Thread: Are there any MJ dances in the Hebrides?

Are there any MJ dances in the Hebrides?

I will be visiting the Outer Hebrides from 21 June to 2nd July. Are there any dance events / venues there? Not that I will be desperate to dance, a couple of weeks off to enjoy simpler pastimes (whisky tasting springs to mind) could fill the time. But - are there any MJ venues out there? Or better still, lindy?

Re: Are there any MJ dances in the Hebrides?

Sadly not! The closest venue is Inverness, and depending on which islands you're visiting that's at least one ferry crossing away, and a fair drive too!

I'll try and look out my links for stuff over there and PM you. Where are you going - there's a lot of islands out there!

You'll have a fantastic time, and it'll barely get dark out there - it's awesome at this time of year!

Don't forget your midge repellent though - Avon Skin so Soft, the green one - I think it used to be Forest Fresh or something - is the best.

Have a wonderful time!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

lindy hop in stornoway ?

Just got back from a weeks holiday there and there's definately not any MJ venues! There was a ceilidh on the Wednesday in Tarbert (Harris) but we didn't go and it wasn't advertised as all dancing

It was beautiful, we had great weather - favourite beach on Harris for me was a tie between Luskentyre & the ones at Hushinish. And a trip to Berneray is also recommended - another stunning beach (and where my OH finally asked....)

If you fancy a boat trip, we used Hamish at Scenic Cruises at Flodabay, Harris. He tailors the trip to you - we saw the cutest puffins!

And as for Nessiemonster's tip about Avon Skin so Soft - it's the green bottled replenishing dry oil body spray (soft&fresh)

Have a fab time

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    a trip to Berneray is also recommended - another stunning beach (and where my OH finally asked....)
    Congratulations (judging by your status, I'm guessing you said "yes" )
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

~snip~... where my OH finally asked.......~snip~
    Congratulations!

There was a ceilidh on the Wednesday in Tarbert (Harris) but we didn't go and it wasn't advertised as all dancing

It was beautiful, we had great weather - favourite beach on Harris for me was a tie between Luskentyre & the ones at Hushinish. And a trip to Berneray is also recommended - another stunning beach (and where my OH finally asked....)
    Ceilidhs in the Western Isles are, to the best of my knowledge, generally traditional ceilidhs, unlike those I've been to anywhere else in Scotland, or the rest of the UK. They are a mixture of dancing (no caller, you know the dances, or you watch and then join in), poetry and song, usually in Gaelic. (I believe the English translation of the Gaelic word 'ceilidh' is 'gathering'.) A worthwhile experience, but not MJ!!

I've not spent much time on the Harris beaches, though have admired them from afar. The Berneray beach I can vouch for though - 3 miles of golden sand. There's a walk around the island that's worth doing if you're in to that kind of thing. All the west coast beaches out there are pretty stunning. And generally fairly free of people!

www.visithebrides.com for more info, if you've not already found that!

And many congrats to you HelenB!! And thanks for clarifying about the midge repellent! Glad you had a great holiday out there - forever memorable now, I'm sure!

And a trip to Berneray is also recommended - another stunning beach (and where my OH finally asked....)
    Finally asked.....

Is this beach better than the last one?

How do you get rid of these pesky midges?

Is it about time I took up MJ?

I wonder where the nearest toilet is?

.....but assuming the question actually asked was a little more significant

CONGRATUALTIONS!

Thanks all for the responses - much as I expected (ref dancing) but the recommendations for activities are welcomed. But if you don't ask ...

I used to visit the Hebrides quite often as OC of one of HM ships (1994-97) doing resupply to St Kilda or military exercises around western Scotland & the inner / outer Hebrides. I loved it but never really got much time ashore. Hence the holiday now with MOH to have a good look around and enjoy the stunning islands I used to pass by. We'll take in whatever entertainment is around - I learnt to do "Scottish Cross-Country Dancing" many years ago but have forgotten it now.

It was only after friend pointed out that I would be away from dancing for over two weeks that I thought - gulp - what will I do? It may drive me to drink. Whisky for starters I suspect.

When I asked the original question (tongue deeply in cheek) I was covering all options, but expecting a big NO - meaning my wife will enjoy my company without feeling guilty about dragging me away from dance and I will enjoy a holiday with her without feeling guilty about not dancing. I'm sure she's looking forward to seeing me 7/7 nights per week for a change. Inverness, hmmmm been there once, not worth leaving the Hebrides for a night out.
    Last edited by saxon-ack; 10th-June-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Congratulations (judging by your status, I'm guessing you said "yes" )
    I used to SQEEEeeeeze my ship through the Sound of Harris, between Berneray & Pabbay before setting course for St Kilda. Beautiful beaches there, I might take MOH there too and ask again. She can only say yes (again).

Quote Originally Posted by saxon-ack View Post
    Inverness, hmmmm been there once, not worth leaving the Hebrides for a night out.
    Couldn't agree more!

Have a wonderful time - wishing you sunshine, and just enough of a breeze...

Registered User The Passion Harem's Avatar

Congratulations HelenB

Hebrides were much as expected and quite close to as advised in responses to the original question. BEAUTIFUL weather, fantastic beaches & views & scenery. Berneray (which I've sailed past) was as wonderful as forecast. All in all, peaceful, wonderful food, nice people, quiet (especially on Sunday!!!). Read books, chilled, spent time with MOH & "the dog" investigating beaches & wilderness. Didn't dance for over two weeks but did not really notice or miss it until I got to the M6 southbound. Danced Sat & Sunday since returning Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon-ack View Post
    I learnt to do "Scottish Cross-Country Dancing" many years ago but have forgotten it now.
    Is that where you chase your partner across the fields, shinny up a hill together and roll down wrapped in each others arms, landing in a burn at the bottom? Sounds great!

You can brush up your Scottish Country Dancing skills HERE but I suspect at any ceilidh you attend the dancing will be a bit more "rustic"!

Glad you had a great time.
    Last edited by John S; 7th-July-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Didn't read to end of thread before replying - so shoot me!

Glad you had a great time.

I'm off out there myself next week for the Hebridean Celtic Festival. Should be great! And as one of my MJ friends will also be out there, I may even manage to get in some dancing...

Thread Information