Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Michael Jackson

Re: RIP Michael Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Was that a wembly ?

Milton Keynes Bowl 88 or 89...can't remember exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    ....MJ was the most famous person in the world. More famous than Elvis or any other celeb....

Your too young to remember when Elvis did Aug 16th 1977 but I certainly do

Elvis was a lot more 'famous'
    absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    More people worldwide know the name Michael Jackson than they do the name Elvis.
    Rubbish, you are only thinking of YOUR generation

Elvis was the KING, MJ was the PRINCE of pop

I am not a statisition, but I reckon Elvis tracks are more played than MJ tracks. When did you last dance to an MJ track ? Elvis tracks are played in dance halls all over the world as we speak

Having said that, he was a very talented man, a legend and a genious in the music world

R.I.P. Michael Jackson

PS: Am I the only one getting a little confused by MJ (Michael Jackson) & MJ (modern jive) - have to say Michael Jackson in my head when reading the posts.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    I remember and I disagree.
    No, my celebrity was more famous than your celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Rubbish, you are only thinking of YOUR generation

Elvis was the KING, MJ was the PRINCE of pop
    I think the royal titles are more a play on words than any formal recognition in the hierarchy of greatness there Minnie

At the very least someone obviously considered the two in the same league and the name stuck. That's got to say something about MJ's talent.

I am not a statisition, but I reckon Elvis tracks are more played than MJ tracks. When did you last dance to an MJ track ? Elvis tracks are played in dance halls all over the world as we speak
    I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard an Elvis track being played in any dance hall I've ever been in. MJ on the other hand has been consistently popular.

Having said that, he was a very talented man, a legend and a genious in the music world
    Yes, yes he was

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble
    He was brilliant at his job but he was also challenging when it came to continued support throughout his last few years. I have always said he was innocent and played by the media but 1% of me agrees, there is no smoke without fire.
    There is one thing that bothers me about the attention and praise MJ has been getting from his death: If it wasn't for his musical genius he'd just be a very creepy probable pedophile. I know the allegations were successfully defended, but the cynic in me says that these things often have more to do with the price of the lawyers than the merits of the case.

I feel a pang of loss for the music community, because in that regards he will be sorely missed. I'm not convinced the world is a worse place because of his passing though, and a tiny part of me thinks that it might be better.....

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Elvis tracks are played in dance halls all over the world as we speak
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey
    I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard an Elvis track being played in any dance hall I've ever been in. MJ on the other hand has been consistently popular.
    Sorry, I should have clarified, I go to Rock 'n Roll events too and that is universal.

Michael Jackson tracks are not played very often in the Modern Jive events I have been too, can't remember when I last heard one. However, it is a shame as he has recorded some amazing ones.

Listing (and watching) some of the programs on TV at the moment on his musical life, is absolutely amazing when will they start making the film of his life ??? And who will play him ???

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Listing (and watching) some of the programs on TV at the moment on his musical life, is absolutely amazing
    Yes, it's one of the positives of his tragic death that I could watch back to back programs about him last night and lots and lots of his videos. My children were glued to the telly mesmerised by his music and videos last night...every five minutes saying "Oh, I like this one, I didn't know Michael Jackson did this one", etc.

All the radio stations are playing his music too. Honestly, I'm in indulgent musical heaven at the moment as I don't think Michael has made a record that I don't like, I can't say that about any other artist...even Prince has done some stinkers and I'm he's No 1 fan!

Watching him on telly last night reminded me of how handsome he was before he had any surgery. He actually looked really good in his early twenties too when he's just had the one nose job. Such a terrible shame it all went horribly wrong, in practically all aspects of his life.

Everyone who knew him said he was a fantastic father, so I feel for his children.

By pure coincidence I will be attending a funeral on Wednesday of a 40 year old man called Michael, who was addicted to prescription drugs, who was otherwise fit and well but had a massive heart attack and died...he also leaves three young children. How spooky is that? Probably one reason why I'm so upset regarding MJ as it's rather familiar and close to home.

I was at a BBQ last night and as well as various live music, they played music for folk to dance to - including a medley of Michael Jackson music - all of it good danceable stuff.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

MJ being the most famouse person was an artical I read somewhere a few months ago.

As I said earlier, almost everyone from 90 year olds to 6 years have an MJ song in some form in their collection.

Also if you think about who he was associated with, Nelson Mandela, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Elizabeth Taylor, Marlon Brando, Martin Scorsese, Diana Ross, the Simpsons, Miles Davis, Eddie Van Halen and even Elvis (by way of Marrage).

MJ is made more famouse due to the way the media is over the last few years compared to how it was when Elvis was about. Who has made more headlines on more papers? Who has been beamed in to more TV sets around the world? How has had more stories written on the internet?

On the over hand Elvis did change the course of music and has had more covers of his songs done than any other artist (although alot of his songs were covers anyhow), There are more Elvis impersonators than any other person and people are still interested in his story all these years on. Wether the same will be of Jackson remains to be seen.

I hear more MJ stuff at Jive events than I do Elvis but that is because of how danceable they are. The only Elvis one I ever hear is A Little less conversation.

Personally I think it would depend on what poll you read but the top spot would be between MJ and Elvis

Your too young to remember when Elvis did Aug 16th 1977 but I certainly do

Elvis was a lot more 'famous'
    ..not according to the Independent - MJ just reached more people around the globe,eg - educayed Ethopians not heard of Elvis but knew MJ,

(been playing MJ last few weeks at Cardiff,eg - 'Rock with you', they suit dancing perfectly)

respect

G

He was my favourite dancer.

Now I'm never going to get a dance with him.

Rubbish, you are only thinking of YOUR generation.../snip/........Elvis was the KING, MJ was the PRINCE of pop......
    After watching the many TV progs of Michael's life etc., I have to retract (and eat) my words above...........

Wow !! I had no idea how many people he reached and what he had accomplished ........... I must be living in a bubble

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    He was my favourite dancer.

Now I'm never going to get a dance with him.

Clearly you dance at the wrong venues...he was a frequent visitor to Ceroc Cheshunt and was always first in the queue for cakes and morphine.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
    ..not according to the Independent - MJ just reached more people around the globe,eg - educayed Ethopians not heard of Elvis but knew MJ,

(been playing MJ last few weeks at Cardiff,eg - 'Rock with you', they suit dancing perfectly)

respect

G
    Maybe another thread

But what do we mean by famous ?

Elvis died 32 yrs ago and Im sure if you asked everyone on the planet today more people will have heard of Michael Jackson (MJ). Even my cats are getting use to his songs on the radio.

Also more people will have heard of MJ then Julius Caesar, Abraham Lincoln ,Ghenis Khan or the Big Bang

At the end of the day I believe 'the king' is more famous (Elvis for some)

Do a poll in a 100yrs and see which one comes out on top

Blog Entries

I caught the end of the weekly chart in the car this evening and apparently there were 13 Michael Jackson songs in the Top 40 as a result of internet downloads, with Man in the Mirror at Number 1. They referred to him as the "King of Pop" (controversial!) and said his songs made up half of the current top 100.

Different days from when Elvis died obviously, but I wonder whether we'd have seen a similar effect?

(As an aside, we were dancing the cha cha cha to Billie Jean tonight - would never have thought you could ballroom to MJ! )

...just recalled that during my return to dancing used to take a tape of MJ's greatest hits to the gym & play on loop.

I tried looking at Michael Jackson's videos on Youtube last night - they are, apparently, not available in the UK due to copyright restrictions. I suspect that might not have been the case prior to June 25th. Am I being excessively cynical? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I tried looking at Michael Jackson's videos on Youtube last night - they are, apparently, not available in the UK due to copyright restrictions. I suspect that might not have been the case prior to June 25th. Am I being excessively cynical? Can anyone shed any light on this?
    I don't know for certain, but Prince (or his people) don't allow clips of his performances to be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Clearly you dance at the wrong venues...he was a frequent visitor to Ceroc Cheshunt and was always first in the queue for cakes and morphine.
    God yes, DT.

- He was at The Masked Ball of the East!

He left early before I could get a dance.

Do a poll in a 100yrs and see which one comes out on top
    You do one Stewart, but I doubt if I'll still be around.

PS. You never let on you were footloose at Skeggi. I could have come round for a meal.

Autopsy findings....

PLUNGED to a “severely emaciated” 8st 1oz. It is understood anorexic Jackson had been eating just one meagre meal a day.

Pathologists found his stomach empty aside from partially-dissolved pills he took before the painkiller injection which stopped his heart. Samples were sent for toxicology tests.

LOST virtually all his hair. The pop pin-up was wearing a wig when he died and pathologists said little more than “peach fuzz” covered his scalp.

A scarred section of skin above his left ear was entirely bald — apparently the result of a 1984 accident when his hair caught fire as he filmed an ad for Pepsi.

SUFFERED several broken ribs as frantic rescuers pumped his chest after he collapsed in cardiac arrest. Four injection sites were found above or near to Jacko’s heart.

All appeared to result from attempts to pump adrenaline directly into the organ in a failed bit to restart it.

Three of the injections had penetrated the heart wall — causing damage — but a fourth missed and hit one of the 50-year-old star’s ribs.

The autopsy also found unexplained BRUISING on Jackson’s knees and on the fronts of both shins. And there were CUTS on his back, indicating a recent fall.

The King of Pop’s once handsome face bore a network of plastic surgery scars, while the bridge to his nose had vanished and its right side had partially collapsed.

As inquiries into the tragedy last night focused on the star’s personal physician Dr Conrad Murray, a source close to the Jackson entourage said: “Michael’s family and fans will be horrified when they realise the appalling state he was in.

“He was skin and bone, his hair had fallen out and had been eating nothing but pills when he died. Injection marks all over his body and the disfigurement caused by years of plastic surgery show he’d been in terminal decline for years.

Makes you wonder how he lasted as long as he did! What a state to get in!

His father says it was Foul Play.

Start of another Conspiracy Theory?

Thread Information