Thread: Park and ride in London

Park and ride in London

I'm trying to work out how to get to Negracha's in Central London on Friday evening. I've missed the boat as far as booking reasonably cheap train tickets is concerned, so I'm thinking I'll drive down after work and park in a suburb near a train station near the end of the M1 and get into Central London that way.

I've parked before in a street near Golder's Green station - it was a quiet and well-to-do area and the car seemed as safe there as anywhere. However, this was several years ago, and parking rules may have changed. Also, I'm going to have to leave it overnight this time.

Has anyone else done anything like this and would have recommendations, and have London residents got any suggestions? I'd rather have a clear plan of action before setting out, for obvious reasons!

Re: Park and ride in London

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I've parked before in a street near Golder's Green station
    Wouldn't you be better off parking in the station car park?

If Golder's Green doesn't have a car park (and if it was me) I'd find a station with parking so you're not walking anywhere too far late at night when you get back.

Not on the M1 but I always use Epping, Debden or Theydon Bois (just off M11) on the Central line if I'm having to travel back late. Nice, rural locations, with parking and Tube straight into London.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Wouldn't you be better off parking in the station car park?
    I'm far too mean to pay for parking if it could be avoided!

If Golder's Green doesn't have a car park (and if it was me) I'd find a station with parking so you're not walking anywhere too far late at night when you get back.
    I'm staying overnight at a Travelodge so no probs with getting back to the car late, I'll be going back to it on Sat morning.

Not on the M1 but I always use Epping, Debden or Theydon Bois (just off M11) on the Central line if I'm having to travel back late. Nice, rural locations, with parking and Tube straight into London.
    Ta, I'll look at these on the road map, see if they're suitable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I'm far too mean to pay for parking if it could be avoided!
    Personally, I'd rather pay the charge knowing that if my car gets stolen or vandalised there's a chance it'll be on camera and that the car park owners will bear some responsibility.
    On the street it's unlikely to be caught on camera and very likely it'll all be going on my insurance.

I 've just moved to Hadley Wood, in North London. It's just off the M25 and not far from the M1. You'd be welcome to leave your car there, if you like. It has a gated courtyard, so is quite secure. The station is a 10 minute walk away, but, being lazy, I drive there every day and park on a nice, quiet, leafy street just beside it. It's a very nice area with pretty much no crime, so your car would be safe, and, unusually for London, it's free to park! Kings Cross is only 25 minutes away by train, so very convenient. If you're interested, let me know and I will send you directions.

Alternatively, I have a flat in East London, just beside Canary Wharf, with private, underground parking, which I rarely use. Central London is about 40 minutes away, but obviously you would need to factor in additional time to drive over that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    It has a gated courtyard, so is quite secure
    Don't you think you better check with the asylum Manager before you start offering free parking.

Alternatively, I have a flat in East London, just beside Canary Wharf, with private, underground parking, which I rarely use.
    You won the lottery or summit? Funny, you don't look money.

I live in Herts and regularly park up at an end-of-the-line tube station to get into London.

I can recommend Stanmore (end of the Jubilee line) and Cockfosters (end of the Piccadilly line). Both have large car parks and I believe you can pay for an overnight stay.

I 've just moved to Hadley Wood, in North London. It's just off the M25 and not far from the M1. You'd be welcome to leave your car there, if you like. It has a gated courtyard, so is quite secure. The station is a 10 minute walk away, but, being lazy, I drive there every day and park on a nice, quiet, leafy street just beside it. It's a very nice area with pretty much no crime, so your car would be safe, and, unusually for London, it's free to park! Kings Cross is only 25 minutes away by train, so very convenient. If you're interested, let me know and I will send you directions.
    That is EXTREMELY kind of you. I'll pm you.

Alternatively, I have a flat in East London, just beside Canary Wharf, with private, underground parking, which I rarely use. Central London is about 40 minutes away, but obviously you would need to factor in additional time to drive over that way.

Words fail me!

Jivecat, if you explain where in London you're staying on Friday night, then it might be easiest to suggest parking (if you don't take up the Canary Wharf option) where you have a relatively easy journey back to your car.

I'll be staying at the City Road Travelodge. I have never driven in Central London and don't think I want to start on Friday eve which is why I thought of the parking option.

JC, there is no room in your mail box for me to send you a PM...

JC, there is no room in your mail box for me to send you a PM...
    jivecat, pay up you tight arse! It's only 20 quid!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    jivecat, pay up you tight arse! It's only 20 quid!
    No way! No-one ever pms me these days, not worth paying for extra.

I have had a bit of a tidy up, though, FM, so you could try again!

Thread Information