Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extraordinary Political Times

Extraordinary Political Times

Local elections ..... European elections ...... Labour loses massively ...... Tories gain a little ...... Labours loses Wales for the first time in their history .... independents and minority parties cash in ..... 2 BNP EuroMPs .... Speaker quits under much pressure - first time for many years.

Background of ..... Unpopular PM ...... Expenses scandals .... Daily and Sunday Telegraphs exposé .... Labour MPs resigning left, right and centre .... public baying like, gladiatorial spectators, for political blood(?) ...

So .... what's going on?

What's precipitated this?

Politically disenfranchised populace?

MPs out of touch with public?

Engineered by some third party?

We (as a society) have brought this on ourselves? (ie ... the world is only a mirror, reflecting how we, ourselves, are)

My question is .... To what extent is the Telegraph responsible (at least to some degree) for what has happened at the elections? Bearing in mind that all expenses were (allegedly) due to be published soon (ie, after the elections) .... is that co-incidence? Or is my conspiratorial paranoia justified?

All questions ... maybe there are no answers .... just more questions ..... maybe food for thought ... maybe not .... maybe it's all a flash in the pan, that we'll all have forgotten about in a couple of months.

Please feel free to comment .... or ignore.

Re: Extraordinary Political Times

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Local elections ..... European elections ...... Labour loses massively ...... Tories gain a little ...... Labours loses Wales for the first time in their history .... independents and minority parties cash in ..... 2 BNP EuroMPs .... Speaker quits under much pressure - first time for many years.

Background of ..... Unpopular PM ...... Expenses scandals .... Daily and Sunday Telegraphs exposé .... Labour MPs resigning left, right and centre .... public baying like, gladiatorial spectators, for political blood(?) ...

So .... what's going on?

We (as a society) have brought this on ourselves? (ie ... the world is only a mirror, reflecting how we, ourselves, are)

My question is .... To what extent is the Telegraph responsible (at least to some degree) for what has happened at the elections? Bearing in mind that all expenses were (allegedly) due to be published soon (ie, after the elections) .... is that co-incidence? Or is my conspiratorial paranoia justified?

All questions ... maybe there are no answers .... just more questions ..... maybe food for thought ... maybe not .... maybe it's all a flash in the pan, that we'll all have forgotten about in a couple of months.

Well, blame it all on Guy Fawkes (or his 2st Century alter ego - Guido Fawkes). His blog http://order-order.com/ is essential reading.

He has hot new just in now that if no-one else stands then James Purnell will put himself up tomorrow...............(needs confirmation - but Guido usually gets it right - just see the sequence of his posts).

The good thing about Guido (Paul Staines) is that he tells it straight - and treats all parties the same..............and has a good dig at the press for being way too soft and patsy (true).

Oh - and he likes the odd pint of Guinness and held rave parties in the good old days....

My question is .... To what extent is the Telegraph responsible (at least to some degree) for what has happened at the elections? Bearing in mind that all expenses were (allegedly) due to be published soon
    The Telegraph have highlighted several cases where the MPs had applied to have the juicy details in their expenses to be redacted, e.g. Ian Gibson.

They certainly had some choice over when they published, but after paying mega£££s they weren't going to wait 'til the stuff got published in the autumn. In my opinion the Tories have ended up looking silliest, with there helipads and duck houses.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Well, blame it all on Guy Fawkes (or his 2st Century alter ego - Guido Fawkes).
    The original also went by the name Guido sometimes.
    Last edited by FirstMove; 8th-June-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Toyps

So .... what's going on?

I think that with all the current problems in the UK at the moment that the improvements made by this government is being overshadowed by the recession, which is not the fault of the government but a worldwide problem and the expense claims whist extremely distasteful are pretty cross party. I think a lot of the negativity is nicely fuelled by the mainly right wing press.

I think though if you look at the improvements in what was a very run down public services when the Labour Party took over they have achieved a better society IMHO. As an employee of the NHS I can see the benefits of the investments by this government and I think the same could be said for education.

I also think the war in Iraq has had a large role to play in Labours demise but probably not as large as any decrease in the average person’s standard of living

As for extremist parties it is normal for them to prosper when times are harder as people often look for a scapegoat and the extreme far right policies can appeal to some people in these circumstances

I hope Brown manages to hang on.

His heart is in the right place IMO.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I hope Brown manages to hang on.

His heart is in the right place IMO.
    It's where his brain is that concerns us...

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    It's where his brain is that concerns us...
    He may be a Scot, but he has a first class brain.

Commercial Operator

He may be a Scot, but he has a first class brain.
    He may do so.. but he keeps it in his 3rd class ar$e.

Well now pips it looks like the world will end on the 29th December 2012, according to Nostradamus and the Mayan calendar.

Should be a fun Christmas, personally I am buying bugger all pressies just in case it is true.

A well prepared and well armed DTS XXX XXX

The recession may be global but the government could have reduced its impact
    30 years ago I set up a small business; it has kept me and a few others gainfully employed.
    Quite a few of my friends did the same, with equal or grater success

Today, under current burden of bureaucracy, I could not set up the same business, nor do I think, could any of my friends

The current recession is not going to end as a result of, changing interest rates, printing or loaning more money. We need to rid this country of the bureaucracy that is killing it

The Torygraph expenses fiasco, was contrived to force a general election and I am very please it has failed

Brown don’t understand the role of a leader but one has to congratulate him on hanging on in there

Any fan of Yes Minister will realize Sir Humphrey has retired and end of world in nigh

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Any fan of Yes Minister will realize Sir Humphrey has retired and end of world in nigh
    that should read

Any fan of Yes Minister will realize, Sir Humphrey has retired and the end of the world is nigh

I love Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister... but it really is a sad comment on politicians (and governments in general) and their ability to learn from the past, that issues that were highlighted by the sit coms (which are older than I am [30+]) are still scarily to the point and horribly accurate.

I know that Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister are mandatory viewing for politicians, but they really aught to take notes - and actually do something about the realistically achievable ones... ?Please?

WT

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    He may do so.. but he keeps it in his 3rd class ar$e.
    Anyway the heart is more important. These politicians who've been caught with sticky fingers, theiving from the tax payers are heartless *unts. Good riddance.

When you think of all the children living in poverty in the UK it's appaulling behaviour from the supposedly trustworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    The recession may be global but the government could have reduced its impact
    30 years ago I set up a small business; it has kept me and a few others gainfully employed.
    Quite a few of my friends did the same, with equal or grater success

Today, under current burden of bureaucracy, I could not set up the same business, nor do I think, could any of my friends
    That's because you have to be fair with employees today. There is now the minimum wage. More health and safety. Maternity/paternity leave.

That's because you have to be fair with employees today. There is now the minimum wage. More health and safety. Maternity/paternity leave.
    BUT, in order to benefit from the minimum wage. maternity/paternity leave and to be protected by health and safety legislation, you need to be employed in the first place

In all honestly, the hundreds of permits, permissions, licences, risk assessments, forms filled in triplicate , log books etc. that required me to employ someone, virtually full time, to keep everything up to date, made my operation any safer or those who worked me better off
    Last edited by philsmove; 10th-June-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Anyway the heart is more important.
    It is ? When did he show heart ? I thought recent events were purely reactionary decisions to a media outrage ?

Yes, I did hear that philsmove beat his employees with sticks, paid them peanuts and made them drink poison from a coffee machine parked on the edge of a precipice. Harsh but fair in those days

He was kinder to new parents, they just got sacked.

Astro (and everyone else), please pick up a copy of Private Eye. Brown is as corrupt to big business and party politics as anyone. Politics is a career, not a calling or duty.
    Now that the Conservatives are likely to be the next government - I kinda feel like its deciding which loaded gun you want to shoot you...

Relating to the original post, I do believe we have brought all this upon ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ..... Politics is a career, not a calling or duty.
    It is indeed, it is a career, but while the Prime Minister is paid well above the average wage (£24,000.)

His salary, (£187,000) is poor in comparison to that of the average top UK MD (£750,000)

So lets imagine you have a budget of £750,000 a year, who are you going to employ as PM

Now that the Conservatives are likely to be the next government - I.
    May be, but I think a general election is a year away, as the lady said "a week is long time in politics"

Anyway the heart is more important. ....
    Disagree there. While I'm all for having more kindness in the world, I would rather have a very clever and visionary PM than someone who people call 'sweet' or 'lovely' and who says 'whoops, sorry' a lot. Apart from anything else, it would be nice to have a leader with independent thought, as opposed to being locked into the US world view.

Now that the Conservatives are likely to be the next government - I kinda feel like its deciding which loaded gun you want to shoot you...
    I am not delusional; I agree there will probably be a Conservative government at the next election but I personally do not think that this will be best for the country, especially public services

Sir Alan Sugar for PM to get us through these "difficult times"

Thread Information