Thread: Microsoft

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Microsoft

Many of you know about the constant anti-trust lawsuits brought against microsoft due to them bundling Internet Explorer with their Operating System, lawsuits which they have complete disdain for. Well there is a call by some microsoft fanboys to boycott Opera as they see Opera as an instigator of the browser antitrust action.

I don't think for a second this will make any negative difference to Opera but I suggest the reverse, download Opera now and make a statement.

It is truly a distorted view of the world that causes people to defend a company as "hard done by" when they crowbar their inferior product onto people by default at the birth of the world wide webs popularity and gain total market dominance as a result. A web browser has no business being an integral part of an operating system, it is a piece of software like any other and it was pure deliberate abuse on microsofts part from the beginning. All that was ever needed was an option to completely remove IE from the OS and for it to be treated like any other add-on - like windows movie maker or solitare.

And to bring up the example of Microsoft Office, which is not bundled with the OS but is still considered by many, wrongly of course, as the "must have" office software for all. It is clear the Microsofts marketing machine works well, but they'll cut moral corners wherever they can and take the easy win.

Re: Microsoft

I had the obligatory Microsoft Internet Exploder mobile on my old Windows Mobile 6.1 Smart-phone. I downloaded the Opera for Windows mobile devices and never looked back as it gave a much more satisfying web experience.

I use Firefox on my home PC (not opera) just out of personal preference. It's what I'm used to so I stick with it.

that said of course, I now use Safari on my iPhone and I have to say (bad pun alert) ... Safari, so good !

.. I'll get my anorak.

Cool Re: Microsoft

The only reason I have Internet Explorer on my machine is for testing my web design's cross compatibility

I'm currently looking for an eeePC, they come in a variety of flavours but I must admit it would need to be an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal for me to even consider one with a Windows OS.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

...the cake is a lie !

also,
    I use both firefox and opera on the windows machines at home (IE is permanently blocked), I've used chrome a few times but have yet to make a habit of it. Opera get used as a bittorrent client a lot.
    I only use firefox on the linux machine.

My favourite browser was iBrowse - which i've not used for quite a few years now admitedly but it was ahead of its time and still out there - i just don't have the OS for it at the mo. Firefox has to be my favourite current browser for its sheer versatility, and it's a necessity for any web related work.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    The only reason I have Internet Explorer on my machine is for testing my web design's cross compatibility

I'm currently looking for an eeePC, they come in a variety of flavours but I must admit it would need to be an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal for me to even consider one with a Windows OS.
    indeed- i rather regret buying an netbook asuseee with a 7 inch screen though, dodgy keyboard and 7" is too small. Wouldn't buy less than a 10" with hindsight.

er...but if you want to buy an asus eee ill sell you one, hey its GREAT

Course, you may have been talking about a tiny desktop rather than a netbook and i'd consider one myself. A small footprint and if its it the same linux flavour OS, it certainly did everything i wanted on the netbook. CPU isnt the best but ATOMs are in everything now...

The Oracle

I have both IE and Opera on my Windows Mobile phone, and I use IE about 95% of the time. I find it better at handling websites designed for mobile phone use, such as www.bbc.co.uk/mobile, that account for most of my mobile surfing.

Opera is better at displaying normal web pages, but I do this very infrequently. I find it frustrating to use anything with a small screen as a 'window' on a larger page.

I had Opera on my previous phone, and it could look at the favourites I had set up in IE. However on my new phone the pre-installed version of Opera (v9.5.2682) doesn't let me do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    ... A web browser has no business being an integral part of an operating system...
    On the contrary it is our loss that it is not. The ability to look at our system as hyperlinked pages on the front-end would make our user experience that much easier and more powerful. The back-end of the system should be a database with SQL search capability, rather that the crude hierarchical file systems we have been stuck with.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

I've been using the Asus Eee PC 901 for the last 6 months now, brought it over from Australia, I am pretty happy with it, the portability of it outweights the few complaints I've encountered.

Having said that, there's more updated models out now, so pick and choose according to your needs.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    On the contrary it is our loss that it is not.
    I see what you are saying but I am talking about what is, not what might be.

The ability to look at our system as hyperlinked pages on the front-end would make our user experience that much easier and more powerful. The back-end of the system should be a database with SQL search capability, rather that the crude hierarchical file systems we have been stuck with.
    All operating systems have search abilities, the fact that it could be a SQL search on a database is merely a matter of efficiency rather than practicality. This is obfuscation, a user needs to find things quickly and they need an easy interface to do so, the back end is not relevant. Ease of use and speed are the only important things to the user, while interoperability, failover and efficient storage are the hidden back end concerns. Lest we forget, it is the user experience that is the primary concern, as that is the only reason for the technology to exist in the first place.

... Lest we forget, it is the user experience that is the primary concern, as that is the only reason for the technology to exist in the first place.

Which is why I am still using IE, and a PC. I am just too lazy to learn to use another OS or browser

Blog Entries

Lest we forget, it is the user experience that is the primary concern, as that is the only reason for the technology to exist in the first place.
    Don't be so naive. The technology exists so that nerdy spakkers and social retards can get a job and be of some use to society, but out of the way where they can't cause any harm.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post

Which is why I am still using IE, and a PC. I am just too lazy to learn to use another OS or browser
    you are missing my point somewhat - IE is a poor browser and a PC is a poor computer (anyone that has ever used an Amiga laughs at the limitations of the modern PC) but my point is that ANY technology regardless of popularity must be as easy as possible to use and do close to everything required of it. Windows is hardly "users nirvana" (I am assuming you use windows from the IE comment ) so your user experience sucks in comparison to other peoples (but you won't know that)...but...there is nothing to compel you to try something else if what you currently have works for you - and really there is no learning involved in another browser or OS unless you are a "tinkerer", in which case that fact that there is more to learn is a good point

... All operating systems have search abilities ...

... it is the user experience that is the primary concern, as that is the only reason for the technology to exist in the first place.
    I have information going back over thirty years loaded onto a 1 tetrabyte drive.

Somewhere on there is Alan's surname. I would like to use it for an Internet search in the hope I could discover where he is now. That is my user experience.

Users can query an Access database or the Internet, based on databases, without knowing that SQL exists.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Users can query an Access database or the Internet, based on databases, without knowing that SQL exists.

exactly

I have information going back over thirty years loaded onto a 1 tetrabyte drive.
    Wow!!!! Those clever people have put disks into a milk-like carton?????

Will wonders ever cease???

Thread Information