Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Michael Jackson

Re: RIP Michael Jackson

I was strolling thru Cardiff town centre when it was v busy and looking at all the diff people it struck me how many probably knew who Micheal Jackson was and had listened to his music - pretty amazing..

As for the abuse allegations - at least he paid some compensation, there are plenty of worse abusers walking around scot free, he;s an easy target to pick

G

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
    I was strolling thru Cardiff town centre when it was v busy and looking at all the diff people it struck me how many probably knew who Micheal Jackson was and had listened to his music - pretty amazing..
    Not really, he sold millions of albums and was a performer from an early age - what did you expect?

As for the abuse allegations - at least he paid some compensation,
    Are you suggesting that child abusers go some way toward making it better if they have some money to pay compensation ? Are financially challenged abusers much worse ? If I come round to your house, punch your daughter squarely in the face but give you a tenner, does it make you say "well i'm glad she got punched?"

there are plenty of worse abusers walking around scot free
    there are ? do the police know ? where are they ?...but the question is...how bad an abuser have you decided he is ?

he's an easy target to pick
    A target for YOU it seems. He was never found guilty of any abuse and where he did pay money to a family accusing him of abuse, it was a quick way to end the media furore and lawsuits. And it did stop the law suits, which suggests as much about the motivation of the accusers as it does about any acceptance of guilt on MJs part. Who knows the truth? You? I certainly have no clue and wouldn't jump to such conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Not really, he sold millions of albums and was a performer from an early age - what did you expect?

Are you suggesting that child abusers go some way toward making it better if they have some money to pay compensation ? Are financially challenged abusers much worse ? If I come round to your house, punch your daughter squarely in the face but give you a tenner, does it make you say "well i'm glad she got punched?"

there are ? do the police know ? where are they ?...but the question is...how bad an abuser have you decided he is ?

A target for YOU it seems. He was never found guilty of any abuse and where he did pay money to a family accusing him of abuse, it was a quick way to end the media furore and lawsuits. And it did stop the law suits, which suggests as much about the motivation of the accusers as it does about any acceptance of guilt on MJs part. Who knows the truth? You? I certainly have no clue and wouldn't jump to such conclusions.
    The allegations made against him were specific and by a a set amount of people - what I am saying is tghat there are worse offenders out there. The fact is 'Dreadful Scathe' is we live in a world, righgtly or wrongly where people can claim damages on crimes committed against them - that is the law & if he did commit a wrong which you rightly say I've no proof of, then at least he paid some compensation by the rules of the land, whereas there are worse abusers who paid zilch & those that get of scot free - okay, if u are going to zero in on one person who may have committed offences why not ordinary people too? It's dappy..- a reflection of celebrity culture.

As for hypothetically mentioning of mine a daughter which I may or may not have that is unecessarily offensive

G

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The allegations made against him were specific and by a a set amount of people - what I am saying is tghat there are worse offenders out there.
    I am sure there are, but as I said "how bad an abuser have you decided he is ?" for you to make that statement that there are worse? Is it purely based on the allegations against him? and have you decided they must be true? Of course if none of them are true, and there was never enough proof to satisfy a court, then saying there is worse abusers is a pointless statement as he has never commited any abuse.

okay, if u are going to zero in on one person who may have committed offences why not ordinary people too? It's dappy..- a reflection of celebrity culture.
    Ordinary people do get this occasionaly, especially if the crime involves children, animals, old people or the vulnerable - an accusation can be enough to ruin their lives. We don't have much sympathy when they are found guilty, but when they are not, it may be too late for them to have a normal life from that point on - the general public, with the help of media reports, can decide for themselves that people are guilty even when they are not.

if he did commit a wrong which you rightly say I've no proof of, then at least he paid some compensation by the rules of the land, whereas there are worse abusers who paid zilch & those that get of scot free -
    As for hypothetically mentioning of mine a daughter which I may or may not have that is unecessarily offensive
    Merely making a point on the ridiculousness of your statement "at least he paid compensation". I do have a daughter, and no, the money would not make up for any physical or mental abuse she may suffer - there is no "at least" - for crimes like this... there should be some form of punishment - if that punishment does not happen but the criminals happen to be rich enough to pay some compensation, that does not merit a positive "at least" - the abuse still happened...and they got away with it. Now THAT's offensive.

I dont like what you seem to be trying to imply and will no longer respond to your childish comments.

G

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I dont like what you seem to be trying to imply and will no longer respond to your childish comments.

G
    I'm not implying anything, just suggesting you haven't thought through your arguments. ho hum.

Not entirely sure how asking a hypothetical question about a daughter, real or unreal is "unnecessarily offensive".

Merely making a point on the ridiculousness of your statement "at least he paid compensation".
    Compensation? I was pretty sure he paid Jordy Chandler money to keep quiet!? Big difference IMHO. As I previously said, no smoke without fire.

Bl**dy H*ll. Give me strength

At 6.45pm tonight he was on FOUR tv channels!!!

BBC2 & Channel 5 were broadcasting the memorial thing at the same time
    ITV News dipped in making it three, and
    BBC1 News was interviewing some dippy fan organising theri own candlit vigil.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post

With my amazing powers of perception, I'm sensing you're not a big fan, Sunnybunny

Just watched the Michael Jackson Memorial service with my children from start to finish. Very moving....especially when Michaels daughter Paris spoke briefly about her father right at the end - absolutely heart breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Just watched the Michael Jackson Memorial service with my children from start to finish. Very moving....especially when Michaels daughter Paris spoke briefly about her father right at the end - absolutely heart breaking.
    Was all this on Sky as I have just turned tele on [only got free box ] and all I can find are tributes.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Was all this on Sky as I have just turned tele on [only got free box ] and all I can find are tributes.
    I watched it on BBC news 24 but it was on Sky news. No doubt it will be on the Ten O'clock news and on You Tube within the hour.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post

Huh?...by not switching the TV on, I missed it all. Easy!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    Not entirely sure how asking a hypothetical question about a daughter, real or unreal is "unnecessarily offensive".
    Me neither.

Compensation? I was pretty sure he paid Jordy Chandler money to keep quiet!? Big difference IMHO. As I previously said, no smoke without fire.
    Well the implication from Graham W, and the media at the time, was that he was guilty of abuse and any money was therefore compensation. This was pre-trial and it was up to Chandlers family and lawyers to "keep quiet", not Michael jackson lawyers - if its a "pay off" you do not need to take it.

"No smoke without fire" is a daft statement - centuries of human riots violations could be excused that way...

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    Huh?...by not switching the TV on, I missed it all. Easy!
    I have been trying like hell not to see any of it, Unfortunately I did see a clip on BBC News....It was nauseating to say the least. What ever happened to dignity. Of the people giving comment, without exception, it was all about themselves. I am going to seeth all day!

"No smoke without fire" is a daft statement
    Not to mention woefully inaccurate. Smoke usually often precedes fire. Smoke (in wood at least) is Water and volatile hydrocarbons vaporizing at a temperature of about 300 degrees F and mixed with microscopic airborne particles of carbon.. if the temperature increases (flash point) then they can ignite and cause a flame.

but chemical pedantry aside.. I think the whole "Smoke without fire" argument is a flawed one. it flies in the face of the legal system that's been established that sets out to prove without reasonable doubt the innocence or guilt of the defendant.

Saying someone is guilty because there's "no smoke without fire" is just as meaningful as saying "if you weight the same as a duck then you're a Witch!"

(a Monty Python reference for those not in the know!)

anyway.. I'll leave you chaps to your "animated" discussion. Personally I believe in the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" MJ wasn't proven Guilty, ergo... ... ...

My friends are sick of me and others going on about it but to be honest he was anabsolute legend, both dancing and his music inspired so many, why im sure many of us dancers have been inspired by Jacko's unique and outstanding moves

the memorial was beautiful although i had to hold back the teas when they sang we are the world, also seeing all the family together, united was quite moving.

Marlon's speech made me trickle a few tears and also Paris saying how much she loved her dad and how he was her best friend, i think thats beautiful and they obviously had a loving father and daughter relationship privatley.

also i'm quite glad they have re-released some of his songs, some i had no idea he sung,or had hardly heard of them.

looking at the lyrics as well in some of his songs i think they're were messages hidden in the song that were about him and his life and his problems.

people can't expect this to go away, i dont think i know one person who hasn't heard of michael jackson, even my four year old cousin knows who he is and has tried singing, Ben. bless him.

When it comes to it, Jacko was respected by many as much as Princess Diana was.

Thats all i have to say. x

Elvis will be the King of Pop long after the hype over the Prince of Pop dies down....

It has been a long time since the 30s and I still want to find more tracks from the Blues / Jazz era....

As long as the music is good it will survive - after all the music world still has the works of Brahms, List and Beethoven etc etc

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee View Post
    it was all about themselves
    I imagine it's quite difficult to recount personal stories about someone who is dead, without talking about yourself.

Some of it was a bit cringeworthy, but overall I just thought it was very touching to hear peoples personal stories about Michael. For me it painted a picture of a real person rather than the weirdo he has been portrayed as.

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee View Post
    I am going to seeth all day!
    Haven't you got any real problems to seeth about?

Blog Entries

I watched it all.

I was mesmorised by it. Not in a mournful way but in a car crash television sort of way.

Whilst it was interesting with some of the speakers, it left me feeling concern for the children.

Why were the children there? Imagine, your dead dad laying in front of you in a coffin for two hours. Dont forget he has not been dead a week.

I felt the little speech the girl did was premediated. Dont ask me why but it did not come across right at all. She looked extremely uncomfortable and i saw the son refusing to speak as they walked off at the end even though Janet was trying to encourage it. It was as if they were trying to establish what a good dad he was.

This was also another opportunity for the black people to remind us that they are brothers and sisters together. I mean, why is it, when something like this happens, they have to harp on about brother this and brother that.

I love MJ;s music, i love everything about him, i am gutted that we wont see the show this summer but i also feel that they would have been better, doing a rememberence show with lots of stars singing all his songs and letting us remember what he was about rather than this showcase of a memorial that has left me thinking..... GET THOSE KIDS OUTTA THERE.

Thread Information