Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Cool Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

I've noticed over that past few months that this forum has become far less busy. The ratio of chatter to dance talk has increased too. I have spoken with a couple of people about this phenomena (or perceived phenomena) and it would seem to be a combination of Facebook and one or two of the grumpier customers here that may be to blame.

People only have so much free time, so do they spend that time chatting to mates on Facebook, or talking here with the risk of being cut down in a hail of arguments and abuse? They are also "allowed" to post whatever they wish on Facebook without having to worry about breaking the rules or receiving infractions. Facebook is also a lot less anonymous. It's easy to sit and hurl abuse at a random screen name... but put someone's real name (complete with photograph) on the screen and it suddenly becomes a little more personal!

So was CSF of it's time, or are reports of it's demise premature? What are your thoughts?

Re: Who Killed The Ceroc Scotland Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    it would seem to be a combination of Facebook and one or two of the grumpier customers here that may be to blame.
    IMHO, its the grumpys, not face book

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I've noticed over that past few months that this forum has become far less busy. The ratio of chatter to dance talk has increased too.
    I've noticed that too, a lot less busy. As someone who does mainly chatter rather that much dance talk i don't think there is any more chatter, probably a lot less in fact, but with even less dance talk it can seem like that's all their is. Where have all the good posters gone ?

I have spoken with a couple of people about this phenomena (or perceived phenomena) and it would seem to be a combination of Facebook and one or two of the grumpier customers here that may be to blame.
    We have had far far grumpier people in the past and far more argumentative people, they have dropped away - so I don't think there is any 'blame' to be handed out. There are simply less people posting.

So was CSF of it's time, or are reports of it's demise premature? What are your thoughts?
    I think you are correct. Facebook is much more social and personal and not an opinionated forum - it is probably what a lot of people wanted yet didn't really get from a forum like this.

I've noticed over that past few months that this forum has become far less busy. The ratio of chatter to dance talk has increased too. I have spoken with a couple of people about this phenomena (or perceived phenomena) and it would seem to be a combination of Facebook and one or two of the grumpier customers here that may be to blame.
    Bring back David Bailey.

I think that the forum misses David Bailey. He did a lot to stimulate "the lets talk about dance" section. I now notice that this section often goes for days without any new threads and sometimes without any posts either. I also think the topics on this section are not what they were.

However the other section I like to read, the social events section seems to just as god as it was, maybe even better since DavidY became a moderator.

It comes and goes in waves - just need some keen beginners/improvers to start asking questions again.

Although I agree that with the likes of Facebook, there are more places to ask the questions... I think perhaps you would get a slightly more 'informed' opinion here.

Also; the bigger it gets, the less folk you actually "know" and the more intimidating it gets for new folk to speak up - all these people in bold with lots of pips under their names and huge numbers of posts/reps... I suppose a parallel cold be drawn to a new dancer in a new venue. Perhaps we should have "Taxi posters" ?

I think some of the humour is missing that was there when I first joined and I miss that.

I have noticed when I log on the number of posts since I last logged on have gone down considerably.

Simple view - the 'old guard' who actually knew about dance, got replaced by people who think they know about dance. Net result is a dance Forum with increasingly less informed opinions on dance. IMHO

I think the character of the forum has definitely changed. A while back, threads often covered the same subjects (albeit from various angles) but they were kept entertaining by the "characters" who posted on them and kept a bit of humour in their posts.

Then we started getting the "I know better than you and I'll shout you down if you disagree" brigade posting on here, and it became a lot less fun to participate in discussions. Threads often tend to end up in one of two categories these days: dry, factual and devoid of humour and banter, or flame-fests.

I still read the forum, but I post a lot less than I used to because I only have a finite amount of time and I'd rather spend it doing something enjoyable than risk being shot down for expressing an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I think the character of the forum has definitely changed. A while back, threads often covered the same subjects (albeit from various angles) but they were kept entertaining by the "characters" who posted on them and kept a bit of humour in their posts.

Then we started getting the "I know better than you and I'll shout you down if you disagree" brigade posting on here, and it became a lot less fun to participate in discussions. Threads often tend to end up in one of two categories these days: dry, factual and devoid of humour and banter, or flame-fests.

I still read the forum, but I post a lot less than I used to because I only have a finite amount of time and I'd rather spend it doing something enjoyable than risk being shot down for expressing an opinion.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

When I first joined the forum there was lots of humour and light hearted pi$$ taking. I've never been interested in the serious threads about dancing, but it used to be fun to read and join in with the banter.

I find this more interesting than FB, mainly because here I get to 'chat' and find out people's views on dance topics/queries, and find out about what's going on at venues/freestyles etc. On FB I'm limited on this as my dance friends there are based on people I see all the time, rather than people here. It's good to get other views from people I don't necessarily know.

I personally don't get offended by the politics and arguments, but it can often seem scary as it's often hard to tell with posters you don't know to work out whether the comments are really derogatory or tongue in cheek.

Let's hope more people come back to posting, and the number of dance related topics come back as that's why most of us are on here.

I think the character of the forum has definitely changed. ......I'd rather spend it doing something enjoyable than risk being shot down for expressing an opinion.
    If regulars like Bruch feel this way, we should not be surprised that forum virgins, are hesitant to post. May be we need a "Virgins Table" were people with more than a certaine number of green blobs, are banned
    Last edited by philsmove; 12th-July-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Em, whilst I think FB is great, to 'me' FB seems to have two distinct area's.... personal interaction between friends (not necessarily anything to do with dancing) and Event promotion/advertising (which isn't allowed on here) neither of which really come anywhere near to replacing the topics, discussions and reviews we have on here.

Also, I've often gone back to things on here and re read them.. on the Nurd section for example, when I brought my Mac and I'm always revisiting the DJ booth. You can't go back to stuff on FB

My favourite area of the forum, is without doubt the Social Section, the who's going where polls and reviews, I find it extremely informative and I know I'm sad but I even love the luvviness!
    I feel there's a sense of community but maybe that's because i've been an integral part of here for a long time?

On FB, I have NEVER seen an unbiased review... has there ever been one? I mean from a paying punter?

Yes, FB has fulfilled a niche on the advertising front and we have the choice if we wish to 'dump the friend' who constantly bombards our inboxes with adverts for their events

Going slightly off topic, having see how FB has developed... personally I am SOOOO GLAD we've stuck to our guns and disallowed advertising on here.. I really think it would have been the beginning of the end of any form of discussion.. That's just my view of course!

i think there has been a decline in posts but I believe some of that decline has been the fact that some of the 'commercial operators' have now found another source for advertising, and so they no longer bother to enter into discussions, of which they probably didn't want to do anyway but it was the only way they'd get the chance to get their event or name 'out there'!
    Last edited by Lory; 12th-July-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

A lot of people who know what they are talking about re dancing don't post here anymore because...?

There was always arguments and heated threads, but it was usually a few people who butted heads - or people who posted a bit tongue in cheek with humour. Now it seems to be extreme sarcasm and sometimes rather unpleasant. Too much of that changes the tone and people don't want to be attacked for just saying what they think.

Has that been part of the change? I really don't think its because of Facebook - it offers a different sort of online space.

There is still a community here, and its more than just words on a screen - I was very aware of that when I was ill and got a card signed by people while in hospital and by the warm welcome I got from many forumites when I arrived at Skeggy.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    However the other section I like to read, the social events section seems to just as god as it was, maybe even better since DavidY became a moderator.
    I don't think it's anything to do with me -just coincidence, I think.
    Love dance, will travel

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    There was always arguments and heated threads, but it was usually a few people who butted heads - or people who posted a bit tongue in cheek with humour. Now it seems to be extreme sarcasm and sometimes rather unpleasant. Too much of that changes the tone and people don't want to be attacked for just saying what they think.
    So, what's the answer?

Is it to do with moderating... or lack of, if I'm hearing you correctly Lynn?

Or is it to do with something else? If so, lets sort it out!

Lets hear what you want?

Its YOUR forum!

Personally I'd hate to loose the forum, I know for a fact, if it wasn't for the forum, I'd never have met half of my FB buddies.

As Stokie said, one can view the forum from afar (anonymously) or one can take part, unlike FB (although in saying that, I'm sure I have lot's of 'friends' on FB, who have no interest in me, or my opinions or anything else, they have simply made friends with me because they see me as a 'commodity' or a channel through which they can advertise.

The thing is, we're ALL equal in this, it all depends on how much 'EVERYONE' puts into it...and 'everyone' has a part to play

I'm sure you've all heard this little story.........

............. about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Bring back David Bailey.

I think that the forum misses David Bailey.

DTS was right to be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    So, what's the answer?
    Not sure...

Is it to do with moderating... or lack of, if I'm hearing you correctly Lynn?
    Not really, over moderation can be equally bad in changing the tone of a forum and making people feel they can't say anything. A bit of courtesy sometimes from some posters wouldn't go amiss but you can't moderate people for being just rude as its hard for a moderator to make the call between playful banter (which is OK) and a lack of respect for other people's opinons (which is allowed, but is definitely going to make people cut back on participation). Its a hard balance and I think the moderators here do a really good job.

We need a certain amount of self moderation, thinking about how people might react/respond to what we are posting.

The Forum is a collection of people, its naive for folk to think that just because we don't use real names (of course some of us do!) that its somehow some sort of virtual world and other posters don't really exist - but I think some people do act as if that is the case! There are real people at the end of all these keyboards and if they don't like the direction the general tone of things is taking, then they are going to either leave suddenly (which a few do) or just generally post less.

Personally I'd hate to loose the forum, I know for a fact, if it wasn't for the forum, I'd never have met half of my FB buddies.
    I agree - a good few of my FB friends are folk from on here and when I come on weekenders I love catching up with people in person, and have had some amazing dances with forumites that I otherwise may not have had.

I know I don't post as much as I used to. There simply seem to be fewer threads that I feel I can contribute something useful/interesting to, and some of the interesting threads just descend into circular arguements and that gets incredibly boring. So I give up. There's only so many times you can read the same arguements, be it Ceroc vs. JA or Mr Shnikov vs. and any form of religion

However as Lynn and Lory say, I still value the forum. If I didn't know people through here, I'd hardly go to any weekenders as I'd feel too lonely, and the few freestyles I make it to at the present would be less interesting. And I'd hardly have any friends on FB either! In fact, I hardly look at FB in terms of dancing.

The threads I regularly use are the social who's going where (though I don't seem to be going anywhere very much these days thanks to decorating duties) and review, and the occasional chit-chat threads.

Am not sure there is much you can do about it though. I guess that the forum will go through phases of frenetic activity, and then lulls. It always seems busiest just before and after a big weekender, which is hardly surprising.

Anyway, to paraphrase, rumours of the death of the forum have been greatly exaggerated
    Last edited by Twirly; 12th-July-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    the same arguements, be it Ceroc vs. JA or Mr Shnikov vs. and form of religion
    or pitched street battles between the Apple Jets Vs the PC Sharks

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Anyway, to paraphrase, rumours of the death of the forum have been greatly exaggerated
    of course for some people (guilty as charged m'lud) you could have paraphrased another quotation.

"I am become death.. The destroyer of threads"

Thread Information