View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for (this week)?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ali Bastian – Brian Fortuna

2 8.00%
  • Lynda Bellingham – Darren Bennett

0 0%
  • Natalie Cassidy – Vincent Simone

0 0%
  • Martina Hingis - Matthew Cutler

0 0%
  • Jade Johnson – Ian Waite

1 4.00%
  • Zoe Lucker – James Jordan

0 0%
  • Laila Rouass - Anton Du Beke

1 4.00%
  • Jo Wood – Brendan Cole

0 0%
  • Joe Calzaghe – Kristina Rihanoff

0 0%
  • Richard Dunwoody – Lilia Kopylova

0 0%
  • Ricky Groves - Erin Boag

2 8.00%
  • Chris Hollins – Ola Jordan

5 20.00%
  • Craig Kelly – Flavia Cacace

0 0%
  • Phil Tufnell - Katya Virshilas

1 4.00%
  • Ricky Whittle – Natalie Low

13 52.00%
  • Rav Wilding – Aliona Vilani

0 0%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing 2009

Blog Entries

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2009

I guess Brucie comes from the days when an "entertainer" was highly sought after, and if a man could dance, sing, tell bad jokes and compère, he would be guaranteed success.
    Where others of that ilk have died of old age/excesses, moved onto the club scene or just retired, no-one told Brucie; they just keep paying him.

I've just been on the phone to Brucie after his mid-afternoon nap - and I had a chat about the situation.

His main point was "I'd be happy to retire - I just don't know who could take my place - any suggestions?"

So - do you have any?

If you don't - then the assumption is that Bruce is your best bet for now.

Named people only - not a generic: "all round entertainer with a small ego" kind of statement.

Des O'Connor? (4 years younger than Brucie.....!)

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    The article is fab and nearly had me losing my tea over my keyboard.

THE LAME DUCK
    Also known as 'the John Sergeant'. Former cricketer Phil Tufnell is an early contender this year - it is whispered that he moves with the grace of a plate of poorly mashed potatoes.

Former holders of the title include Kate Garraway and Fiona Phillips.

Thanks

Well, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with Joe's performance. It looks like he's having a hard time getting over the "Valleys boys don't dance" macho thing - I know from personal experience how difficult it is to get past that. I really hope he can do better in the Latin tomorrow or he's going home early.

Did anyone else think Alesha was trying too hard? Bruno in particular seemed constantly surprised by her pronouncements and scores. She has a long way to go in convincing people she knows what she's talking about. I just found her a bit irritating, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Did anyone else think Alesha was trying too hard?
    Actually, I didn't think she was trying at all. Maybe I missed it, but did she actually say anything about any of the dancing? Empathising that it's hard being first on, it's tricky in the first week, you have everything to prove etc. is trite.

Summer isn't even over and the series finishes at Xmas. I can see a lot of cannon fodder to get through before things get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    Actually, I didn't think she was trying at all. Maybe I missed it, but did she actually say anything about any of the dancing? Empathising that it's hard being first on, it's tricky in the first week, you have everything to prove etc. is trite.
    Quite true. I meant she was trying too hard in terms of trying to look like a "proper" judge - disagreeing loudly with Bruno's opinions, making her presence felt etc. But in terms of actual judging, I agree - it was quite obvious that she knows little about the actual dancing.

.........Did anyone else think Alesha was trying too hard? Bruno in particular seemed constantly surprised by her pronouncements and scores. She has a long way to go in convincing people she knows what she's talking about. I just found her a bit irritating, to be honest.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I've just been on the phone to Brucie after his mid-afternoon nap - and I had a chat about the situation.

His main point was "I'd be happy to retire - I just don't know who could take my place - any suggestions?"

So - do you have any?

If you don't - then the assumption is that Bruce is your best bet for now.

Named people only - not a generic: "all round entertainer with a small ego" kind of statement.

Des O'Connor? (4 years younger than Brucie.....!)
    A good point Let me think a bit ...

Suggestions:

Anton du Beke
    Terry Wogan
    Ken Bruce
    Felicity Kendal (Vernon Kay as sidekick?)
    John Barrowman
    John Travolta
    Tom Jones
    Ewan McGregor
    Elaine Paige
    Alesha Dixon/Zoe Ball/Gethin Jones/Natasha Kaplinsky/you get the idea

Even if everyone else here thinks every name on that list is a poor suggestion, there are alternatives to Brucie.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Anton du Beke
    Terry Wogan
    Ken Bruce
    Felicity Kendal (Vernon Kay as sidekick?)
    John Barrowman
    John Travolta
    Tom Jones
    Ewan McGregor
    Elaine Paige
    Alesha Dixon/Zoe Ball/Gethin Jones/Natasha Kaplinsky/you get the idea
    All excellent suggestions.

Can I throw Alan Carr in to the suggestions box?

My "also rans" would be

Terry Wogan
    Angus Deayton
    Jimmy Tarbuck
    Liza Tarbuck
    Pip Schofield

All I will say is this: Joe Calzaghe was very lucky he is so popular. On that dancing display, he should have been out this week. And to think the papers were all touting him as favourite! It just goes to show that being quick on your feet in one discipline isn't something that is automatically transferable to another discipline like dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    All excellent suggestions.

Can I throw Alan Carr in to the suggestions box?

My "also rans" would be

Terry Wogan
    Angus Deayton
    Jimmy Tarbuck
    Liza Tarbuck
    Pip Schofield
    I'd never have thought of Alan Carr. That would either be a storming success or more of a camp disaster than a field of pink tents in an earthquake zone. If it did ever happen it would surely become the stuff of legend either way. Just the thought of him sparring with Craig ... Oh please let it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Just the thought of him sparring with Craig ... Oh please let it happen!
    Well, if you believe what the papers say today, Alesha's days are numbered as they had over a thousand complaints about her last night...demanding that she is sacked! She was rubbish though wasn't she? Perhaps Alan Carr could be on the judging panel, now I'd like to see that!

I give Brucie 10 out of 10 for consistency for continually ballsing up his reading of the auto cue. Some things never change.

Well, if you believe what the papers say today, Alesha's days are numbered as they had over a thousand complaints about her last night...demanding that she is sacked! She was rubbish though wasn't she?
    At one point, she told a contestant that her arm styling was "fly-away". Straight after, Craig said he liked the hand shaping. I missed any other dance related comments she may have made; I was enjoying my kakuro.

As for a new presenter, I think I'd prefer a presenter who knew a little bit about dancing. Rememeber Graham Norton in Strictly Dance Fever, where he clearly had no idea what was good or bad and just picked on the judges for cheap laughs.

Anton Du Beke is clearly Bruce's mini-me, but Hole-in-the-wall already stretches his presenting skills.

Another good choice would be Angela Rippon. She presented the original Come Dancing, as well as Top Gear and numerous news programmes. As a previous Chair of English National Ballet, she's even qualified (by BBC standards) to judge. It'd counter all the ageism complaints too.

My third choice would be Nicholas Parsons. Not a dance guru, but veteran of a thousand pantos, sometime narrator of the Rocky Horror Show and he would want all the dances to be done to the Minute Waltz without repetition, deviation or hesitation

Anton du Beke-an egotistical irritant,with his head stuck well up his own ........
    I am not sure who I would have as BF replacement but at least Graham Norton's comedic qualities would be better than Bruce's.
    He might also bring the programme down a bit from its stuffy image.
    But what do I know,I never watch it.Bloody awful programme.
    Give me X Factor any day.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Give me X Factor any day.
    I watched SCD on Friday but my kids prefer X Factor and Saturday evenings are family telly nights in my house so I'm happy to go with whatever they want to watch. Gav prefers SCD but he's out voted so has to watch the freaks on X Factor with the rest of us.

I agree with Simon Cowell though...it's ridiculous that they've put the two most popular TV shows on at the same time on the same day. Can someone explain the logic in doing that to me please?

Did anyone else see Anton nearly drop Erin during the group dance last night? Or was that just us?

I have absolutely no idea why she gave Lynda a 7 for that ballroom performance!?

My friend went to watch Strictly live - she was telling me that Alesha was acting like a right "Diva" - asking people to powder her face every 10 mins, do her hair, again, - extra pillow on her already padded chair etc etc

Brucie was a bit of an impatient moody sod off camera too

All I will say is this: Joe Calzaghe was very lucky he is so popular. On that dancing display, he should have been out this week. And to think the papers were all touting him as favourite! It just goes to show that being quick on your feet in one discipline isn't something that is automatically transferable to another discipline like dancing.
    I too I expected him to have good rhythm and co-ordination...... !

Saying that though, - putting fighting skill completely aside: for me, his movement in the ring, - not particuarly graceful, - compare him with Roy Jones or Naseem Hamed for eg, both fantastic to watch in the ring from their natural flowing movement alone, i'd imagine either of those two would be good, natural dancers.. (saying that, just remembered Naseem did actually dance to and in the ring didn't he )

Watched the first 2 episodes of SCD and to be honest I was really disappointed. Just all felt a bit jaded and uninspiring. I think making them do 2 dances on the first week was a mistake as it meant that neither dance was very polished.

I did not like Alesha as a Judge as I felt that she did not have the expertise to give constructive criticism, so everything that she said was a just a little too bland.

There was a glimpse of hopefulness though in the background Ricky Whittle (Hollyoaks actor) look liked he could move his hips so look forward to seeing him next week.

Blog Entries

I agree with Simon Cowell though...it's ridiculous that they've put the two most popular TV shows on at the same time on the same day. Can someone explain the logic in doing that to me please?

However, according to the papers this morning, both shows' viewing figures are up on last year's.

My personal view:

They know most people have either a PVR, Sky+, On-Demand or a video recorder, - so ratings won't be affected....

...putting both shows on at the same time creates controversy & therefore a topic of conversation talked about on TV chat shows, radio etc, - it all helps to raise the profile/publicity of both shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post

There was a glimpse of hopefulness though in the background Ricky Whittle (Hollyoaks actor) look liked he could move his hips so look forward to seeing him next week.
    Definitely - on first glimpse, he looks like he'll be really, really good.

Thread Information