View Poll Results: Are you going to Ceroc Splash, Southport, 16-18 October 2009?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - definitely!

62 62.00%
  • No - sadly not.

18 18.00%
  • Maybe...

8 8.00%
  • I WANT to go, I just have to work out HOW!

14 14.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Splash, Southport, 16-18 October 2009

Re: Ceroc Splash, Southport, 16-18 October 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    I appreciate the sentiment of the discount, but I really have to question whether it's worth all the hassle. It sounds to me like Ceroc are covering up for administrative inadequacies by making it difficult for the paying customer. I'm not convinced this has been very well thought through...

At the very least, individuals should be given a temporary wristband, valid only for the Friday evening, and a chalet key when they arrive. Once the whole group is together, these could be exchanged for permanent wristbands and the discount applied. To keep things simple, the discount should only be collecetd by the named, group leader.
    So in a nutshell you would like Ceroc to double their administration and double the cost of wristbands AND increase the likelyhood of errors AND give people a wopping discount! Good grief

Mike just wanted to help out in a tough financial climate by offering people the opportunity of a decent discount. It's unfortunate that measures then had to be put in place to stop people getting around the rules because Ceroc know from bitter experience that there are always a number of people who will do whatever they can manipulate things for their own good to the detriment of other people.

Shame on him..

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think what the organisers are quite clearly (and fairly IMO) saying is, " its completely up to you to organise and present yourselves as a complete group at the time of checking in and 'if and only if, you can fulfil all these criteria, we'll reward you by giving you 'cashback' "

So, IMO its best to book assuming your going to be paying the full price and 'if' everything happens to come together on the day, you 'could' end up with a nice little bonus but make sure you DON'T rely on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    I like your way of thinking Lory, nice and positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    I don't really get the reason behind everyone having to check in at the same time! Surely the names can be checked off as each person arrives and then once all the group members are there the discount can be issued. If they are worried about people collecting more than one wrist band etc, why not just ask to see drivers license or some other form of photo id to make sure the person is who they say they are!

Seems to me like that would be the best way.
    Also, what if you booked in equal numbers but were having a girls & a boys chalet? Would it also apply? I guess you would book 2 chalets with an even split and then just divvy up the rooms later, but still doesn't work round some people being able to arrive on Fri, others on Sat etc unless you all pile in a minibus together.

Blog Entries

I must admit, it could be organised for all to meet up but trouble is, i'd wanna be in the bar waiting and the discount would get spent. <Hic>

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    So in a nutshell you would like Ceroc to double their administration and double the cost of wristbands AND increase the likelyhood of errors AND give people a wopping discount! Good grief

Mike just wanted to help out in a tough financial climate by offering people the opportunity of a decent discount. It's unfortunate that measures then had to be put in place to stop people getting around the rules because Ceroc know from bitter experience that there are always a number of people who will do whatever they can manipulate things for their own good to the detriment of other people.

Shame on him..

Come on, Rocky. How naïve do you think we are!? It's not about trying to help people out in a tough financial climate. It's about marketing, plain and simple. The fact is that Southport is not selling as well as expected, partly because of bad feeling over the Jive Addiction affair and partly because of saturation in the weekender market, so something has to be done to get people through the door. I think it's a great idea in principle, because I would like Southport to be successful and I would also like a 33% discount I just think it could be managed better, and it's clear that I'm not the only person to think so. Isn't customer feedback what makes a business better?

Handing out paper wristbands to an average of four individuals sharing a chalet in lieu of silicon wristbands and then replacing these with silicon wristbands when the whole group is together would not double administration. It may add around a 30% overhead, which, I'll admit, is significant. However, as the gender discount will only be available to around a third of participants, it will really only add around a 10-15% overhead to the check in system and could easily be absorbed by existing staff, especially if it was only available on the Friday evening and all attendees had to have a silicone wristband to get into the event on Saturday. I've checked online and I can buy 1,000 paper wristbands for about £25. Silicone wristbands are almost 10 times that much, so it certainly won't double costs. I'm assuming most of the staff performing the check in task can count to 6, so even they should be able to cope with the busiest chalets and shouldn't make too many errors.

Rocky, this is contrustive feedback on something that would make life easier for customers attending the event. Customers you want repeat business from. Rather than simply dismissing it, I'd suggest you consider it and look at ways to improve the customer experience.

..stuff...
    All weekenders are suffering and it's a tough financial climate for everyone, so anything that helps people to afford some leisure time away with their friends should be welcomed and not just criticized because it doesn't suit you personally. And yes it benefits Ceroc if more people attend their events, but more people attending also ensures everyone overall has a better time.

It's a heavily discounted rate! - do you want a foot massage as well whilst you're waiting for your companions to turn up??

To offer the discount it has to work within the systems that currently operate and it really is as simple as that.

Let me ask you: if you were queuing up outside a sale to buy things at a heavily discounted rate would you expect the store to supply you with a chair, a TV and a mug of hot tea with muffins too??

For whatever reason FM IMO you seem to be in a bit of a misreable mood at the moment - don't take it out on everyone else...

...so anything that helps people to afford some leisure time away with their friends should be welcomed and not just criticized because it doesn't suit you personally.
    Rocky, if you take your blinkers off, you'll see that I'm not criticising the offer, just the way it is being administered. It will make it inconvenient for the majority of people to take advantage of. You simply need to come up with a way to allow people to enjoy the event while they wait on other members of their party arriving. It's not rocket science.

And yes it benefits Ceroc if more people attend their events, but more people attending also ensures everyone overall has a better time.
    I'm fairly sure that's what I said…

Quote Originally Posted by What FM Said
    I think it's a great idea in principle, because I would like Southport to be successful
    Yep, pretty much!

To offer the discount it has to work within the systems that currently operate and it really is as simple as that.
    …but doesn't the system that currently operates allow people to check in independently of the other people in their party? Sounds to me like the offer is not going to fit in with that system!

It's a heavily discounted rate! - do you want a foot massage as well whilst you're waiting for your companions to turn up??
    Eh, isn't that already available? £20, bookable at reception…

Let me ask you: if you were queuing up outside a sale to buy things at a heavily discounted rate would you expect the store to supply you with a chair, a TV and a mug of hot tea with muffins too??
    Well, if they expected me to sit outside for a few hours whilst waiting on my friends to come and buy things before giving me the discount, then yes, tea and muffins would be lovely!

For whatever reason FM IMO you seem to be in a bit of a misreable mood at the moment - don't take it out on everyone else...
    Not miserable, Rocky, just realistic. I'm offering ways to improve a flawed system. If you can't see that, then don't waste your time reading my comments

Not miserable, Rocky, just realistic. I'm offering ways to improve a flawed system. If you can't see that, then don't waste your time reading my comments
    Why I'm relating to you in the way that I am Mr Monkey is because you start with a viewpoint that Ceroc don't know what they are doing..

It sounds to me like Ceroc are covering up for administrative inadequacies by making it difficult for the paying customer. I'm not convinced this has been very well thought through...
    When in actual fact most people would agree that the check in system at Ceroc weekenders is generally the quickest and most effecient system of any weekender on the market.

As such more than a dozen people who have first hand experience of administering this system at all levels from booking to delivery and who have actually seen how it works at the events, have been involved in helping to decide how best to implement the discount.

So to be clear, these are people who know the pitfalls and who have experienced the problems first hand of dealing with multiple check ins.

Is it perfect? Probably not, but you have to bear in mind that as Ceroc are offering a significant discount it has to work for them first and foremost - and most people would accept that there are generally conditions relating to discounts otherwise what are you getting the discount for?? All the things you are suggesting are great but that's what pretty much happens under normal check in - so If you want that pay full price and turn up whenever you want!

This is a starting point and I have no doubt it will be improved upon in the future and yes they will listen to customer feedback - so to infer that Ceroc have 'inadequate administration' and 'that it hasn't been well thought through' is frankly a bit insulting..

As Lory said:

I think what the organisers are quite clearly (and fairly IMO) saying is, " its completely up to you to organise and present yourselves as a complete group at the time of checking in and 'if and only if, you can fulfil all these criteria, we'll reward you by giving you 'cashback' "

So, IMO its best to book assuming your going to be paying the full price and 'if' everything happens to come together on the day, you 'could' end up with a nice little bonus but make sure you DON'T rely on it

Except for couples who travel together anyway, for whom it is a fairly certain discount.

So primarily the measure simply encourages couples / gives discounts for couples attending. A good thing ?

The possible benefits involved probably won't on average significantly outweigh the costs elsewhere.

Hurt feelings and stuff...
    Rocky, I apologise unreservedly if I hurt your feelings. I had no idea you were such a delicate little flower

I'm sure the check in process will be absolutely perfect and anyone who wants the discount will be able to negotiate any problems on the day, ensure that they turn up together and not have to wait to get into the venue. We are all very lucky to be part of the well oiled machine that is Ceroc

I look forward to hearing about future "improvements"...
    Last edited by Filthy Monkey; 10th-June-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Rocky, I apologise unreservedly if I hurt your feelings. I had no idea you were such a delicate little flower

I'm sure the check in process will be absolutely perfect and anyone who wants the discount will be able to negotiate any problems on the day, ensure that they turn up together and not have to wait to get into the venue. We are all very lucky to be part of the well oiled machine that is Ceroc

I look forward to hearing about future "improvements"...
    Your apology and sincerity have been duly noted.... Thank you!

the well oiled machine that is Ceroc
    Lube by the barrel at Ceroc HQ no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    ....if only they could get their floors polished.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Is Spicey involved?

He's just being a man ... they don't need to worry about getting with the programme!
    I had a women who turned up long before I could on friday ie 3pm me 10pm(gender balance events). we book together (same form) but different rooms etc

Perhaps as organsiers knew me /her then they would have had words had I not turned up later.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Except for couples who travel together anyway, for whom it is a fairly certain discount.

So primarily the measure simply encourages couples / gives discounts for couples attending. A good thing ?
    Presumably such couples would have been quite likely to come anyway...

I was imagining (from the marketing) that the discount was aimed at encouraging more people to book as a pair (or foursome or sixsome) that wouldn't normally travel together.

I also don't really understand the issue here: if you book now you have 5 months to work out the logistics of getting people together. In this modern age of email and mobile phones is that really that difficult when you are being offered a third off the cost of your w/e??
    But the M6 on a Friday night is an unpredictable and unknown quantity, so it's hard to plan for every eventuality it might throw at you, and mobiles barely work at Southport (on some networks, anyway).

From my point of view, if I arrived first, I'd be reasonably happy as long as I could dance and get a drink while waiting for the other person. Whether it's temporary wristbands or some other route, I don't really mind, but it would be good if some way could be found where people didn't have to just sit in their cars watching everyone else dancing.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Whether it's temporary wristbands or some other route, I don't really mind, but it would be good if some way could be found where people didn't have to just sit in their cars watching everyone else dancing.
    I'm sure there will.

Come on, Rocky. How naïve do you think we are!? It's not about trying to help people out in a tough financial climate. It's about marketing, plain and simple. The fact is that Southport is not selling as well as expected, partly because of bad feeling over the Jive Addiction affair and partly because of saturation in the weekender market, so something has to be done to get people through the door. I think it's a great idea in principle, because I would like Southport to be successful and I would also like a 33% discount I just think it could be managed better, and it's clear that I'm not the only person to think so. Isn't customer feedback what makes a business better?
    For me , male and female it will cost

Budget Apartment: 2 sharing £58.75* per person

For Skegness it cost me £175 per person ( I dont get earwigs or woodlice for this price but do get 400 lights outside my room)

Didn't some one say Ceroc will try and force competitors out of the market

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    but it would be good if some way could be found where people didn't have to just sit in their cars watching everyone else dancing.
    Im sure ceroc have thought of pricing this. ie pay £25 for weekend if you sit in your car and watch people dance all weekend

To be fair I can only think of about 25 car parking places where you could sit in your car and get a clear view and 'watch people dance' .

Maybe £20 if you get a obstructive view. £15 if you find the dancing offensive to watch ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    For me , male and female it will cost

Budget Apartment: 2 sharing £58.75* per person

For Skegness it cost me £175 per person ( I dont get earwigs or woodlice for this price but do get 400 lights outside my room)

Didn't some one say Ceroc will try and force competitors out of the market
    Ceroc seem to have already covered that ground. I suspect any further action/motivation in that regard is marginal, but an interesting thought.

A discount not really useful for most people, but which does allows headline comparisons such as yours, might be considered to be aimed at competitors.

You've probably got about the worst case.

Because Skegness doesn't appear to have 1 bedroom apartments, and Ceroc are effectively offering couples and a few others, a big discount for the first 100 balanced bookings (though as DavidY says it isn't being marketed to couples).

Without sharing with another couple you could get a standard 2 bedroom apartment for £150. With £20 off that if you purchase at Skegness that is £130.00.

Skegness also has a much better date (could be a particularly significant consideration this year), being before the middle of September rather than after the middle of October.
    Last edited by frodo; 15th-June-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Cool Re: Ceroc Splash, Southport, 16-18 October 2009

I read this offer in the program at Southport. It seemed fair enough to me. Ceroc are basically saying "Here, you scratch our backs a little by gender balancing yourselves (although we do have to put in a couple of conditions to stop this being abused), and we'll scratch your backs with a HUGE discount."

Obviously it makes no sense for Ceroc to create extra work for themselves. So the rules are there in black and white for everyone to see. I guess the question you need to ask yourselves is; is a little personal organisational effort worth the whopping discount being offered?

The response here seems sadly typical of this forum - a mass b!tch-fest at every available opportunity. In fact let's all b!tch about being given 33% of our cash back when we book onto what is already one of the cheaper weekenders available in the UK

Thread Information