View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for (this week)?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ali Bastian – Brian Fortuna

2 8.00%
  • Lynda Bellingham – Darren Bennett

0 0%
  • Natalie Cassidy – Vincent Simone

0 0%
  • Martina Hingis - Matthew Cutler

0 0%
  • Jade Johnson – Ian Waite

1 4.00%
  • Zoe Lucker – James Jordan

0 0%
  • Laila Rouass - Anton Du Beke

1 4.00%
  • Jo Wood – Brendan Cole

0 0%
  • Joe Calzaghe – Kristina Rihanoff

0 0%
  • Richard Dunwoody – Lilia Kopylova

0 0%
  • Ricky Groves - Erin Boag

2 8.00%
  • Chris Hollins – Ola Jordan

5 20.00%
  • Craig Kelly – Flavia Cacace

0 0%
  • Phil Tufnell - Katya Virshilas

1 4.00%
  • Ricky Whittle – Natalie Low

13 52.00%
  • Rav Wilding – Aliona Vilani

0 0%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing 2009

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    Have to agree to differ on that one...her spoken grammar leaves a lot to be desired, a fact I had not gleaned from her year as a contestant, and offends both of my
    Agree with you there. She's only one step away from that freak Katie Price who said on her show last week "I like to be controversy"

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I've just watched Saturday nights episode...
    Am I the only person who screamed at the telly during the 'professional' Salsa routine? It was diabolical
    No you're not the only one. The timing was off in numerous places and some of it was just badly performed.

EAR !!!???!??!?!?!?
    Have to agree to differ on that one...her spoken grammar leaves a lot to be desired, a fact I had not gleaned from her year as a contestant, and offends both of my ears. Will be interesting to see if her *people* arrange for her to be 'enry 'igginsed...
    It was less about the grammar and more about the tone (Alesha is so much smoother than the hectoring of Arelene). I am not expecting absolutely accurate grammatical correctness from the judges: it's a live entertainment, fun oriented show with a soupçon of erudite comments about dancing thrown in for good measure.

Should Anton Du Sack get the beck???

Errrrm I mean Du Beck get the sack??

The Perfect Woman!

EAR !!!???!??!?!?!?
    Have to agree to differ on that one...her spoken grammar leaves a lot to be desired, a fact I had not gleaned from her year as a contestant, and offends both of my ears. Will be interesting to see if her *people* arrange for her to be 'enry 'igginsed...
    TBH Len's grammar leaves a lot to be desired too at times, but 'tis always spoken with such gravitas that one does not necessarily notice...

I felt she had taken on board the public's comments and had improved - which is exactly what we want to see in SCD is it not !!

Loving Ricky Whittle - I want him as my dance partner... Ali leaves me cold - El fortuna is gorgeous, and she is clearly able, but no (despite rumours) spark....
    Ricky Groves is that man who you always have a laugh with, always enjoy, and go out of your way to find, even if he isn't technically perfect... Dave the Scaffolder comes to mind....

Foxy

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    TBH Len's grammar leaves a lot to be desired too at times, but 'tis always spoken with such gravitas that one does not necessarily notice...

Ali leaves me cold
    I couldn't put my finger on it but that's it, for some reason, she leaves me cold too

Ricky Groves is that man who you always have a laugh with, always enjoy, and go out of your way to find, even if he isn't technically perfect... Dave the Scaffolder comes to mind....
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Here is an in depth article about the state of SCD this year - and in particular Brucies state.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...eir-shine.html

It kind of chimes with my previous post about this being the long slow decline of SCD....

The summary is:

"This year, Forsyth seems tense, his rapport with both the studio audience and his co-host Tess Daly strained. It is impossible for anyone outside the BBC to really know what goes on behind the scenes, but Forsyth’s faltering performance smacks of a big name who is not being properly directed. He is a legend, for sure, but BBC executives must show enough spine to tell him when he’s getting it wrong.

Indeed Strictly itself, having been a jewel in the BBC’s crown, is coming instead to represent those things that are so irritating and self-destructive about the corporation. BBC management is by turns aggressive and contrite, its high-profile decisions flapping in the breeze of public opinion and press criticism. When dealing with its errant stars, its sanctions are hard to reconcile – except to the extent that they are always expedient. Strictly will recover if it gets strong creative leadership with a clear purpose. And so will the BBC."

-------------------------

Having said all that it is still GREAT entertainment!

So, what's happened to the chitchat? Is everyone bored with Strictly already?

I am afraid people are getting fed up with it.Same old same old.
    The obligatory Devil at one end of the table,an over acting latino at the other,a piece of eye candy and an old cockney trying to win house points for being loveable and everyones friend in the middle.Hosted by an ageing hasbeen who should have retired years ago.So apart from the eye candy,nothing has changed.
    Actually I heard a really funny line this evening from CRH when he was discussing the performance of one of the celebs.He criticised him of spending most of the dance 'mincing' around the floor.
    It strikes me that 'mincing' is a pre requisite of the professional male dancers.
    I believe they are doing ballroom jive this week-a 'mincers' paradise.
    Thank god for the XFactor

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Actually I heard a really funny line this evening from CRH when he was discussing the performance of one of the celebs.He criticised him of spending most of the dance 'mincing' around the floor.
    It strikes me that 'mincing' is a pre requisite of the professional male dancers.
    I've never really understood what mincing is. (Except in the context of butchery, of course.) Is it restricted to professional male dancers and others men of indeterminate sexuality or can anyone do it? Can anyone give a definitive explanation? Videos or any other explanatory material would be most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I've never really understood what mincing is. Can anyone give a definitive explanation? Videos or any other explanatory material would be most welcome.
    Have a look at clip.

If you want to skip through to the mincing bits, check out 0.26, 0.54, 1.19, 2.09 and 2.39

Enjoy!

The final at Christmas is still ages away (whatever the people currently fitting the Xmas lights to my local high street might think) and there are still lots of people left who are just democratic fodder.

I'll only get excited if they put in some new dances or when they get down to the 6 or so couples that actually stand a chance. I will of course watch every episode though

Plus - there are 152 posts on SCD - and er, only 30 on X-factor ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    I am afraid people are getting fed up with it.Same old same old.
    The obligatory Devil at one end of the table,an over acting latino at the other,a piece of eye candy and an old cockney trying to win house points for being loveable and everyones friend in the middle.Hosted by an ageing hasbeen who should have retired years ago.So apart from the eye candy,nothing has changed.
    Thank god for the XFactor
    Yeah, I think that is largely the case......plus, last year we had David Bailey - and another guy, posting their analysis of each week in some detail - which generated quite a bit of chat. I have told David Bailey that his analysis is missed here - but I don't think he is inclined to return to doing it.

For me, in the longer term, the format of the show should change. I would like to see non-celebs who are enthusiastic - but with a criteria that they have never done ballroom etc before (difficult to check I know.....). And so it becomes stories about real people and their lives and their transformations - which might take it to another level. Just my humble opinion.....

Currently it is quite predictable, after the dance and even before the judges have scored, you can call out what you think the scores will be - and be pretty accurate. There is of course drama with who will stay/go - but....who cares?
    Last edited by JiveLad; 15th-October-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Plus - there are 152 posts on SCD - and er, only 30 on X-factor ;-)

Hardly a measurable comparison as the Xfactor thread has only been going a few days

For me this year’s show has lost its magic and I can’t put my finger on why. Previous years I could not wait to see the show and watched all the Take Two shows as well and then felt bereft when it all ended. This year I just don’t care even Claudia’s wit can’t get me interested, I just feel I've seen it all and heard it all before

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    For me, in the longer term, the format of the show should change. I would like to see non-celebs who are enthusiastic - but with a criteria that they have never done ballroom etc before (difficult to check I know.....). And so it becomes stories about real people and their lives and their transformations - which might take it to another level. Just my humble opinion.....
    Our local newspaper did a SCD challenge with the stars of one of the local ballroom school being the pro's, and local business people etc being the 'celebs'. We got progress reports in the paper, and then there was a charity evening of the actual dances (they only had to learn one over a relatively short period). Seemed to do quite well, lots of people turned out to watch according to the reports, and made me quite jealous that I didn't get to have a go!

I'm still enjoying it, but I just get so irate that the public are still voting to keep the 2 Jo(e)s in. I do think it just gets dragged out to fit the time slot. There's only so much training/vote for me bits I want to watch.

On the side, as well as the usual SCD Tour next year there's also a Protour with selected dancers from the show (www.strictlycomedancingprotour.com). I have to say that this appeals more to me than the usual tour.
    Last edited by DavidY; 15th-October-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Fixing quote

Does anyone else think that Anton's place on the show as one of the professional dancers took a knock on Saturday night as a result of his awful jive? I know he's the ballroom king, but his latin (to the untrained eye), and especially the jive, appears quite poor. All the professionals have their strengths and weaknesses, but all appear consistently good at all styles. I was embarrassed by Anton's dancing, the way he tried to laugh off the performance to gloss over his own failings and felt he let his partner down, who seemed to lose the plot as Anton flapped around looking like he was struggling with his own timing issues.

However, the evening was redeemed when Bruce told off CRH. TV gold!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Does anyone else think that Anton's place on the show as one of the professional dancers took a knock on Saturday night as a result of his awful jive?
    Yup.

We've always said he's weaker in the Latin, so that's a factor. Also, though, I think the furore over the racist stuff has got to him, so there's a knock to his confidence too. Basically, he's blown it. I always presumed the Beeb were grooming him to take over from Brucie - but I imagine that's now in quite some doubt. I can't imagine he'll be back next year. I just feel sorry for Laila - as she's one of the strongest celeb dancers, but she's not getting a chance to realise her potential.

I was pleasantly surprised to see James & Zoe in the bottom two. I suspect that I'm not the only one who is fed-up with the judges over-praising them. It's not that Zoe is a poor dancer - but (IMO!) she's not as good as Laila, Ali or Jade. I particularly dislike James' choreography. It comes over (to me) as quite selfish and designed to show himself off. However, the judges lap it up?

Actually, I suspect the professionals are quite nervous of keeping their places... maybe that's why James is highlighting himself - and why Brian's putting in complicated choreography for Ali.

Bruno seemed everso grumpy on Saturday, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Yup.

We've always said he's weaker in the Latin, so that's a factor.
    The strange thing is he seems to have plenty of time to get some lessons.

I'm mystified why it is so hard to remove obvious things wrong with his own latin dancing, and make it simply passable.

Well Alesha seems to be dealing with her knockers according to the News of the World this Sunday:

I'm surprised no-one has commented on the latin world champs performance. OMG, that was incredible. Of course I'm sure some on here will say there's no need to do 40 spins (might have been 39, it was a lot to count and they were quick) to start a routine and she doesn't seem to have a spine either looking at some of the wrap positions she got herself into. Bendy (where's that dribble smiley when you need it)

So in time with each other and the music, I can see why they've wiped the floor with everyone this year.

Thread Information