Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Re: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    As someone who does use Facebook to help promote my events, I agree.

I never spam my "friends" with event invites or messages promoting my events, and it annoys me when others do. And I also agree that the "Oooh I I'm looking forward to tonight's super duper class" status updates are annoying.

That doesn't mean FB can't be used to promote your business, it just means it has to be used well. My promotions and communications are always within the specific group which I've set up for that purpose. The group is not even open - you have to ask to join it or be invited. So you have to make a conscious effort to be part of that group, and of course you can always leave it as well.
    I’m happy to receive event invitations or messages because it keeps me informed of my choices that but what I can’t cope with is this false excitement of ‘Ooh only 2 more sleeps until xxx – so excited – the music will be wonderful’ and it’s for their own event – just make me not want to go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    By the way, my workshop on Sunday was bloody
    Fixed that for you.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    what I can’t cope with is this false excitement of ‘Ooh only 2 more sleeps until xxx – so excited – the music will be wonderful’ and it’s for their own event – just make me not want to go!!!
    Oh yes.

And that's one of the reasons why aftermath / review threads - by and large - are some of the best on this place, simply because - by and large - the expectation is that such reviews are rounded and contain "good, bad and ugly" elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I did that.. and ended up with 2 friends.. and one of those was imaginary
    rather than un friend them, I block them
    Then, when no one is left, I unblock every one and start again
    can someone write an app "3 blocks and your out "

Blog Entries

I dont really go on it enough for it to bother me. I do laugh at some of the posts though, they are quite amusing. They also make you realise the true colours of some so called dance friends/associates/etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Simply put there are now considerably easier, more pleasant places to go and discuss technique or chat with friends. Why spend a great deal of time and effort dealing with trolls, derailed threads, general inanity (in technique threads) and so on here when you can choose to go elsewhere and have decent, fun, respectful conversations?
    Always interesting looking back in hindsight.

Jim’s started some interested threads lately and I’m optimistic about him starting more as he progresses.

I think a lot of the people who took up WCS / tango have simply gotten to the point where they don’t really need to discuss it here. They’ll either get better answers elsewhere or are happy where they are and aren’t looking for answers any more.

Likewise I think a lot of people just moved on from Ceroc. It seems like I mainly see them at weddings or tango now.

I think the older generation, especially the Scottish travelled a lot more extensively. With the demise of Slinkys, I don’t think I’ve met any of the Next Generation of forumites in a Ceroc context.

It’s nice to see that “Take It Outside” gets used a lot less, though sadly there's still trolls on here and that looks unlikely to change.

I think overall I'd answer the question with "Too little too late." Too many of the people who made useful contributions stopped, either leaving completely or lurking. A few came back and make helpful comments, but overall sadly I still pretty much agree with my post above.

Years ago David Bailey made a suggestion about making a list of useful threads - I still think that's a good idea. There's a lot of useful information buried in here. As for the future, we'll see, but I'm not optimistic.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Always interesting looking back in hindsight.
    Its clear to me Ghost, that you look for something entirely different from the forum to what I look for.

And I tend to agree, if you're looking for in depth technical chat, about Tango or WCS, this is not the place you're going to find it.

If you're looking for unbiased information about who's going where, or useful tips about weekenders and a lot of threads on completely un dance related with opinions from fellow dancers, then this is perfect!

Its also good for sharing ideas, having the odd moan, sharing your experience of an 'amazing night' and asking questions about computer stuff (I always get a helpful answer on here )

I don't find the things I like about the forum on FB but equally, there's think I can't do on here that I can on FB
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    And I tend to agree, if you're looking for in depth technical chat, about Tango or WCS, this is not the place you're going to find it.

If you're looking for unbiased information about who's going where, or useful tips about weekenders and a lot of threads on completely un dance related with opinions from fellow dancers, then this is perfect!

Its also good for sharing ideas, having the odd moan, sharing your experience of an 'amazing night' and asking questions about computer stuff (I always get a helpful answer on here )

I don't find the things I like about the forum on FB but equally, there's think I can't do on here that I can on FB
    Well I'm a relative newcomer to the forum and I appreciate it! Especially the weekender threads. And I'm interested (having done AT for a long time) in anything to do with Blues dancing.

Also like the DJing stuff. Cant be arsed to listen to Radio 1 these days, just want to know what is danceable and what's not.

Its clear to me Ghost, that you look for something entirely different from the forum to what I look for.
    Looking back nostalgically....

I made a lot of good friends here and have a lot of fond memories such as pushing Taz off the swings and trying to get Sparkles to bake umpteen chocolate cakes for Jango I also got a lot of good advice about how to dance Ceroc, such as the evils of signalling and what moves women like. And I worked out a lot of useful stuff that still influences the way I dance today.

So yup, we just want different things.

For me the Forum is about the Forumites. Its the people behind the Forum personas - that I then get to meet and dance with at weekenders. Yes lots of useful tips and snippets. I like that I can ask stuff on here and someone often has useful info. I like having an idea of what's happening in terms of big events (even though I'm over here in NI, I do sometimes get a chance to travel and dance). Its good to have somewhere to discuss all sorts of things, non dance related too.

But its about the people for me - even those I haven't met but feel I have a shared connection of forum community with. I haven't forgotten a couple of years ago when I was seriously ill in hospital, getting a card delivered to me on the hospital ward, signed by forumites. That was really appreciated and meant a lot - and says a lot about the value of this forum and people on it.

Thread Information