Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Iphone in July?

New Iphone in July?

Anyone read the alleged leaks about a new iphone coming out soon? 3.2mp camera, OLED screen, 50% more battery life, FM Transmitter, plus all the 3.0 software tweaks... and comes in 16gb or 32gb flavours.

It has got my attention! After 15 years with Vodafone I may be persuaded to switch networks and part with some cash for one.

Re: New Iphone in July?

Turns out it comes out this month and is called the 3GS. Apparently the S stands for "speedy". LOL

At £275 on a £35pm contract though. WILL NOT PAY!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    Turns out it comes out this month and is called the 3GS. Apparently the S stands for "speedy". LOL

At £275 on a £35pm contract though. WILL NOT PAY!
    For the 32Gb one. The 16Gb model is £185, which is a litte more than the 16Gb 3G was (I think that was £160)

But in essence, yes. The O2 pricing is completely up the spout. Apple cut the price of the 8Gb 3G model by 50%, to be its 'budget' phone, and O2 have reacted by .... keeping the price the same. The $299 32Gb 3GS is going on sale for £275. Riiiiiiight.

Then there's the much vaunted tethering option... £15 quid a month for a 3Gb allowance????? Gee thanks, O2. Jailbreaking my current phone has never looked more tempting...

In the meantime, at least I'll be able to install the 3.0 update. New phone can wait.

Supposedly, O2's exclusivity on the iPhone ends in about six months - I wonder if we'll see some changes as that approaches?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post

Supposedly, O2's exclusivity on the iPhone ends in about six months - I wonder if we'll see some changes as that approaches?
    That would be a whole heap of awesome. I'd like to stay on Voda really.

Jailbreaking my current phone has never looked more tempting...
    Of course, Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two different things. You do need to Jailbreak before you can unlock granted but a Jailbroken phone is still tethered to O2 and can be reverted at the click of a button not so with Unlocking (although I believe if you get a copy of a valid firmware file you can revert it too.. not unlocked and not going to try.. you can brick your iPhone doing an unlock.. Jailbreaking is much safer )

I'm still waiting to see about this update to the iPhone OS and if they're going to release that soon for us lesser iPhone users

I may upgrade to the new iPhone.. but next year sometime.. when I renew my contract I'm happy enough with my current one (for the time being)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Of course, Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two different things.
    Absolutely. I'm still in contract for another 6 months, and there's no advantage that I can see to unlocking. Jailbreaking, on the other hand, gives a whole lot of advantages (eg free tethering )

I'm still waiting to see about this update to the iPhone OS and if they're going to release that soon for us lesser iPhone users
    June 17th. The jailbreak teams are reportedly all ready to go with own 3.0 cracks, so they should follow suit pretty promptly...

I may upgrade to the new iPhone.. but next year sometime.. when I renew my contract I'm happy enough with my current one (for the time being)
    For me to upgrade early to a 3GS, I'd have to buy out the last six months of my contract, which would be expensive (understandably, because at present, I'm effectively still paying for the hardware)
    However - in six months time, we'll only be six months from the next big hardware release. My thinking now is to wait another year. At which point, I can either upgrade to whatever comes next, or..... keep costs down, and buy a second-hand 3GS from an early adopter. No rush...

June 17th. The jailbreak teams are reportedly all ready to go with own 3.0 cracks, so they should follow suit pretty promptly..
    cool.. Well in "antici............ ....... pation" of the the 3.0 release I've gone back to vanilla iPhone OS 2.2.1 Jailbreaking back and forth is such a breeze. Unlike hacking the HTC TYTN II I had

But yup I'll stick with vanilla 3.0 for a week or two then Jailbreak again. Too many benefits not to jailbreak if you ask me. (Open SSH for one!)

Well downloaded and installed OS 3.0 and it went without a hitch. A couple of my friends though have "non functional" iPhones but have no knowledge of their problems or what they did / didn't do prior to running the patch. My phone was re-vanilla'ed before I applied the patch and it went throught easy.

1st impressions of OS 3.0 ?

Bluetooth Stereo A2DP works a treat
    Ipod Shake to shuffle.. decidedly "meh!" it's either too sensitive and shuffles your tunes whenever you flinch or you're waving the iPhone like a Wii controller during a boxing match!
    Cut and paste.. it works. it's about all I can say about that.
    Voice memo.. can't say I'll ever use this
    MMS - haven't recieved my confirmation of it being set up yet so not tested.
    Battery life improvements - Too early to tell.
    Sideways email/ keyboard - better than it was.
    Tethering? don't have a laptop and as such will not use this.

so , so far.. it's "ok" quite nice bits and bobs but will probably re-jailbreak again.. after a suitably long settling down period. once the new jailbreak is 100% stable then I'll use it again.

but it's definitely an improvement over 2.2.1

it went through easy.
    Famous last words

No so much an Apple issue ... more of an O2 issue.

Listen up Geeklings !!

if you've upgraded and texted O2 for your MMS settings (text MMS to 1010) you may find when you go to download emails over 3g you get a message stating you have no cellular data network.

ok.. if you're on PAY MONTHLY ( it's different settings for Pay as you go .. sorry) then you need to make these changes

SETTINGS - GENERAL - NETWORK - CELLULAR DATA NETWORK

then under Cellular data change the apn from idata.o2.co.uk to mobile.o2.co.uk

then scroll down to mms and change the apn there from idata.o2.co.uk to wap.o2.co.uk

exit that window then POWER OFF your iPhone. power it back on and bingo you should have access again.

any problems though you can do as I did.. can call customer services on 2302 from your iPhone (free) and they can talk you though your settings.

Commercial Operator

Well - I installed 3.0 last night - completely seamless update (plugged in the phone, clicked 'yes', then left it to its own devices for an hour or so - came back, and 'twas done)

So far - quite happy with it. Aside from all the obvious enhancements (cut'n'paste, spotlight et al), the phone, and a lot of apps seem to be running a little faster than they used to... all to the good. MMS not set up yet - I've had a text from O2 saying that it may take a few more hours because they're busy with all the other upgrades....

Now to investigate some jailbreaking options...

Now to investigate some jailbreaking options...
    Well I WILL be Jailbreaking my iPhone again at some point.. but I want to wait a week or so for any little bugs to be identified and ironed out.

I know the jailbreakers have had the beta for a while now who knows what insidious little changes Apple made last minute (deliberately or otherwise)

But for what it's worth QuickPWN / Cydia works well and they do have a 3,0 jailbreak out if you're brave !

Commercial Operator

Mmmm. First annoyance discovered - the upgrade seems to have selectively broken my wifi. The phone connects fine to my router at home, but connecting to our laptop no longer works (it connects, then drops the connection within 30 secs, reconnects, drops, etc etc etc)

Which is intensely frustrating, as for nearly a year, I've been using the phone as a remote control for the laptop while teaching - and this no longer works (I discovered it yesterday while we were teaching a four hour workshop ). A little search on Google shows that I'm a long way from being the only one having wifi problems. Some people have found fixes, but they don't work for everyone.

No word from Apple on this yet.

Oh - and the update broke eReader - I can keep reading my current book, but can't browse my bookshelf to switch to anything else. No excuse for this - the app developers have been able to test out the 3.0 release for months. Lazy-arse programmers....

Oh - and the update broke eReader - I can keep reading my current book, but can't browse my bookshelf to switch to anything else.
    I use Stanza.. it works really well ... and under 3.0 too.

Lazy-arse programmers....

Commercial Operator

I use Stanza.. it works really well ... and under 3.0 too.
    I like Stanza - I'd stuck with eReader because I already had a fairly large library of compatible books (from my Palm days), which only eReader can use. And the iPhone eReader is generally an excellent little app.

I may well switch entirely to Stanza if they don't sort this out soon.

You do know what I do for a living, don't you?
    (hint - I'm a lazy-arse programmer )

Oh - and I managed to unbreak my wifi . Renewing the DHCP lease did the trick (although why that should work when resetting my network prefs did not is beyond me)

Have bought myself the new IPhone 32gb 3G. Some great features and I’m sure will enjoy using it eventually. Finding the new keyboard a little hard to adapt to as sometimes gets the neighbouring letters. I do the love the simplicity of the home page.

At the moment I’m in the middle of the laborious task of transferring over all my contacts as I have had to change my service provider but as soon as that is done I will use it properly.

Question for any Geeks out there. I want to use my own music as ringtones asnd have downloaded a ringtone converter. Can anyone out there tell me what I have to do now as I can’t work it out - Thanks

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I want to use my own music as ringtones asnd have downloaded a ringtone converter. Can anyone out there tell me what I have to do now as I can’t work it out - Thanks
    This is off the top of my head, as it's a while since I've done it, but I think it goes something like:

Feed mp3 to converter.
    Take converted file and put it into iTunes.
    Sync with iPhone.

Are you using a Mac or a PC, and does the converter have any instructions?

As for you getting a 3GS..... colour me jealous

Let me see...

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, Octarine... Hmm.. sorry I'm all out of jealous..

This is off the top of my head, as it's a while since I've done it, but I think it goes something like:

Feed mp3 to converter.
    Take converted file and put it into iTunes.
    Sync with iPhone.

Are you using a Mac or a PC, and does the converter have any instructions?

PC - I use windows (vista)

It did give have some instruction but must admit that I struggled to understand it but will try again when I get home and report back.

I am now feeling a little guilty about having such a phone when I am clearly not geeky enough to fully appreciate it but am enjoying my Ipod as I type this in my lunch break

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I am now feeling a little guilty about having such a phone when I am clearly not geeky enough to fully appreciate it
    Sorry. I really didn't mean to make you feel bad. To make you feel better, why don't you swap your overly-geeky iPhone 3GS for my far-more-suitable iPhone 3G, which would clearly sit better with your conscience? (no need to thank me - generousity is sometimes its own reward... )

Sorry. I really didn't mean to make you feel bad. To make you feel better, why don't you swap your overly-geeky iPhone 3GS for my far-more-suitable iPhone 3G, which would clearly sit better with your conscience? (no need to thank me - generousity is sometimes its own reward... )

Ok things are looking up I have managed to convert a track but as yet not managed to get it back where I can find it on ITunes. But it’s a start
    Any Geeks hanging around the East London Area?? Please drop in

Thread Information