Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Commercial Operator

Re: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Umm... except my post criticizing SC's post was to point out that his post's only purpose was to critize Fletch's post - and therefore it did have a purpose.
    Umm... except that SC's post didn't critcise Fletch's post, it merely stated how he felt.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    How many people have I introduced to the forum? 0 ...
    Wrong again, and twice within an hour. I looked at my inbox. First to catch my eye an invitation to become a friend from someone that I introduced to the forum years ago. So I go back to the forum to find a PM from someone that has joined the forum to PM me, because he wants my help with a book he is writing.

And I read this thread, see how relevance is lost and people start sniping at posters, and I conclude the answer, as a genrality, is us.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Umm... except that SC's post didn't critcise Fletch's post, it merely stated how he felt.
    No, of course not - I mean no-one in their right mind would consider this to be a criticism would they...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Fletch... do you believe that this post has helped the discussion, or in any way helped improve the tone of the forum, and helped make it in any way a friendlier, more welcoming place?..

Cool Re: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

So, after a promising start as a discussion it degenerates once again into petty sniping, aggressive questioning and bodily functions.

Hello new, inquisitive, dancer type person. Welcome to our wonderful world of dance. Sign up and jump on in, the vitriol and bile is lovely and hot

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    So, after a promising start as a discussion it degenerates once again into petty sniping, aggressive questioning and bodily functions.

Hello new, inquisitive, dancer type person. Welcome to our wonderful world of dance. Sign up and jump on in, the vitriol and bile is lovely and hot
    It always does Stokie.

Perhaps Frandsck is sick of running this joint and has secreted a few *bad apples deliberately so that everyone feks off and he can dissolve the forum and live happily every after.

*I wouldn't mind, but the tight bastard pays me in kind and his breath stinks of garlic.

Commercial Operator

So do you think she's wrong? Do you think she's being rude? Do you think she doesn't have a right to express how she feels? Or is it that you just don't respect her honesty given that you spend an awful lot of time on here?...
    I have no problem with how Fletch feels - that's up to her. I believe, however that it is quite possible to express such sentiments politely.

I also believe that in doing so, she would make her point far more telling, and help to maintain a nicer environment here on the forum - a scenario in which, I believe, everyone wins.

Good manners cost nothing, and benefit us all. IMHO.

Commercial Operator

No, of course not - I mean no-one in their right mind would consider this to be a criticism would they...
    It's simply a question. A leading question, I'll grant you - but a question nonetheless, and I asked it partly to make a point, yes, but partly because I don't know the answer. Her answer may well be a simply "yes". It may be a "No", it may be a "I don't care". I'm curious to know.

If I had intended simply to criticise, and say 'That post was....[critical description]', I would have done so. Albeit politely

It was a rhetorical question because SC didn't require an answer as he'd already made his own mind up about how Fletch's post made him feel - as such it was a statement followed by a further statement that said that posts like this makes him want to leave the forum, which clearly showed it was a criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I have no problem with how Fletch feels - that's up to her. I believe, however that it is quite possible to express such sentiments politely.

I also believe that in doing so, she would make her point far more telling, and help to maintain a nicer environment here on the forum - a scenario in which, I believe, everyone wins.

Good manners cost nothing, and benefit us all. IMHO.
    Oh, I see, so you want the Forum to adhere to your own ideal rather than the real World of feelings and frustrations then? That's not to say that I don't agree with you, but more to say that people deal with things in different ways and express themselves in different ways - that's what makes the World go round. You don't like it, but I think it's refreshing..
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 13th-July-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Quoted reported post which has now been removed.

What perplexes me about this discussion is how we can get people who...

1. complain about a moderator clampdown, new rules, etc.
    *and*
    2. complain about rudeness and flaming.

Don't you see the contradiction?

If you want less rudeness and flaming, then you need stronger moderation, tighter rules and/or more moderators. And you've also got to let the moderators get on with their jobs – even if that means having to tell you off now and then.

As a moderator, I tried to make this place a politer place to visit, but it's an uphill struggle when everything you do generates more flaming rather than less.

I don't visit this forum as often as I used to for these reasons:

1) Less personal time.
    2) Less bunking-off time at work.
    3) Facebook keeps me in touch with what my friends are up to better.
    4) Lack of interesting discussion.

Whatever the reasons for the "lack of interesting discussion", and there's undoubtedly a number of factors, it can become a vicious circle. No interesting posts stops people visiting and generating more interesting posts.

I can think of a number of ways to fix this, but ultimately it comes down to you lot.

If you want a useful, interesting forum...

1) Post more often.
    2) Report posts which you think are against the letter or spirit of the rules of the forum. (If you think the rules are wrong, tell us!)

It's up to you.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Cool Re: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    If you want less rudeness and flaming, then you need stronger moderation, tighter rules and/or more moderators...
    ...or for posters to start behaving like adults

Like that's ever going to happen?

Let's face it, unless we want the forum to be an invitation-only clique, it has to be open to all. Good moderation helps to keep things civil.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

It was a rhetorical question because SC didn't require an answer as he'd already made his own mind up about how Fletch's post made him feel - ...
    Which is to strongly imply that the feeling stems from a conscious mental thought process.

It might do in some people's world, but definitely not in mine [please note my restraint in not being obviously personal, and accusative .... all sorts of people think alls sorts of things ... some of which I understand and some I will learn to and some I will never]

One perspective of Stray's post is:

On reading this post, I felt bad (my feeling, my issue, and not any poster's)

Being that the case, I want to understand the motivation behind the posting. Was it a)? b)? c)? or some other?

Please feel free to textually break down my or any post or response ..... but bear in mind that some psychologists suggest that most of the context of that meaning is generally lost due to lack of voice quality and gestural body language {Albert_Mehrabian and Ray_Birdwhistell} ... being replaced, very rapidly, by the reader's own mental filters.

For my part, I do my best to not involve myself in petty, childish, playground name calling, and insult trading. I like to think I have succeed, for the most part. What purpose does it serve? I use to think that it made me look clever!!

As Mahatma Mohandas Ghandi once said 'An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind' [except in Hindi ... or Urdu, or something!]

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The Roman's used lead pipe in Rome, causing the population to suffer, unknowingly, from lead poisoning.

In it's way the Roman plumbing contributed to the Fall of Rome.

Fertility was impaired by the lead in the drinking and cooking water.

The Hot Baths and Steam Rooms, which the males frequented daily, didn't help their sperm count either.
    As long as you're on the Forum posting this sort of stuff on this sort of thread, Astro, I'm going nowhere. Always brings a smile to my face.

FWIW ... I think that this is the most insightful thread for a long time am reporting any inflamatory, combative, retaliatory and/or personal posts.

They add nothing, and conspire simply to spread disillusionment and disharmony and really is neither clever nor adult.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Good moderation helps to keep things civil.
    I have removed/edited some posts which have been reported as unnecessary, offensive, baiting and rude.

I would like to clarify that this was at the request of other forumites, not those most involved in the "debate".
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

There are bullies on this forum who seem to benefit from a little double standard and have an habit of shutting up the less confident people and I can't stand it. I'm not one of those people that can be silenced in that way, so in some (rare) cases I feel compelled to reply, in a sarcastic yet polite manner.

However it seems this is seen by some forumites as 'unnecessary and offensive' and hence my post is deleted... so on that note I won't bother anymore, happy ruling to the bullies.

I haven't read all the posts, but for me, when I joined the forum many years ago, it was about chatting to people about a joint interest. Some who I had never met, in fact most as when I joined the emphasis was still on ceroc SCOTLAND!
    Through the forum I have met many great friends, mainly from Scotland..but a few others dotted in and around the rest of the UK. I wont mention names as its not fair, I dont want to miss someone out!
    I have spent a few weekends in the early days before the weekender market went wild.. a couple of good years in Blackpool too

I got to know people thru their forum persona first.. had a few terrible thoughts and ideas of Andy McG and Gus, however two nicer people I couldn't wish to meet...

I stopped posting regularly a year or so ago, when the forum became far too London based and far too Luvvie!

The personalities have gone.. replaced by posters who enjoy nothing other than making other people look or feel bad.. too much slagging off and not enough light hearted humour and banter..

My opinion for what it worth.. I do still read tho.. just have nothing to add

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    FWIW ... I think that this is the most insightful thread for a long time am reporting any inflamatory, combative, retaliatory and/or personal posts.

They add nothing, and conspire simply to spread disillusionment and disharmony and really is neither clever nor adult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    There are bullies on this forum who seem to benefit from a little double standard and have an habit of shutting up the less confident people and I can't stand it. I'm not one of those people that can be silenced in that way, so in some (rare) cases I feel compelled to reply, in a sarcastic yet polite manner.

However it seems this is seen by some forumites as 'unnecessary and offensive' and hence my post is deleted... so on that note I won't bother anymore, happy ruling to the bullies.
    Good moderation helps to keep things civil.
    Then, can we see some "Good moderation," please?

I don't always agree with Caro... but, sometimes (just sometimes ) she has a point. There are posters on here who are allowed to bully others, and it is sickening to watch. In light of no moderation, it is up to forumites to stand up for each other, for respect and for the greater good: all of which means challenging the bullies and not accepting their behaviour.

So, moderators... if U're going to moderate, do so. If U're not, allow us to self moderate as we did in the old days... Ducasi threw the gauntlet of forumites wanting cake and eating it to the forum, I am throwing it back...

In an earlier post, I suggested the future of the forum lay in the hands of forumites: well, moderators are forumites also... again, this is an opportunity for each of us to be Somebody. Let's take it...

Blog Entries

Hear, hear! Now where's the bar?

It has been my observation that extremely aggressive and offensive posts on the forum often go unchallenged and can actually be well rewarded with rep scores jumping up, while posts which merely express an opinion that doesn't happen to be 100% positive, sweetness and light are jumped upon (as can be seen on this very thread).

IMO it's the latter holier-than-thou, fake, shallow, passive aggressive, disguised attacks that cause more friction on the forum than anything else.

Thread Information