Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sat Nav again

Re: Sat Nav again

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    and if I miss the tuning, unlike the Issy Wissy, it never shouts but calmly tells me to "turn around when possible"

If I over ride it , it quickly works out the alternative route
    issy wissy????

oh and at least i dont get mrs g saying turn left there pointing slightly backwards and to the right as we go past the turning that i am meant to be taking

I have got a Tom Tom not sure what version but not the basic, which I have had for just under 3 years. I think it’s brilliant , has got me all over the country to some weird and wonderful places. So much easier than trying to read a map, whilst driving (no need to keep stopping).

This has now become one gadget I can’t live without

Go on give in Gav all you’ve got to lose is getting lost.

PS she also does not have a go at me when I ignore her instructions

I got a tom tom 3rd edition.. which suites me down to the ground. One would of thought I'd know the way to southport by now but ummm no...

Actually thinking about it i mostly use it to get myself to Dance weekenders or parties. Only thing my tom tom seems to be useless at is seeing mobile speed camera vans.

I have a TomTom 720 which is around 3 years old now. Use it fairly regularly and in the most part it's been really good. Very intuitive interface as well. I've got full European mapping as well and used it in France a number of times and it's been pretty good there as well (though sometimes it has tried to send me down Autoroutes that don't yet exist)

Had a Garmin Nuvi 330, ended up selling it because I didn't like the user interface, lack of customisation and the routing had a tendancy to leave it a bit short to tell you when to turn. The turn directions were a bit lacking too, not giving you an idea of what to expect.

I got a Tomtom GO 520 from the Argos clearance store on ebay, really like it, more options, better interface and the next turn graphic also gives you an idea what to expect next, which was missing from the garmin. I got a model which also speaks the name of the next street you are turning into, instead of a generic "Turn left" etc. A recent map update also included the lane guidance thing, which is handy, giving you a graphic of the junction and exactly which lane to be in.

Have found Tomtom's customer service to be a bit crap. Had an issue about changing devices registered to my account, hopeless at fixing the issue.

Was recently looking for a satnav for my Dad and going to get him a Navigon 2200, £99 from Halfords. It was a bit cheaper than the Tomtom models I'd been looking at. Read the reviews and the company has a good name and the spec looks good. This model has the full street name and lane guidance features that I like on my Tomtom.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    though sometimes it has tried to send me down Autoroutes that don't yet exist)
    Lucky you, TeleAtlas and Navteq are usually 6 to 12 months behind and TomTom's mapshare is too slowly implemented to be of any use.

I have a couple of TomTom's: 1: the original with SD cards - which worked fine in the USA - and also Spain (although the maps are out of date - so sometimes appears that you are driving on water....) and
    2: TomTom One - which is fine and a slimmer model - but not as flexible with switching countries as no SD cards.

For me it is essential and has removed the need for maps.

And for the ladies out there..................TomTom have a new model especially for you. It is called Pearl and comes with an oh-so cutsie draw string bag.

http://www.tomtom.com/page/whitepearl

Would suit a matching pearl necklace..............I guess.

PS I guess I should be promoting Mio/Navman products as I worked with them last year in Taiwan - however, I think TomTom are better.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/drive-smart...es/article/14/

The XL is TomTom's budget widescreen sat-nav. While it doesn't hit the supremely cheap prices of Navigon's 1210 or Navman's S30 3D, it does have extra capabilities which make it worth the extra money if you travel regularly. Chief amongst these is IQ Routes. This calculates your journey based on real historical traffic rates on roads, rather than the shortest distance or road speed limit. Both day of week and time of day are taken into account, so IQ Routes will help you avoid regular rush-hour traffic snarl-ups, although it doesn't provide live traffic updates. You can also search for the cheapest fuel nearby or on your route, and safety camera positions come preloaded, although updates for both cost £34.95 a year, and must be applied with a desktop computer. For those who don't travel enough to make TomTom's LIVE worth the money, the XL IQ Routes is a good compromise, and if you don't need European maps, the UK/Ireland-only version is £20 cheaper.

Thread Information