there is definate reference to person or persons in particular without mentioning an actual name.

I mean, should we just have a vote who to veto, would that make it better. LOL

I VOTE BEOWOLF OFF... HE IS A GEEK WHO HUGS TREES AND HE COOKS FAR TOO MUCH LOVELY FOOD, OOOH, LETS DO LEMON CAKE AS WELL. SAME REASON
    TIGER PANTS. FAR TOO GOOD LOOKING, ITS JUST NOT FAIR.
    I ALSO VOTE LORY OFF, SHE IS JUST FAR TOO SWEET
    I ALSO VOTE MY SISTER OFF, SHE IS FAR TO FUNNY
    I VOTE GAV OFF JUST BECAUSE, WELL ITS GAV.
    I VOTE SCARFACE OFF CAUSE HE'S MINE ANYWAY

SHALL I GO ON.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'd rather spend an evening with Twirly and a DVD too
    Does this mean I've got to organise a DVD evening for the two of you then?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r View Post
    The forum has allowed these persons to post repeatedly and attack numerous people, when the mark has been pushed to far they pretend that this is all for fun and as a group we forgive, but it is all just an act.
    Yes ... it reminds me of the 'Difficult Person' type the sniper .... who hides behind sarcasm, and treats it all as a joke .... and then, potentially, accuses his victim of not being able to take a joke! ... and that makes it all alright!

I, for one, if I'm not careful ... am the (annoying) super-agreeable [.... see same link as above.
    Last edited by Magic Hans; 14th-July-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: repair broken link ... thanks Dave

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    As an aside, most people don't have a "real life personae". Rather, they have several which will vary depending on context. For some people the variation is small; for others, it's large. I know I act quite differently around my friends, my family, my work colleagues, and my customers.
    I think your right.. I know I'm the same.. funnily enough I'm the opposite many other on there.. I'm more reserved on here

I think the reason being is, as you say, in real life, I constantly react to the person I'm in conversation with.

I'm happy to say, I speak 'much better' than I write and I'm very good at reading body language, so if someone hasn't understood me.. whether its that they haven't got the 'joke' or the 'seriousness' of what i'm saying, I can adjust what and how I say it, to make myself more understood

But on here, we have no way of knowing how people perceive us, or what we write.

And this is where a lot of the friction starts.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

All these –ve comments and bitching has really go me depressed.

What about what the forum has offered people over a number of years

I joined the old London ceroc forum 6 yrs and go. They closed that and so I joined the Scottish forum, which had a stronger Scottish bias then.

Look what it’s given people barbecues, long term friendships, barbecues ,marriages, barbecues, dance partners, barbecues. If it hasn’t done anything at least its help people put on weight.

For the shy it’s given us a senses of belonging to a dance community

Have numbers drop /posts drop yes but for heaven sake for the newbie reading this thread give it a chance its not as bleak as it seems.

Try out my weather site forum you banned blocked told off if you miss an 'ed' when you post
    Last edited by stewart38; 14th-July-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

But on here, we have no way of knowing how people perceive us, or what we write.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I ALSO VOTE LORY OFF, SHE IS JUST FAR TOO SWEET
    See what I mean, she's got me all wrong!

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Exactly you tree hugging Geekoid.
    I think Twirly's more of a geek hugger than a tree hugger. Or maybe she's both?

the group needs to ostracize these individuals for who and what they are.
    Sad though it is to say, I agree with this. Lory mentioned earlier that she feels like she's in charge of a playground sometimes. Well I was always told as a child that if you don’t respond to bullying behaviour, the bully will get fed up and go away because they’re not getting the response that they want. (Although I only managed to do away with bullies in my life when I actually stood up to one – shame it took me over 30 years to do it.)

It sounds to me that people are talking about specific people here. OR am i missing something. If you read the last few posts, there is definite reference to person or persons in particular without mentioning an actual name.
    Of course. But no-one wants to name names as it’s against forum rules and in case they get an infraction, or get bullied in turn. I know what happens to threads when certain people post and a “discussion” gets started. So I watch for a bit but then ignore the thread, and those causing the arguments. It just gets boring as you can almost predict word-for-word what certain people are going to say. Again and again. I actually find the whole thing a bit sad.

But then I’m just a regular Ceroc punter. I don’t get involved in any for of organising, teaching or even taxiing. So it’s easier for me to let it all go – must be much harder if you’ve got time, money and your emotions invested.

I have recommended the forum to people, and have then seen them join, even in the last 6 months or so. But I always warn them about the infighting that takes place and not to take too much notice of it either. But if people haven’t had that warning, then the forum must seem quite a difficult environment. When I first joined it was warm and welcoming. And parts of it still are – so long as certain people don’t start up.

Maybe this smiley should be on the main page and more use should be made of it

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Have numbers drop /posts drop yes but for heaven sake for the newbie reading this thread give it a chance its not a bleak as it seems.
    That’s the point Stewart, how many newbie’s do you think have either logged on to the forum to read personnel arguments and threatening behavior and then left or have joined to be confronted with that behavior at the offset. (To many examples to list)

If this consistent behavior was outlined with removal from the forum for it would stop this straight away and then allow new members to see the good things that were so good about the forum when we first joined.

This would hopefully start the influx of new members that will sustain the forum in the future.

br S

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I think Twirly's more of a geek hugger than a tree hugger. Or maybe she's both?
    Am very selective about the geeks I hug - and the trees come to that!

Commercial Operator

As many others i choose not to post for fear of reprisals, arguments and threats but i really felt compelled to post a reply to this thread

I'm with Simon on this. I do not use Facebook in place of this Forum. I do not use any other forums. When I joined this Forum I was a dancer and keen competitor. I subsequently became a "Commercial Operator". However, I continued to post mostly as a dancer and dance teacher rather than as a promoter.

During my last weeks and months as a regular contributor to the forum I came feel that my Ceroc Scotland Forum journey was reaching it's end. And I could also see that other regular posters were also falling victim to "highwaymen" on their travels around the forum - you could say that the road was becoming too stony.

The final straw was the way that David Bailey was bullied off the forum. His departure seemed a suitable time for me to slip away.

I still look in, mostly at Gadget's playlists (thank you Gadget), occasionally at other threads, but I can't imagine a time when I'd want to run the gauntlet of "reprisals, arguments and threats", so I don't think this will ever again become a place I regularly frequent.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The drop in posts and those that post should be contributed to the few that have no other intent than to cause or attribute to malicious bully boy tactics.
    I don't see the issue. Where people have criticised others directly, they have ultimately been on the losing end as far more people respond negatively toward them. Thats the way it should be. Bad threads go outside altogether, so its not as if the threads even show up to non-members. I don't think the drop in posts can be attributed to individuals posts, but the lack of other interesting threads elsewhere on the forum. The busiest threads are often the "arguing" ones, so they are a boost to the forum if anything.

I think your interpretation is extreme ; "pushed TOO far", "as a group WE forgive", "ALL just an act"... It would be nice if life was that black and white, and simpler, but it isn't. I don't think there really are cardboard cut out heroes and villains here or anywhere else.

The comment that these are just personas that are only applied on the forum and that really they are nice people shows the level of skill these individuals have developed through there many years of bullying.
    I think geoff332 is closest to the truth in his suggestion that people have many personas in certain contexts. It's also up to our own personal interpretation of the people we meet. Sometimes you just don't take a shine to someone, while other people clearly do.

There are still many subjects that could and should be discussed that will help to develop and shape modern jive so that the dance continues to grow and attract new dancers, is this the place to discuss those matters time will tell.
    It was, but things have got quieter recently. Every time I click on "new posts" there seem to be less and less. So who knows? I see this as a completely seperate issue to any bad people or bad threads

As many others i choose not to post for fear of reprisals, arguments and threats but i really felt compelled to post a reply to this thread.
    Are these "reprisals, arguments and threats" public or private - if serious enough, entire threads have been removed in the past for anything unreasonable, quite rightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    you could say that the road was becoming too stony.

The final straw was the way that David Bailey was bullied off the forum. His departure seemed a suitable time for me to slip away.
    Oh, get a grip some of you.

All this talk of bullying and harrasment is basically a reference to Rocky who I'd guess, for good or bad, is probably the forumite who makes the most impact. You're adults. If you don't like what he says or the way he says it then either
    * refer it to moderation if it breaks forum rules
    * ignore it

What's the ultimate consequence of such bullying? You get a ban from Rocky's events? Hardly worth worrying about is it?

I have a lot of issues with the way Rocky behaves on here (I don't know him well enough in real life to say if they are exclusive to his online persona) such as
    * criticising the poster not the post when he is losing an argument. For me, that only ever paints him in a poorer light than those he is criticising
    * displaying the same hypocrisy that he lambasts in others - for example, he arrived on here slating a certain teacher's professionalism yet that same teacher was on the teaching bill for Lux
    * slating people for spending long periods of time on here and then doing the same himself
    BUT he also is experienced and knowledgeable about the subject of this forum and offers a very valuable inside perspective on Ceroc the organisation that we do not see from other posters. Do we want everyone on here to share the same (mindless?) mindset?

And IMO David Bailey was not bullied off the forum. In his own way, particularly once he became a moderator, he would use that power to assume control over some other forumites. Fletch is not someone I have much time for on here but I completely understand what she means when she refers to the sniping he would do against her.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    As for scoring points, I've said it before, I feel more like a playground assistant in here, than a moderator sometimes...... "Miss Miss.. he said something rude to me, can you tell him off" And my response to those kids are... if you don't like him, don't play with him!
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think the Moderators have taken all their responsibility away. Like it or not, you're Supernanny, and we expect you to put him on the naughty step while you're here.

Personally, I think Franck should have 2 rules, and that's it.

He should set the rule of "Mi Casa es Su Casa" - and that we should all keep that in mind. If you don't respect Franck's house - then you deserve all you get - particularly if you get a load of abuse from existing people trying to live by this philosophy. They'll either learn - or go. But it does need him to (or a delegated Moderator) to step in when somebody completely refuses to live by this philosophy, and to chuck them out.

The only other one that should be kept in mind is "attack the argument, not the person". We need the passion of heated debates - but not at the cost of personal attacks on people. And there have been too many of those lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Sad though it is to say, I agree with this. Lory mentioned earlier that she feels like she's in charge of a playground sometimes. Well I was always told as a child that if you don’t respond to bullying behaviour, the bully will get fed up and go away because they’re not getting the response that they want.
    I disagree - you have to stand up to them.

(Although I only managed to do away with bullies in my life when I actually stood up to one – shame it took me over 30 years to do it.)
    Aha!
    Preferably do it with wit & charm. They'll soon stop picking on you & you can diffuse the situation with a laugh. (Of course, you know it's at their expense. )

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Well I was always told as a child that if you don’t respond to bullying behaviour, the bully will get fed up and go away because they’re not getting the response that they want.
    Plan A
    I'll make a huge effort by not biting when something/someone raises my hackles.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly
    Of course. But no-one wants to name names as it’s against forum rules and in case they get an infraction, or get bullied in turn.
    For the forum to be regenerated and open discussions to re-appear the group needs to ostracize these individuals for who and what they are.
    It sounds to me that people are talking about specific people here. OR am i missing something. If you read the last few posts, there is definate reference to person or persons in particular without mentioning an actual name.

I mean, should we just have a vote who to veto, would that make it better. LOL
    If this consistent behavior was outlined with removal from the forum for it would stop this straight away and then allow new members to see the good things that were so good about the forum when we first joined.
    Why can't we have a place we can report someone we feel is trolling, bullying, and just winding us up in general? If more than say 5? people complain about that one person, then they will be removed from the forum, after ignoring a couple of warnings to moderate their behaviour.
    I do think the wrist slap button is a good idea too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Plan A

Why can't we have a place we can report someone we feel is trolling, bullying, and just winding us up in general? If more than say 5? people complain about that one person, then they will be removed from the forum, after ignoring a couple of warnings to moderate their behaviour.
    I do think the wrist slap button is a good idea too.

mmmm we could have levels of slap.

Wrist slap for minor upsets

Ass slap for anything ( i love an ass slap)

Slap in the mouth if ya really out of order - three of those and ya out.!

oooh

Forhead slap - just cause it makes a good noise

ooh yeah bring on the slaps.

Blog Entries

mmmm we could have levels of slap.

Wrist slap for minor upsets

Ass slap for anything ( i love an ass slap)

Slap in the mouth if ya really out of order - three of those and ya out.!

oooh

Forhead slap - just cause it makes a good noise

ooh yeah bring on the slaps.
    Sounds to me like you're a bit of a slapper!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    All this talk of bullying and harrasment is basically a reference to Rocky who I'd guess, for good or bad, is probably the forumite who makes the most impact. You're adults. If you don't like what he says or the way he says it then either
    * refer it to moderation if it breaks forum rules
    * ignore it
    Oddly enough Rocky's posts always entice me back in to the forum, I find he makes the place more interesting, until he gets personal. That just makes me mad and I find it difficult to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

I think your interpretation is extreme ; "pushed TOO far", "as a group WE forgive", "ALL just an act"... It would be nice if life was that black and white, and simpler, but it isn't. I don't think there really are cardboard cut out heroes and villains here or anywhere else.
    Where I might not totally agree with this part of Simon's post in detail, I do agree with the sentiment. This sort of behaviour is very human and does happen, plenty, in the (or my, should I say!) outside world.

I do see plenty of barbed, oftime personal, sarcastic (quite often, perfectly polite) responses to personal remarks ... and so, no matter what people write, the evidence strongly suggests that (at least some) posters take what is written to heart, enough to retaliate. In an attempt to protect ego? Make the other person 'look' bad?? Defend an innocent bystander??? I really don't know.

What is achieved??
    Donno .... some (voyeuristic) amusement for the baying crowd, no doubt. Some disillusionment.
    How much does it add to the topic in question?? Maybe something for some in terms of amusement.

Sure ... a little bit here and there could quite easily be harmless banter .... but when it's all pervading ....
    [sigh]

Thread Information