Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Re: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    1. Not wanting someone knowing every think I do.
    Is that aimed at yourself fletch? It should be. Only if YOU are posting what YOU are up to on here can 'someone' know every 'think' you do.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    So on this basis it's important that people are allowed to air their grievances without being derided.
    Some people believe that the Forum is less prevalent because of the 'flaming' that goes on - and of course this is rubbish.
    Back on thread.... what is it we think is killing the Forum, as Stokie says...

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Is that aimed at yourself fletch? It should be. Only if YOU are posting what YOU are up to on here can 'someone' know every 'think' you do.
    Steady... that's just the kind of sarcastic comment people complain about... (Although apparently it is OK if you put one of these after a comment like that...)

Seriously the level of stupidity (to quote Amir) on here from people with no knowledge at all about what they are talking about is deafening.
    In which case the forum is a decent representation of the Web as a whole I'd have thought.

That's why you see so few Commercial Operators who are active - why would you spend your time building a business and to try to offer something for the dance community just to have people publicly criticize what you do without ever actually taking the time to pick up a phone, write an email or talk to you personally about issues before airing their views in a very public manner?
    The minute you start charging people for something is the minute you open yourself up to this kind of review, whether you like it or not. I don't think you do get a great deal of criticism for 'what you do' other than the very subjective area of music choice.

I stay because I absolutely abhore the .. 'thanks' hounds ...
    But quite happy to feed them if they praise one of your events? (cf Twisted last weekend)

The minute you start charging people for something is the minute you open yourself up to this kind of review, whether you like it or not. I don't think you do get a great deal of criticism for 'what you do' other than the very subjective area of music choice.
    I wasn't referring to me Rob, but to the countless other CO's who never heard of a 'problem' with their event until it's publicly stated.

But quite happy to feed them if they praise one of your events? (cf Twisted last weekend)
    People who praise events aren't really 'thanks' hounds. 'Thanks' hounds are people who make public statements for effect...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    Theory I - Vanity vanity, all is vanity

I think this is somewhat true..

Realising that stuff posted on here, is here for time in memorial, I tend to use FB much more as the outlet for my inane 'drivel' nowadays (responding to people statements etc) Remarks on FB, are here today and gone tomorrow! Also, I have control over who's reads it.

But on here, I 'try' to reserve my posts, to when I have something more 'significant' to say! (yes I know, I know )

Theory II - bring back the sharks

The only group that left but never got replaced were those only here to advertise. That might sound like a good thing, but although an organiser might only have joined to promote their events, they might stick around to slag off ceroc and brag about their teaching methods, nose around a couple of other threads and perhaps argue about a point or two. These things start conversations and spur on different bands of customers to argue it out too.
    I agree but they were a VERY small minority and I suppose if I had 'my' way I'd probably allow some leniency, for those who 'participate' in the forum as a whole.
    But this would be such a grey area and fraught with all sorts of problems.. too many to even bother to list!

Theory III - why say what someone has said for you?
    Unless I have a new angle or something I want to add from a personal perspective, I wont just repeat what another person has already said.

Theory IV - why use roman numerals and not roman plumbing?

It makes no sense. And yet strangely, I don't care.
    That's probably the biggest stumbling block for most people..
    Generally people care too much! And I'm just as guilty.

If I'm totally honest, I hold back on posting a lot of what I REALLY want to say, for example 'constructive reviews', for fear that people will read a particular post in isolation and judge me as taking a particular stand 'for or against' a certain organisation.

I've had a taste of what its like to be accused of being biased.. and I didn't like it one bit!

But, believe it or not, I take my position as moderator very seriously and even if I wholeheartedly disagreed with someone's POV on a personal level, i will fight for their right to be allowed to voice it!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    At the same time, I left the fold and became an independent. I remember I was erm, reprimanded for a set of posts... I was doing the am going here, here, here and here: would be good to see U type of thing. I was going to 2 Ceroc events and 2 independent events, and was accused of advertising!!
    This is that old grey area again.

I've had people who've come up to me and told me to my face, they can't stand the forum, they think everyone who uses it are 'to55ers' and yet, strangely enough, they still come on here when a 'friends' running an event, to ask 'who's going'?

It feels that debate, real debate has been stifled.
    I agree but not by the moderators... I think a lot is 'self moderated' for reasons I've said above.

"I argue point X" used to get a reply of "well, point X is all well and good, but Y puts that to sleep and Z makes it irrelevant". It now gets a "*** do U know about X, and U're only sayng that because U have an agenda."
    Its pants
    I agree, it pants............ 'sometimes!'

(For the record, this isn't Franck beating here... I still have same respect for him, I think he still has same feel about Forum, tolerance, open honest debate, etc...)
    Thank you.
    I think Franck probably does have some very strong personal views but even when he was attacked personally and a moderator removed the post, like we would have done with anyone.
    I asked him if I could re-instate those posts and he agreed, as I wanted to show that there is 'NO Bias' in our moderation of this forum! ! ! !
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Back on thread.... what is it we think is killing the Forum, as Stokie says...
    No, he said WHO not WHAT

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    The reasons I have stopped posting in any quantities is.
    Fletch... do you believe that this post has helped the discussion, or in any way helped improve the tone of the forum, and helped make it in any way a friendlier, more welcoming place?

Quite seriously (for a moment) - every often when I see a post of this nature, it takes me a small step closer to leaving the forum for good. Perhaps this is just me... but that is how it makes me feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I also like threads to drift off-topic... They seem to quickly die a death when they get split.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post

Theory IV - why use roman numerals and not roman plumbing?
    The Roman's used lead pipe in Rome, causing the population to suffer, unknowingly, from lead poisoning.

In it's way the Roman plumbing contributed to the Fall of Rome.

Fertility was impaired by the lead in the drinking and cooking water.

The Hot Baths and Steam Rooms, which the males frequented daily, didn't help their sperm count either.
    Last edited by Astro; 13th-July-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

It was Astro

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The Hot Baths and Steam Rooms, which the males frequented daily didn't help their sperm count either.
    I'd have thought that depended on their attitude to giving and receiving?

I'd have thought that depended on their attitude to giving and receiving?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Quite seriously (for a moment) - every often when I see a post of this nature, it takes me a small step closer to leaving the forum for good. Perhaps this is just me... but that is how it makes me feel.
    So let me get this straight... just because Fletch has posted about her frustration about how posting on this Forum has made her feel it makes YOU want to leave??

Her post is spot on and is actually very representative of people's views who DON'T become members or people who don't post anymore:

2. some people twisting every thing people say and loosing the meaning behind the post

3. The total BO!!OCK$ some people talk

4. The &R$E licking by some

So do you think she's wrong? Do you think she's being rude? Do you think she doesn't have a right to express how she feels? Or is it that you just don't respect her honesty given that you spend an awful lot of time on here?...

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The Roman's used lead pipe in Rome, causing the population to suffer, unknowingly, from lead poisoning.
    All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

So let me get this straight... just because Fletch has posted about her frustration about how posting on this Forum has made her feel it makes YOU want to leave??
    Well it was all negative from Fletch. But if you suggest Fletches negative comments are valid, why are Straycats not...or yours for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Well it was all negative from Fletch. But if you suggest Fletches negative comments are valid, why are Straycats not...or yours for that matter?
    I haven't said that his comments are not valid (although 'valid' is a subjective term) I've just suggested I disagreed with them and that's mostly to do with the fact that he's given no explanation for why he said what he did.

Hmm.. I see a market here for a board game!

"Cerudo :Who killed the Ceroc Forum!"

Was it Colonel Rocky in the Library with a Throat Seeking Killer attack Goatee?
    Was it Dr Scathe in every room, with a pack of ravenous typo seeking smurfs?
    Was it Lady Fletch, in the boudoir with a carfully selekted freudian speling meatsteak.
    Perhaps et vaz Ze marquise de Caro vif 'er vest coast sweenging pendulum of doom?
    Professor Beowulf, in the playroom with his irrelevant Random Wardrobe hatstand Wibble?
    or Perhaps Witchfinder Bailey with his thread severing scythe ?

or perhaps.. just perhaps... it was None of the above. And the Ceroc Scotland forum faked it's own death to cash in the life insurance and set up a dance francise on an island with no extradition treaty?

Personally I've been here since... 2003? and I've seen people come and go. The forum's not dead .. it's just sleeping (fights the urge to break into a "Dead Forum Sketch") when new blood arrives. or some of the old blood congeals then it'll return.

I'm sure of it.. or I'll eat my Random Wardrobe hat-stand

I don't consider Fletch's post rude and just wondered if SC did and whether that was the reason for him wanting to leave the Forum..
    I can't answer for SC, but my guess would be that it came across as a very negative post rather than constructive, which is why he didn't like it.
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 13th-July-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Edited post, reported as offensive to another forumite.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I haven't said that his comments are not valid (although 'valid' is a subjective term) I've just suggested I disagreed with them and that's mostly to do with the fact that he's given no explanation for why he said what he did.
    yes but your post was entirely criticising his and served no other purpose - both Fletch and Straycat made a post that expressed their feelings, and I wouldn't criticse either of them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    yes but your post was entirely criticising his and served no other purpose...
    Umm... except my post criticizing SC's post was to point out that his post's only purpose was to critize Fletch's post - and therefore it did have a purpose.

Thread Information