Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teacher Terror!

Re: Teacher Terror!

Hmmm – I’ve been sitting here thinking about all the teachers I’ve danced with in the past – whether it was me asking them or vice versa… and whether i've felt nervous or not. To be honest, I’ve had no fear of dancing with any of them.

I think i've just subconsiously presumed that for someone to become a teacher in the first place, they're going to be a friendly, happy, bubbly - nice person. Certainly not up their own backside as to feel ‘put out’ at having to dance with me.

For them I’m sure the experience will be soon forgotten (), - but for me it may very well be one of the highlights of the evening.. – plus a chance to get some personal feedback on how I can improve.

I love dancing with teachers!

If I see them mingling around on the dance floor, - i'll be straight over asking them to dance...

Re: Teacher Terror!

It has been interesting for me to read the posts on this subject.

When I started both venues had male teachers so there was no way I was going to dance with them. One of the lady demos was rather aloof and tended to dance with her friends only - bit that did not really worry me, there were some lovely taxi dancers who were amazing to dance with. My first lesson was a total disaster and had it not been for a couple who happened to be the taxi dancers for that night, I would never have gone back.

Changes in circumstances and a move to a new area a couple of years later and the two nearest venues both had ladies teaching. By then, I'd had it drummed into my head that "every one asks every one to dance". So there was no "Teacher Terror"...

Second freestyle I remember particularly well (unfortunately and for the wrong reasons). One of said lady teachers was not dancing and nor was I so I asked her to dance and was greeted with a flood abuse, a half hearted apology and 3 minutes I would like to forget. Needless to say, I NEVER dance with this teacher and actually don't attend her classes.

The other lady teacher, a totally different story. She is approachable, friendly and dances with anyone. I love dancing with her (shame I've moved again and it's not so easy to get to her classes).

I guess that what I would like to add is, the teachers' attitudes can have a massive influence on whether people are comfortable approaching them.

This applies to taxi dancers as well. Hey, I've even had my turn at that. I have seen some taxi dancers that the moment their "time is up" - they run to change out of the T-shirt and grab a "good" dancer. I know it is very tempting to that and I have wanted to on occasions too, but I still remember 4 years ago and the kindness shown to me.

We all need to help the beginners and some of the intermediate dancers too. Even if it's for selfish reasons as they become the good dancers we crave to dance with next year and in some cases very good friends too.

Anyway, a few thoughts from me on this subject.

Thread Information