Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farewell Grasshopper

Re: Farewell Grasshopper

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I surely can.... but why do you find it funny?
    Good grief...

It's funny because the maid was expecting to find a nice fluffy white robe hanging behind the door and not a naked ageing film star with his tongue hanging out: it's funny because the people next door to his room kept answering their door thinking someone was knocking on it: it's funny because his pet Pekanese called Noodle (who he used to kick regularly) was the one who knawed the leg off the stool he was standing on: it's funny because he was just saying to the hooker he had booked for the evening 'see nothing to be frightened o..... argh...urgh..': it's funny because had he not lost so much weight in the last 3 months his old belt would have still let his feet touch the floor: it's funny because the song playing on his iPod was 'I can't get no (Satisfaction) by The Rolling Stones: It's funny because he'd left a massive turd in the toilet that he was hoping to flush successfully eventually after the cistern had filled up for the 3rd time a little later on: it's funny because 'dying of masturbation' as reported by the Bangkok Post meant that what his priest had told him all those years ago as a boy was right..

But mostly it's funny because with so much tragedy in the World today finding humour in what shocks and horrifies us the most is part of what helps to keep some of us sane..

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Good grief...

It's funny because ....
    Mmmm - no - I don't get any of those. Maybe I'm having a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    But mostly it's funny because with so much tragedy in the World today finding humour in what shocks and horrifies us the most is part of what helps to keep some of us sane..
    Now that one I do get. Kind of. And I can imagine laughing at DC jokes in the weeks / months to come. Although still I don't really see why it's funny that he died like this (for instance, I can laugh at some of the various Challenger jokes that used to proliferate, eg the fact that NASA stands for 'Need Another Seven Astronauts' - but I still don't think it's funny that it blew up, if you see the distinction.)

You probably think I'm being a bit bullish here, but this is something that's always puzzled me. I remember as a kid, a French family that I was staying with had just seen a news report on a guy who'd succumbed to depression, jumped off Notre Damme, and landed on (and killed) a tourist. They thought this was the Funniest Thing Ever - and tried to convince me this was the case. I never got that one either....

a guy who'd succumbed to depression, jumped off Notre Damme, and landed on (and killed) a tourist.

Priceless!

There's nowt funnier than real life.

Blog Entries

You probably think I'm being a bit bullish here, but this is something that's always puzzled me. I remember as a kid, a French family that I was staying with had just seen a news report on a guy who'd succumbed to depression, jumped off Notre Damme, and landed on (and killed) a tourist. They thought this was the Funniest Thing Ever - and tried to convince me this was the case. I never got that one either....
    Not the same thing; a completely innocent (as far as we know) person being killed by some inconsiderate t0sser is not the same thing as some idiot getting a sexual act wrong and killing himself in ridiculous circumstances, whilst not hurting any one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Not the same thing; a completely innocent (as far as we know) person being killed by some inconsiderate t0sser is not the same thing as some idiot getting a sexual act wrong and killing himself in ridiculous circumstances, whilst not hurting any one else.
    well I thought it was funny.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    True, but there are similarities. In both cases, someone died under very sad, stupid and pointless circumstances. (and yes - that does happen rather a lot....)

Blog Entries

In both cases, someone died under very sad, stupid and pointless circumstances. (and yes - that does happen rather a lot....)
    and laughing about it is a common coping mechanism.
    I'm not saying that's the case here, I just thought is was funny; but if laughing is what you have to do to keep yourself sane while sh1t like this is going on all around you then I see nothing wrong with that (unless it becomes cruel and inappropriate).

I remember as a kid, a French family that I was staying with had just seen a news report on a guy who'd succumbed to depression, jumped off Notre Damme, and landed on (and killed) a tourist.
    Hey.. isn't that from the opening of "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain" Art imitates life it would seem.

This whole debate reminds me about the Darwin awards

Some of my workmates think they are hilarious - personally I just think they are so sad.... Maybe we just have different kinds of humour....

I personally prefer playing with words rather than slapstick for my humour... Mind you that can get me in trouble too... I tend to see Double entrendres everywhere!!!

WT
    Last edited by whitetiger1518; 10th-June-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Thread Information