Thread: A question to Mac users

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A question to Mac users

Has anyone ever downloaded from a site like this http://oemsoftware.ec/index.php

Are they a con?

And

What's the worst that could happen
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: A question to Mac users

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Has anyone ever downloaded from a site like this http://oemsoftware.ec/index.php

Are they a con?

And

What's the worst that could happen
    possibly a con, the site is blocked here so i cant check at all.

the worst that could happen would be viruses, trojans and swine flu. Macs do have viruses too.

What's the worst that could happen?

Well it depends on what background processes they've coded and are running on their server. I mean it is "possible" (but unlikely) that every time you click on a link a little puppy dies .. or you might just get a virus.

it's a quantum thing.. you MIGHT get a virus you MIGHT not.. you MIGHT kill a puppy you MIGHT not. You won't know until you open the box

As it's blocked here too I'd personally go for the "Little Puppy Dies" option

Commercial Operator

For a bit more info, have a read here.

It may or may not be safe - but it's definitely illegal - the whole 'too good to be true' adage definitely applies here.

I don't advocate piracy, but to be honest, if you're really considering going down this route, you may as well download a copy of Bittorrent and get the stuff for free. It surely must be better than paying others to pirate software for you?

Either way, as DS says, precautions are a must. Mac viruses and trojans do exist, and are no more desireable than their PC counterparts...

Blog Entries

Arghh, it all sounds too dodgy for me, I really don't want to risk messing up my Mac and I haven't got a clue how to decipher what's OK and what's not (my laptop recently died that way a painful lesson )

I would like Photoshop CS2 or 3 as I had that on the laptop that died and I miss it
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

On a totally different subject, has anyone else used 'Sponge' downloaded 'legally' from the Apple site?

I was recommended to use it by the tech bloke in the shop... it finds all your duplicates and rubbish etc..

I'm running it in the background now, and I appear to have tons of stuff.

Not sure if i'll have to delete all the stuff individually or if its going to be a one button jobby?

have you looked at

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7

you can try it 30 days for free

not as comprehensice as CS4 but a lot cheaper

Am 22 years a macuser as Riaz will tell you. Now running CS4 Design premium and quark 7.

Wouldn't advocate a third part site unless it is endorsed or at least a reseller. I use www.jigsaw.com - never had a problem with them. You get what you pay for.

I won't compromise on photoshop. Elements is ok if for snaps but Photoshop CS4 is really the business, then of course you're going to need a decent monitor to appreciate it.

Alternatively checkout a programme called fireworks (formerly macromedia and now Adobe). versatile for digital stuff.

Re: utility software. Tech tools is a good start and is shipped with the 3year apple care programme (providing you paid for).

Also checkout www.puremac.com and www.versiontracker.com for updates.

Also checkout a 20min session with a genius at the mac store in regent street. They fixed both my macs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    have you looked at

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7

you can try it 30 days for free

not as comprehensice as CS4 but a lot cheaper
    I had that a long long time ago and progressed up to CS2.. and once you've got used to something, is hard to take a backwards step, as I used to use many of the features on CS2 that you don't get with Elements

Also, I believe you can get a 30day trial of all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Am 22 years a macuser as Riaz will tell you. Now running CS4 Design premium and quark 7.

Wouldn't advocate a third part site unless it is endorsed or at least a reseller. I use www.jigsaw.com - never had a problem with them. You get what you pay for.

I won't compromise on photoshop. Elements is ok if for snaps but Photoshop CS4 is really the business, then of course you're going to need a decent monitor to appreciate it.

Alternatively checkout a programme called fireworks (formerly macromedia and now Adobe). versatile for digital stuff.

Re: utility software. Tech tools is a good start and is shipped with the 3year apple care programme (providing you paid for).

Also checkout www.puremac.com and www.versiontracker.com for updates.

Also checkout a 20min session with a genius at the mac store in regent street. They fixed both my macs.
    Thanks hun.. there's nothing actually wrong with my Mac, touchwood

I just got chatting to the guy in the shop, while I was in there buying iLife and 'Sponge' came into the conversation somehow and he said it was a very good programme for keeping your Mac 'clutter free'

As for the photoshop, I think I'll just have to save up a bit and get the 'real deal. And, I quite like the look of some of the Alien Skin plugins....
    Oh, where does it all end?

As for the photoshop, I think I'll just have to save up a bit and get the 'real deal. And, I quite like the look of some of the Alien Skin plugins....
    Oh, where does it all end?
    It doesn't ... from a CS4 user Then you want Scott Kelby's CS4 book on the best way to use its functionality, and Guy Cowan's instructional DVDs on retouching and monochrome conversations ... and that's not including actions or product templates.

The good news is that once you have PS, if you want to design an album, there is really, really good cross-platform software called Photojunction that is free (in return for you being emailed about every three weeks or so). It's essentially an arm of New Zealand bespoke album manufacturer Queensberry.

Re Sponge - I have been using "Tidy Up!" to clear up duplicates.
    had over 70,000 duplicate photos, with upto 7 copies of each, across 7 different hard drives, after some techical issues.
    Was very good.
    Don't think it cost very much

Know anyone going to the US any time soon? They can buy Photoshop for you much cheaper than in the UK. ($700 vs £600)

Or, if you know anyone who's a student, they can buy it for much, much less... (£150 via amazon uk.)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information