Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ad blocking is immoral

Re: ad blocking is immoral

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    A good point, and some are worth watching regardless of what they are selling, and they do stick with you if they make an impression.

However, TV adverts and web adverts are 2 very different mediums - TV is obviously quite a mature medium, the www much less so - there is no real policing of web adverts .e.g the pop ups made to look like a normal windows box, informing you that "your computer is at risk" and "spyware detected" etc... that sort of deception was banned years ago on TV*. Not only should people filter the content on pages they don't want, its actually advisable for the less technically savvy to have ad-blocking set as a default.

* TV adverts used to have fake "news readers" advertising products or a close up of a product to make it appear bigger...etc...all of which is now banned.

There is a big difference between having a intrusive adds (hotmail tried this a while back and now have stopped) wandering all over your page and like the advert on this site top right. That advert is out of date but its not intrusive

you need to make your mind up what you dont like/want

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    My arguments have so far been about website owners claiming ad-blocking is immoral (perhaps i should have used that as the thread title? ) - which i say is nonsense. At no point have I said what I want, but I have made my mind up about adverts and... they don't bother me as i just ignore them, and i tend not to use ad blockers (pop up blockers tend to be built into the browsers i use anyway which stops the really annoying stuff).

I have to echo DS's bewilderment. What do you mean by this?

There is a big difference between having a intrusive adds (hotmail tried this a while back and now have stopped) wandering all over your page and like the advert on this site top right. That advert is out of date but its not intrusive
    Was about to ask "What ad do you mean?" - particularly as we both pay Franck for the cleaner lines of no ad world - when I realised that you meant the ad for Lux - I think I mentally eliminate all that is bannerlike (eg above the word welcome in my private message inbox) unless I want to get to the Ceroc Scotland homepage for something...

I probably only scan the quick news section, then only actually start paying attention once I get to the forum folders or even go straight to the unread threads link...

I am probably very typical of the eyetracking F shape - apart from the unread threads link at top right

WT

There is an element of "all adverts are bad" about this thread. Savvy advertisers have always tried to target their ads at the most willing customers. Maybe I want to know about better dance shoes, or a dance shoe sale. The Internet Marketers I have been studying are hot on Money back guarantees. Sometimes these are not genuine. Some use "Prove you did what I told you, and it did not work." If you can prove you did invest your life savings on "Load of Bull" in the 3.30 at Ascot, they will give you your ten dollars back. In the open world of the internet such scammers have short business lives.
    The new successful marketing model is to find the customers that can benefit from your product and let them buy it from you. We have anew breed of marketers, who know how to seek out gaps in the market, and serve those. Glenn Livingstone started out by identifying that there were not enough good books about guinea pigs. Never having had a Guinea pig, knowing nothing about them, he set up a website helpful to people choosing pets and considering Guinea Pigs, supplied them with loads of free info, commissioned a book, and started the process of selling guinea pig stuff to people that did not have guinea pigs. (yet)
    I have spybot installed, which stops a lot of info about me being collected. It is a two-edged sword. Before I used it I was getting loads of unwelcome mail, but also some highly valuable ads about products which very much interested me.
    The ethos gaining ground is to let the customer see instantly if the product interests them, and easily avoid it if it does not.
    This is why I keep advocating that the first thing anybody sees about anything promoting Ceroc is the word dance. People have to scan it to ignore it. If they ever do take an interest in dance then I want any mention of Ceroc to attract their attention.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    There is an element of "all adverts are bad" about this thread.
    I haven't noticed that at all. We have argued that web advert blocking is not immoral and we have had praise for tv adverts.

Before I used it I was getting loads of unwelcome mail, but also some highly valuable ads about products which very much interested me.
    If by "unwelcome", you mean "unsolicited", then you are defending an illegal and immoral practice. Spam is the bane of the internet, people caught mass spamming should be prevented from using a computer ever again .

The ethos gaining ground is to let the customer see instantly if the product interests them, and easily avoid it if it does not.
    Ad-blocking does that for you very effectively, for those that use it.

This is why I keep advocating that the first thing anybody sees about anything promoting Ceroc is the word dance. People have to scan it to ignore it. If they ever do take an interest in dance then I want any mention of Ceroc to attract their attention.
    So you would like Ceroc to gain the same association for dance as "Hoover" is for vacuum cleaners and "google" is for searching? I think thats a rather tall order. Better to try and get "Modern Jive" associated with easy dancing for beginners, the rest will follow.

association "google" is for searching?
    Better than Exciting something! it's ok when you're Exciting "particle energy levels" or something ... not so good when you tell your friends you're planning to Excite "Michael Jacksons Funeral" !

... Spam is the bane of the internet, people caught mass spamming should be prevented from using a computer ever again ...
    Newspaper ads? Advertising Hoardings? How does a new product get known?

... Ad-blocking does that for you very effectively, for those that use it...
    No, it does not. You cannot block all ads except those that interest you.

... So you would like Ceroc to gain the same association for dance as "Hoover" is for vacuum cleaners and "google" is for searching? ...
    Once again you are using foul debating tactics. Where have I said that? That would risk depreciating their trademark.

What I would like to see is Ceroc associated with dance like Peggy Spencer was, the SCD stars are, like waltz, quickstep etc. are. When someone sees "Ceroc" they know it is something to do with dance, and if they are interested in dance they will read on.

I haven't noticed that at all. We have argued that web advert blocking is not immoral and we have had praise for tv adverts.

Why do 'Microsoft' pay for hotmail and give it to you for free ?

Before you say I dont use hotmail , why do they give it to the other 420,000,000 for free ?

If hotmail and yahoo and all the rest knew none of their 'ads' got seen you would have to pay for an e-mail site, agree ?

Its not 'immoral' to block adds but lets hope people dont whinge when they have to pay for what are presently free sites

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Newspaper ads? Advertising Hoardings? How does a new product get known?
    Through an advertiser paying for advertising space - not illegaly harassing mebers of the public.

No, it does not. You cannot block all ads except those that interest you.
    Yes you can. As no adverts interest me, its very easy. But even where you do want to see some, you can block the images coming from some of the more annoying advertising sites easily enough.

Once again you are using foul debating tactics. Where have I said that? That would risk depreciating their trademark.
    You said "first thing anybody sees about ... Ceroc is the word dance." So thats why I questioned it - did you see the question mark ? look theres another one. You implied dance = ceroc, clearly you didn't mean that. Fine.

When someone sees "Ceroc" they know it is something to do with dance, and if they are interested in dance they will read on.
    Then I think Ceroc would do better if it associated itself with the term "modern jive" - everyone will think that sounds like a dance.

... Then I think Ceroc would do better if it associated itself with the term "modern jive" - everyone will think that sounds like a dance.
    Unfortunately Jive is associated with Ballroom Jive as seen on TV with dancers frenetically dancing choreographed steps separated from each other. This will eventually change via Youtube, but there is no assurance that a big breakthrough, a clip with mass viewing will be good news.

I also do not think that Ceroc would see it as in their best interests to promote the generic term rather than their own. Maybe best would be a cross industry organisation set up to do that. That sort of organisation would find it easier to get media coverage.

Thread Information