Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up your own web site

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Setting up your own web site

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Perhaps you could let him know where he is going wrong?

http://www.entrepreneur2009.co.uk/
    I'm too busy, but I'm sure there would be some good stuff - but the further irony is that that site is worse than the other one - it looks like a web-site for "cheEp C4nadian MEdS"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'm too busy, but I'm sure there would be some good stuff - but the further irony is that that site is worse than the other one - it looks like a web-site for "cheEp C4nadian MEdS"
    Not to mention that it could do with updating now that the event has finished .

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    really? I never even looked at the dates....but I am flattered that bigdjiver thinks I am capable of time travel.

really? I never even looked at the dates....but I am flattered that bigdjiver thinks I am capable of time travel.
    Sadly you don't "get it". Even more sadly you are far from alone.

The Internet is the most important and powerful businsess tool to come along since the invention of money. But it’s also a minefield – 90% of websites don’t make their owners a single penny.
    Why?
    Because, quite frankly, website designers DON’T know what sells and what doesn’t (clue: pretty graphics and lots of fancy technology might look nice but they DON’T make you money). ...
    ... simple, I demonstrate it live on the platform in real-time).
    "cheEp C4nadian MEdS" sell.

His "out of date" copy is aimed at attendees, and those that missed out. He claims to have sold 150+ DVD sets of the event at 495 pounds +Vat

since some of the 400+ attendees will want their employees to know what they know that seems likely to be true. At a very conservative estimate he has made 200,000 in profits in a few weeks.

It is not about time travel, it is about what works. You were looking at what has worked in the last two weeks. You might think he could have done even better with fancy graphics, but he has tested, and is testing, his methods against others.

Not strictly true; I'm researching this myself and only Inktomi definitely uses keywords. Teoma 'unofficially' supports keywords, but AllTheWeb, AltaVista and Google definitely do not. ....
    Source(s)?

... There's obviously no point taking them out if you already have them (unless you've over-done it and abused the system, which may give negative results), but the general consensus nowadays is that it's not worth the effort putting them into new sites/pages.
    Google is certainly looking for the truth of what the site is about, and does not like attempts to divert searchers away from the results they are seeking. Plain simple relevance, truth and honesty is what google and most searchers are looking for.

So, if a site is all graphics, flash and multimedia, how do he search engines know what the site is about?

Blog Entries

Source(s)?
    http://searchenginewatch.com/2167891#descriptionsupport

Google is certainly looking for the truth of what the site is about, and does not like attempts to divert searchers away from the results they are seeking. Plain simple relevance, truth and honesty is what google and most searchers are looking for.

So, if a site is all graphics, flash and multimedia, how do he search engines know what the site is about?
    There are 2 types of search engine collections:
    1. Machine (google etc)
    2. Human (Yahoo, Open Directory Project)

Both have ways to manually submit a website for inclusion into search results. Some ways are free, some you have to pay for (not necessarily for better results either).

If you have no searchable content and no-one submits your site, it won't show in the results.

What a site is about is something different to keyword meta-tags anyway. The brief description in the search results usually comes from the description meta-tag.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Sadly you don't "get it". Even more sadly you are far from alone.
    er...you suggested I "could let him know where he is going wrong" and posted a link to an event, I inferred that it was at this event I could meet him to "let him know". But that event had already taken place. So i deduced time travel was involved. But, oh, how wrong was I! Now, from your comment above, I can only assume you intended me to follow the contact information on that event page...but there isn't any. None at all. He'll get good follow up business through that then? Is it useful for past attendess to re-read the advertising screed for an event they were at? Hmm. Perhaps I am missing something really really clever. The fact that I am not getting it, is clear.

You are right though, i am far from alone. I have a good support network of friends, family and the nice lady in the train station newsagents who I talk to about the weather most mornings.

His "out of date" copy is aimed at attendees, and those that missed out. He claims to have sold 150+ DVD sets of the event at 495 pounds +Vat
    I highly doubt that. Really, highly doubt that he sold "150+ DVD sets of the event at 495 pounds +Vat". This is someone who, on that very event page , warns against how a "boring website can destroy your business" then proceeds to bore me with an enormous dull screed of blah blah blah yet he can't do the most basic of web page design - i.e. not boring, contact information...

since some of the 400+ attendees will want their employees to know what they know that seems likely to be true. At a very conservative estimate he has made 200,000 in profits in a few weeks.
    Even if "conservatively" true...this is useful to people how ? that they can then do exactly the same and make the same money running an identical event ? His profits for this event are in no way relevant to anyone else and their business.

I also loved the mention of "The remarkable technology that can let you have live converations with your online visitors and dramatically increase sales" referring to a simple chat box - something that meebo.com has provided free for years. chuckle.

It is not about time travel, it is about what works. You were looking at what has worked in the last two weeks. You might think he could have done even better with fancy graphics, but he has tested, and is testing, his methods against others.
    Got any evidence it works for anyone elses business? Also, note I was NOT talking about a "better anything", thats your spiel - I was only suggesting his web pages were of a traditional "make money for ME" template format, beloved of internet billshutters who charge money for rehashing general knowledge.

Here is some further reading about the event organiser

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biddjiver
    "cheEp C4nadian MEdS" sell.
    Forgot about this and can't let it go uncommented. They may sell, but in order to do so MILLIONS of people are spammed and the actual product is often illegal, poor quality or a placebo. At the very least it is a highly immoral industry. And yet you hold this up as a good thing simply because it makes money !

Forgot about this and can't let it go uncommented. They may sell, but in order to do so MILLIONS of people are spammed and the actual product is often illegal, poor quality or a placebo. At the very least it is a highly immoral industry. And yet you hold this up as a good thing simply because it makes money !
    Nowhere did I say it was "a good thing". What I said is that it sells.

You seem to me to be using the classic debating foul technique, playing the man not the ball.

My interest in all this is that I believe Modern Jive is a good thing, but that it could be better marketed. I type "dance classes" and a town name and in too many areas I do not see Ceroc or any other MJ organisation making it onto the first page of results. When I do see it I do not see good marketing to anyone new to dancing.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Nowhere did I say it was "a good thing". What I said is that it sells.

You seem to me to be using the classic debating foul technique, playing the man not the ball.
    Not at all. The "cheep canadian meds" thing was a very negative example of what his web site looks like, and he seems to have a similar outlook - punt rubbish at enough people and some of the stupid ones will give you money. Its all about the numbers. You didn't say it was a good thing, but by putting such importance (by highlighting in bold) on the selling regardless of the where and how, implies it is not as negative as I made out. Therefore "good" seemed like a reasonable conclusion. It isn't, its evil

My interest in all this is that I believe Modern Jive is a good thing, but that it could be better marketed. I type "dance classes" and a town name and in too many areas I do not see Ceroc or any other MJ organisation making it onto the first page of results. When I do see it I do not see good marketing to anyone new to dancing.
    I can get behind you on this one too, but dance classes is a very generic term and i wouldnt expect MJ to be there to be honest. But for adults wanting to dance, its certainly the easiest learning curve out there. This is more to do with the limitations of search engines than anything else though.
    bing.com is at least trying to do something new - i typed "dance classes" in, got a list of local cities on the left, selected "dance classes glasgow" and got cerocscotland.com as the fourth link down. Not bad.

.... but dance classes is a very generic term and i wouldnt expect MJ to be there to be honest.
    To my mind that is the place where they have got to be.

But for adults wanting to dance, its certainly the easiest learning curve out there.
    To my mind it should be marketed as the first and easiest fun partner to learn.

This is more to do with the limitations of search engines than anything else though.
    No its not.

When someone types in "dance" rather than "Ballroom" or "Salsa" or whatever it is because they are ignorant of the choices available. They have an open mind. I met three first timers tonight who had never heard of Ceroc or Modern jive before their friends told them and brought them. The general public does not associate "Ceroc" with "dance". The numbers of prospects Ceroc completely misses amazed me.

bing.com is at least trying to do something new - i typed "dance classes" in, got a list of local cities on the left, selected "dance classes glasgow" and got cerocscotland.com as the fourth link down. Not bad.
    I have already held Franck up as a model in this respect to the powers that be. He is usually no 1 in smaller towns. Franck gets his results partly by using Googles free entry of venues on maps. I think he should be doing better elsewhere on his site.

South of the border there are many franchisee sites that perform very poorly with the same test.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

No its not.
    Oh yes it is, and you go on to support this too...

When someone types in "dance" rather than "Ballroom" or "Salsa" or whatever it is because they are ignorant of the choices available.
    Exactly and "dance" will return everything generally to do with dance. Thus a limitation. It is easier to work through directories like yahoo.co.uk for a lot of people due to it giving you options - part of the problem with a search engine is people do not know what to type. The bigger problem is web site owners do not understand what people type and what people expect to see.

They have an open mind. I met three first timers tonight who had never heard of Ceroc or Modern jive before their friends told them and brought them. The general public does not associate "Ceroc" with "dance".
    Agreed - so, even if they get "Ceroc" back in a listing, they will ignore it over something that says "learn to dance" or similar. After typing "Ceroc" into google (a fake test, as they are unlikely to type Ceroc having not heard of it, but there a lots of other keywords that may show up thsese links individually, making my comments below more valid - ie. if you only see Ceroc.coms listing, you may not click) - it seems only Franck has it right...

Quote Originally Posted by google entry for Ceroc Scotland
    Ceroc Scotland: Learn to partner dance classes in Glasgow ...Ceroc Dance classes, weekenders and events in Scotland. Learn to dance to any music, from 50s to modern chart tracks, including WCS, Tango, Salsa and Latin.
    The entry mentions location - Glasgow and Scotland generally. you can learn partner dance to any music and its a broad range of music. Sounds good. I'm a beginner to this, I am in Scotland, so i'll look for a class...click

Compare to this...
    Quote Originally Posted by google entry for Ceroc.com
    Social dance style based on modern jive. Describes the organisation and its objectives with membership information, venue search and local links.
    I wonder what modern jive is ? Oh its an organisation with objectives - intimidating - will they teach me dance, Im a beginner? Hmm (but if they do click, information is pretty coherent and useful to a beginner)

...even worse, this sub link...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc non-members link
    The style of dance taught at a CEROC class is a fusion of other popular dance forms such as Ballroom, Salsa, Latin Jive, Swing, Hip Hop and Tango and can be ...
    A fusion of 6 dance forms ? ...<beginner runs a mile>

South of the border there are many franchisee sites that perform very poorly with the same test.
    I have no doubt that classes could and should their listings in search engines and that their websites should be much clearer about what they offer, especially for beginners. I would also hope, as you suggest, modern jive companies could improve listings with such search terms as "learn to dance", the only jive link is to "www.danceyourselfdizzy.com" which, if you are not way down south, only has a tiny "links" link at the bottom for more relevant local sites.

... "dance" will return everything generally to do with dance. Thus a limitation. It is easier to work through directories like yahoo.co.uk for a lot of people due to it giving you options - part of the problem with a search engine is people do not know what to type.
    They want to know about dance classes in Glasgow, they type dance classes in Glasgow. To me that looks like they do know what to type.

... The bigger problem is web site owners do not understand what people type and what people expect to see...
    We almost agree, I would have said "want to see". e.g
    The dance(s) we teach are these. click on the videos to see examples. For lots more information and video clips of other dances see below.

The visitors can find out all they need to know to decide which dance will suit them and the site sets itself up as a helpful authority. Other, non competitor, sites will link to this helpful information.

... it seems only Franck has it right...
    Nobody has it right. Nobody knows what is right. We are all just doing our best to get by. Nevertheless there has been lots of work done to say this works better than that, and sometimes we have a fair guess at why.

The Forum Archive is a goldmine of content, and attracts a large number of clicks from people looking for other things, but the pages, neither current or archived, do not display in a format that is maximised for attracting new members.

It may be worth while to use something like TrafficGeyser to flood the social networks with links, but there has to be content on the end of those links.

...they will ignore it over something that says "learn to dance" ...
    There are psychologists that claim that every word carries baggage that involves the emotions that are associated with it and goes back to when we first heard the word. Tests have proven that "Learn" is a bad word to use. In my case it goes back to "You did not learn your spellings", "You have to learn your times tables" etc.

IMO Franck would do well to read Chris Cardell's free advice
    your website should not be about you
    Ceroc is the largest and fastest growing Modern Jive organisation in the UK and abroad. It has been established for over 25 years in the UK and 13 years in Scotland
    Glasgow jail has been going far longer, and had more vistors, but I don't want to go there.

I would feed Ceroc's credentials into the traditional sales format - free offer, no risk, act now, don't miss out. "From our long experience ..."

www.alexa.com shows loads of stats about websites with enough traffic to gather them. Very educational.

You can, if you can bear to see it, see the load times, traffic differences etc between the major Ceroc Sites and Cardellmedia.com

They want to know about dance classes in Glasgow, they type dance classes in Glasgow. To me that looks like they do know what to type.

We almost agree, I would have said "want to see". e.g
    The dance(s) we teach are these. click on the videos to see examples. For lots more information and video clips of other dances see below.

The visitors can find out all they need to know to decide which dance will suit them and the site sets itself up as a helpful authority. Other, non competitor, sites will link to this helpful information.

Nobody has it right. Nobody knows what is right. We are all just doing our best to get by. Nevertheless there has been lots of work done to say this works better than that, and sometimes we have a fair guess at why.

The Forum Archive is a goldmine of content, and attracts a large number of clicks from people looking for other things, but the pages, neither current or archived, do not display in a format that is maximised for attracting new members.

It may be worth while to use something like TrafficGeyser to flood the social networks with links, but there has to be content on the end of those links.

There are psychologists that claim that every word carries baggage that involves the emotions that are associated with it and goes back to when we first heard the word. Tests have proven that "Learn" is a bad word to use. In my case it goes back to "You did not learn your spellings", "You have to learn your times tables" etc.

IMO Franck would do well to read Chris Cardell's free advice
    Glasgow jail has been going far longer, and had more vistors, but I don't want to go there.

I would feed Ceroc's credentials into the traditional sales format - free offer, no risk, act now, don't miss out. "From our long experience ..."

www.alexa.com shows loads of stats about websites with enough traffic to gather them. Very educational.

You can, if you can bear to see it, see the load times, traffic differences etc between the major Ceroc Sites and Cardellmedia.com

And all that helps Stewart38 with his desire to "registar a name, set up a site with 'under construction' ie really basic to start" or is it just for some to let the forum know how smart they are??

KISS comes to mind here.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    And all that helps Stewart38 with his desire to "registar a name, set up a site with 'under construction' ie really basic to start" or is it just for some to let the forum know how smart they are??

KISS comes to mind here.
    i already answered Stewart38's question, now I'm just rambling on a sidetracked thread. If you don't want to read it, beggar off to the threads that stay on topic

i already answered Stewart38's question, now I'm just rambling on a sidetracked thread. If you don't want to read it, beggar off to the threads that stay on topic

I tried to but couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post

KISS comes to mind here.
    No, it is to let the forum, and anybody else that happens in, know how smart other people are, and what they might need to know, and don't.

Stewart38 is well on his way.He wanted to know whether he could set up his own site, or needed a website designer to do it for him. I showed him an example of a homepage that could be built with a basic package that attracts more visitors and is probably more profitable than the vast majority of those built by professional web designers. That example has been rubbished. I have told everybody why I believe that example is good, and how I checked my beliefs.

I could have chosen www.perrymarshall.com same formula, a friendly face, what I can do for you, free stuff in exchange for your email, and a whole lot of interesting and relevant free information in his blogs, free talks abd videos. A google search on pay per click or adwords marketing is likely to find nearly 10 million hits, and he will be near the top. As for power selling ...

Knowing how ignorant I am encourages me to try and get smarter. If anybody else wants to be smarter too then I might just have helped them.

Lots more speculation from cynics, testimonials that cannot be verified, and one genuine complaint about an admin error.

Most of the questions were who is this guy, what has he done?

One thing has surfaced, a capital radio documentary about Michael Jackson:

If anybody else wants to be smarter too then I might just have helped them.

I'm already as smart as I'm ever going to get..

.. and by that I mean I can actually out think your average sea slug 7 times out of 10

As a Serial Webmaster (and I use that term in the same way as Serial Murderer) with (at one point) 9 active Webpages (Currently only 3) I'm actually in no position to Comment other than

"If you want to run a successful website don't listen to Beo"

of course, that statement in itself sets up a sort of Logical paradox

Every one of my Websites (with exception perhaps of the WoW Licious Guild Website.. but that's gone now too as I'm not in that guild any more ) has been a monumental disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I'm already as smart as I'm ever going to get..

.. and by that I mean I can actually out think your average sea slug 7 times out of 10 ...
    If you look into it I think you might find sea slugs have been around a lot longer than mankind. There will probably come a day when they don't even remember having the odd tasty bit of mariner for supper.

As a Serial Webmaster (and I use that term in the same way as Serial Murderer) with (at one point) 9 active Webpages (Currently only 3) I'm actually in no position to Comment other than

"If you want to run a successful website don't listen to Beo"

of course, that statement in itself sets up a sort of Logical paradox
    a misprint surely? You mean do listen to Beo saying "Don't ..."

Every one of my Websites (with exception perhaps of the WoW Licious Guild Website.. but that's gone now too as I'm not in that guild any more ) has been a monumental disaster
    Manuel
    I learn, Mr Fawlty, I learn.

Thread Information