View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for (this week)?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ali Bastian – Brian Fortuna

2 8.00%
  • Lynda Bellingham – Darren Bennett

0 0%
  • Natalie Cassidy – Vincent Simone

0 0%
  • Martina Hingis - Matthew Cutler

0 0%
  • Jade Johnson – Ian Waite

1 4.00%
  • Zoe Lucker – James Jordan

0 0%
  • Laila Rouass - Anton Du Beke

1 4.00%
  • Jo Wood – Brendan Cole

0 0%
  • Joe Calzaghe – Kristina Rihanoff

0 0%
  • Richard Dunwoody – Lilia Kopylova

0 0%
  • Ricky Groves - Erin Boag

2 8.00%
  • Chris Hollins – Ola Jordan

5 20.00%
  • Craig Kelly – Flavia Cacace

0 0%
  • Phil Tufnell - Katya Virshilas

1 4.00%
  • Ricky Whittle – Natalie Low

13 52.00%
  • Rav Wilding – Aliona Vilani

0 0%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing 2009

Blog Entries

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    My personal view:

They know most people have either a PVR, Sky+, On-Demand or a video recorder, - so ratings won't be affected...
    Really? Based on what information/statistics?

(not to mention that a video recorder won't help anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Really? Based on what information/statistics?

(not to mention that a video recorder won't help anyway )
    I don't know for a FACT that this was the reason, nor do I know (or care) what statistics they might have based it on

That's why I said "My personal view" at the beginning of the post

I personally only know a few people who aren't able to record one channel & watch other other, & even fewer people I know dont have freeview (so can watch xfactor which is repeated later). With that in my mind, raising the show's profile this was my assumption, - I can't think of a better reason, ... - publicity seems to be everything these days.

However, according to the papers this morning, both shows' viewing figures are up on last year's.
    I've started watching X Factor again this year after several years break. I got hooked by catching the first week of auditions on youtube. However, if it wasn't because I could record on PVR and skip all the adverts, filler fodder and rubbish "comedy" auditions I wouldn't be watching.

I still watch Strictly "live" and then record X Factor when it's repeated in the early hours of Sunday

Re Ricky Whittle

Definitely - on first glimpse, he looks like he'll be really, really good.
    I'm also interested to see how Ali Bastian will do. It does look like she's had some sort of previous training (drama school?) but there looked to be chemistry between her and Brian. Chris Hollins also did well and seemed to have got over any intimacy issues that the majority of non-actors on Strictly seem to have. Joe was rubbish...

However, I wouldn't necessarily trust my opinion... it's not got off to a very good start!

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    Martina Hingis seems to have a good chance - you'd think for a tennis player she'd be light on her feet and have the competitive attiitude for hard work. And a great teacher as well.
    Last edited by HelenB; 21st-September-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: p.s. I also think Zoe Lucker might do OK but am unsure of her popularity rating

Blog Entries

I don't know for a FACT that this was the reason, nor do I know (or care) what statistics they might have based it on

That's why I said "My personal view" at the beginning of the post
    Calm down Mr. Shouty.
    I was merely why your "personal view" was that they know something and I was wondering if there was any basis for that assumption. Now you've cleared it up I know it was an assumption based on how many people you know that are able to watch and record.

Calm down Mr. Shouty.
    I was merely why your "personal view" was that they know something and I was wondering if there was any basis for that assumption. Now you've cleared it up I know it was an assumption based on how many people you know that are able to watch and record.
    Hmmmmm, well,... you've still not quite got it, - but full credit, you're definitely getting closer

My assumption/guess/only-reason-I-can-think-of was based mainly on the value of publicity.

How easy it is for people to see both shows just supported the guess, even if you can't record, you can probably watch both via the net or repeats on freeview.

Hope this clarifies!

Just building on some of the preceding discussion to my own situation.

I sometimes use the Virgin 'catch-up' facility - so basically you can watch a programme when you want. (Most frequent usage is for 'Mock the Week' - which is on when I am out dancing on Thursday).

So - I expected to be able to use Virgin Catch-up to watch Friday's SCD on Saturday morning. (One advantage with doing this is you can FastForward the inane clapping and Brucies stuff and Tess's words with the competitors - so the you can watch the programme is half the time - ie just watch the dancing and judging).

However, it was not available..........nor was it there on Sunday.

I assume this is a BBC decision - but why??

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Just building on some of the preceding discussion to my own situation.

I sometimes use the Virgin 'catch-up' facility - so basically you can watch a programme when you want. (Most frequent usage is for 'Mock the Week' - which is on when I am out dancing on Thursday).

So - I expected to be able to use Virgin Catch-up to watch Friday's SCD on Saturday morning. (One advantage with doing this is you can FastForward the inane clapping and Brucies stuff and Tess's words with the competitors - so the you can watch the programme is half the time - ie just watch the dancing and judging).

However, it was not available..........nor was it there on Sunday.

I assume this is a BBC decision - but why??
    Try using the A-z option on virgin, sometimes it seems to take a few days to appear on the channels option, but is in the A-Z. Another option is watching out on the BBC website I-Player.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlecat View Post
    Try using the A-z option on virgin, sometimes it seems to take a few days to appear on the channels option, but is in the A-Z. Another option is watching out on the BBC website I-Player.
    Thanks - yes, I discovered that 'trick' a few months back.......which is worth knowing.

Interestingly - X-factor IS on the catch-up......(as well as repeats) - so the logic might be to watch SCD live (if you happen to be in-da-house).

Maybe they did it to maximise the live viewing figures.........

(PS Yes - iPlayer........on the website.......except you don't get a Fast Forward option - so it you either have to try and move the slider very accurately (guess work) - or just watch it all the way thru which is a waste of time....).

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    I'm also interested to see how Ali Bastian will do. It does look like she's had some sort of previous training (drama school?) but there looked to be chemistry between her and Brian. Chris Hollins also did well and seemed to have got over any intimacy issues that the majority of non-actors on Strictly seem to have. Joe was rubbish...

However, I wouldn't necessarily trust my opinion... it's not got off to a very good start!
    Ali Bastian and Chris Hollins were the two standouts for me last week too. Interestingly, they both looked like they had already developed good connection with their dance partners; ones to watch, methinks

I was rather disappointed that Martina Hingis went out so early; there were moments during her routines (especially the ballroom) where she really looked lovely, and I was looking forward to seeing how she might improve. Perhaps an unfortunate consequence of not having a ready-made fanbase to tide her through the early rounds before the audience got to know her?

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post

I was rather disappointed that Martina Hingis went out so early; there were moments during her routines (especially the ballroom) where she really looked lovely, and I was looking forward to seeing how she might improve. Perhaps an unfortunate consequence of not having a ready-made fanbase to tide her through the early rounds before the audience got to know her?
    I thought they were better than the other two in the dance-off (Haven't caught up with the names yet) but it was obvious they were going to get saved because they had more viewer appeal. Hunky bloke + hot new pro dancer are going to make much better viewer magnets than sweet but shy Matthew Cutler and hesitant Martina Hingis.

I don't mind Brucie but if the poor old dear gets the chance to retire I would like to see Julian Clary replace him. I'd be quite happy to see Tess Daly go and be replaced with someone like Angela Rippon or Felicity Kendal. Ditching Arlene in favour of a younger model was outrageous, she added a nice touch of quirkiness to the show, and had a credible dance background. I agree that Alesha was just bland and probably going to be too nice to make good TV. No-one could accuse Arlene of that!

I'm disappointed that there don't seem to be any mature celebs that have a fighting chance of getting near the final this year. I'd like to see a broader range of candidates. Poor Linda Bellingham looked very uncomfortable, I can't see that she'll last long.

Do you think the Beeb are economising on costumes this year? There were several that looked like a sparkly leotard with a few scraps of old tablecloth stitched on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Do you think the Beeb are economising on costumes this year? There were several that looked like a sparkly leotard with a few scraps of old tablecloth stitched on to it.
    Meoowwww!

Well if i'd had to mark Martina Hingis out of two . . . . .
    I'd give her one for sure!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Meoowwww!

er...why would you mark her out of 2 ? why not 10 like normal people ?

Apparantly Ola had a partner this week - I never noticed. She was great though.

Trousers breezes through the forum knocking things over and putting his feet up on the furniture before demanding a cheese and beetroot sandwich and a mango milkshake.

Nice to hear from you, T, you've been missed. Hope you're well.
    Meoowwww!
    What's meow about that? They looked fab in them, it's just the costumes were a bit sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by DS
    er...why would you mark her out of 2 ? why not 10 like normal people ?
    Because then he'd have to say, he'd give her, say 5, or 8, and a priceless opportunity for double entendre would have been lost to the forum forever.

Meoowwww!

Trousers breezes through the forum knocking things over and putting his feet up on the furniture before demanding a cheese and beetroot sandwich and a mango milkshake.

Nice to hear from you, T, you've been missed. Hope you're well.
    What's meow about that? They looked fab in them, it's just the costumes were a bit sketchy.

Because then he'd have to say, he'd give her, say 5, or 8, and a priceless opportunity for double entendre would have been lost to the forum forever.
    Er, I claim copyright over usage of that double entendre in Strictly Come Dancing (originating from 29th September 2008): ***

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...&postcount=187

*** Warning: David Bailey alert!
    Last edited by JiveLad; 23rd-September-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    Ali Bastian and Chris Hollins were the two standouts for me last week too. Interestingly, they both looked like they had already developed good connection with their dance partners; ones to watch, methinks
    Yep, agree about the connection. My two faves so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Er, I claim copyright over usage of that double entendre in Strictly Come Dancing (originating from 29th September 2008): ***
    The old ones are still the best.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I get the double entendre, but the scale of "marks out of" is traditionally 10. So the joke is surely that you are going to ignore the scale and instead "give her 1". A scale of 2 is nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I get the double entendre, but the scale of "marks out of" is traditionally 10. So the joke is surely that you are going to ignore the scale and instead "give her 1". A scale of 2 is nonsensical.
    I am minded to agree with you - which is why in the original (mildly entertaining™) double entendre as per previous post, the marking was out of 10 (as shown by the other judges scoring 7 and 8).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Agreed...Trousers wording of the double entendre should have been something along the lines of "Marks out of ten? I'd give her one"

moving on now please!

So...Joe Calzaghe. Marks out of ten, etc, etc...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Agreed...Trousers wording of the double entendre should have been something along the lines of "Marks out of ten? I'd give her one"

moving on now please!

So...Joe Calzaghe. Marks out of ten, etc, etc...
    I'd give him one.

er...now that just sounds wrong

Thread Information