Ok am Loving my new iPhone (was even looking at prices of Apple Mac laptops the last day there.. but still cannot justify getting one just to write a few iPhone applications ) However I have come across a number of slightly annoying limitations.

I have a couple of email accounts on my iPhone and one of which I get regular junk and/or circulars/newsletter emails (some subscribed.. others spam) I have been known to get 20 or 30 emails in one sitting. I spent ages looking for the "Mark all as Read" option. Turns out there isn't one!! the only way I found to do it online was to run a SQL script against the database in the iPhone and set all emails read flag to true.. ah but that needs a jailbroken phone.

Some apps I've seen online (netshare for example) are not in the Apple Store. You need to install them via Cydia. Again you need a Jailbroken phone.

want to record video? Jailbreak !
Want to change look and feel or interface? Jailbreak !
mess around with the unix core? Jailbreak !!

(I'm seeing a pattern forming here)

now normally I have no hesitations when it comes to invalidating warranties etc but I've never had a phone so locked down as the iPhone before.

What are the risks (if any) to jailbreaking an iPhone? I know how to do it.. seen many informative sites out there but anyone done this and had any problems?

What about iPhone firmware updates? I assume you'll no longer be able to install these? so would it be advisable to try waiting for the "imminent" update before jailbreaking? or just wait and don't bother with the jailbreak?

Jailbreaking or not it's still a great phone.. even if it is tempting me into looking at Mac products just to code for the damn thing !! no.. I must resist !! I will not be lured to the Dark side