Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Michael Jackson

Re: RIP Michael Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    ...nothing compared to all the hideous jokes coming out on facebook...before the poor bastard was even cold!
    I'm still receiving jokes about his death, seriously im not one for joking about anyone's death because it's not funny. But the amount of childlish people who enjoy telling jokes about people's death is shocking. Some people need to grow up!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    I'm not sure why reporting that I am unmoved counts as kicking the body - isn't that a rather hysterical overreaction on your part? I deliberately avoided making any of the m-a-n-y critical things I could have said about him.
    Well I think Stokeblokes suggestion that if you simply give it enough time it would be much more acceptable to "kick the body", speaks of more callousness than being unmoved by the death of someone you didn't know.
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 26th-June-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: gremlins

Commercial Operator

So people generally see this a sad event, which I can understand. But David Carradine's death was funny? (to hark back to an earlier thread)

I have to say, I'm more than a little confused.

I am saddened at the news of MJ's death, and also slightly perturbed at the number of jokes being put on facebook and elsewhere

I can honestly say, without a trace of embarrasment, that MJ was my first idol as a small child growing up watching TV. My first recollection was of trying to imitate MJ on one of his dance videos in front of the TV, and my parents were clapping and laughing at my frisky feet.

The strange thing is, I had a very long period of time since then where I didn't dance at alll, up until I took up MJ just over 2 yrs ago.

But I digress.

For all the awesome songs, music video clips, many a great night out with friends, dancing to classic and remixed MJ music, and of course for being my first idol (!) - Thank You MJ, you're a pioneer and a legendary entertainer. RIP, and may your music live on for others to enjoy in the years to come.
    Last edited by AussieJ; 26th-June-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    So people generally see this a sad event, which I can understand. But David Carradine's death was funny? (to hark back to an earlier thread)

Clearly, you are confused.
    No-one said that David Carradine's death was funny.
    What I found amusing was the circumstances under which his body was found. Still don't understand? Well that's the thing about humour; not everyone finds the same things funny, you just have to accept that (within perceived acceptable behaviour boundaries, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Well that's the thing about humour; not everyone finds the same things funny, you just have to accept that (within perceived acceptable behaviour boundaries, of course).
    But some people know that others don't like those types of jokes but those people are still childish and send them

Everything is funny: it's just a matter of perspective. Humour is it's determined by the beholder, not the event itself. I find it rather easy to laugh at some things that I don't take particularly seriously (and, yes, Michael Jackson is one of those things).

It's much like Diana: even now, a lot of people consider any jokes surrounding her death extremely bad taste. But that number is much smaller than it was five years ago and today you can get away with it (although you will offend some people).

There's probably some quite deep psychology involved, to do with the creation of an image of a person and investing it with ego. The impact of making fun of the image is quickly transferred to belittling the ego. Egos are the most humourless things in existence and don't respond well to being belittled (but often, they need it).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    But some people know that others don't like those types of jokes but those people are still childish and send them
    Whilst I agree with you, we weren't actually talking about the sort of jokes that you're referring to.

Well I'm in two minds over the whole thing. On one hand he was a fantastic entertainer and I still love his music.

But giving Jordy Chandler millions of dollars to keep quiet over allegations of child abuse smacks of guilt. There's no smoke without fire as they say. I lost a lot of respect for him then. So I'm probably on the fence on this more than being "unmoved".

Auto-erotic asphyxiation is always going to attract a certain amount of humour.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Cool Re: RIP Michael Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    People die every day, old chap. Rather a lot of them, I understand. Is the fact that I am unmoved by their deaths 'callous'? If so, then I am callous. I was similarly unmoved - though rather more startled - by the death of Diana. Yes, there are children left without a parent, etc etc, but as I say, this is in the normal course of events.

I'm not sure why reporting that I am unmoved counts as kicking the body - isn't that a rather hysterical overreaction on your part? I deliberately avoided making any of the m-a-n-y critical things I could have said about him.
    That's your view, fair enough. People do die all the time - thank you for pointing that out.

It was more to do with the timing of your words that struck me as being particularly insensitive, uncalled for, unnecessary and just down right mean. Geoff started a "Rest in Peace" thread, and before anyone else has a chance to add their thoughts or condolences, you smear it up with you special brand of vile. Top job Barry, you win a .... ohhhh I don't know ... you win an "I'm really tough" badge or something. Well done you

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The artical is right though, we do link our memories to certain celebs and events in their lives. We have all heard an MJ song that will bring back some kind of memory. Mine include screaming at the Thriller video when I was three, dancing to Smooth Criminal at a primary School disco and playing Billie Jean in an impromptu gig with Keane singer Tom.

MJ was the most famous person in the world. More famous than Elvis or any other celeb. As Gav says, there will be some people that are wayyy over the top with his death but as he also say, that shows that that person had an emotional unbalance anyhow.

I dont think many of us feel true loss as we would have done if he was a friend or relative but most of us do feel sadend by the fact that someone with so much talent for performance and songwriting will never produce any more material.

The other thing with MJ is he appeals to everyone. He started his carear in the late 60's meaning that 90 year olds have prob at some point brought his singles right down to the 30 somethings. Kids nowdays have xbox games like Lips or Singstar for the playstation which feature his songs and bands including Alien ant farn and Fallout Boy have all had recent chart hits with covers of his songs. So thats pretty much everyone from 90 year olds through to my 6 year old son that has a MJ song in their collection one way or another.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    . Mine include screaming at the Thriller video when I was three, .
    Blimey, thats a worry, you was only three when that came out.

I feel so old.

Anyway, as to the jokes being sent. They were immediate and all of them are based on the child molestation allegations.

These will always happen and to be honest, some of them are quite funny, its life, people bring humour in as a defence mechanism, some do it to be horrible, i think people should be allowed to deal with it in whatever way they see fit.

I personally am shocked about his death but then all deaths shock when they are earlier than they should be. He was brilliant at his job but he was also challenging when it came to continued support throughout his last few years. I have always said he was innocent and played by the media but 1% of me agrees, there is no smoke without fire.

Live life in the fast lane and expect some tyre marks right accross ya memory when ya dead.

yeah i just made that up. Yes its ***** but i know what i mean.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Whatever the reason and for all the controversy surrounding him, I'm really sad that he's died. I saw him in concert in 1988 and he was great...a real showman. I didn't have tickets to the up-coming concerts but I was looking forward to seeing how it all went for him. From all the hype it sounds like he was rehearsing hard and looking to give it his best shot. Sad news indeed.
    Was that a wembly ? I went once he cancelled sore throat and then re did it

That was cira 1988 I think

Very sad and for his children

Makes any middle age man think about his lifestlye

An average life expectancy is 76 for a man in uk but of course many die younger. I need to get fitter
    Last edited by DavidY; 26th-June-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Fixing quote

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    MJ was the most famous person in the world. More famous than Elvis or any other celeb.

Your too young to remember when Elvis did Aug 16th 1977 but I certainly do

Elvis was a lot more 'famous'

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Your too young to remember when Elvis did Aug 16th 1977 but I certainly do

Elvis was a lot more 'famous'
    I remember and I disagree.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

More people worldwide know the name Michael Jackson than they do the name Elvis.

At least some people have perspective:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://twitter.com/DaveGorman
    The magnitude of his celebrity doesn't increase the sorrow one feels, only the fascination that accompanies it.

Thread Information