Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car reccommendations?

Re: Car reccommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    or so you heard anyway, not that you actually broke the law yourself
    The speed cameras didn't go off, I think that means I am not going fast enough to be caught

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Well, not so good then, as I'll be zooming up and down the motorway between Dundee and Montrose (keeping my studio in Dundee).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    but you clearly wouldn't be going over 75 and breaking the law, so would it matter ?
    It wouldn't matter but you knew when you hit 70 with that car as the wheel started to shake! what a retro death trapped mother that car was!

I had a fiesta and it was the perfect size for when I had my boxer. Plenty space for her to move about in the boot and when she wasn't hogging it for trips to the beach it held 2 sets of dive kit (which certainly isnt small & compact!)

I also had an old golf which was great for boot size too.

(Both did over 70mph comfortably )

Cool Re: Car reccommendations?

I'll have to agree with Lee, we needed a second car for Twirlie Bird and we got a Daewoo Matiz (now Chevy) for her. It was possibly the best little car I have ever driven. Nippy, economical to run and insure, five doors, electric windows, the power steering made it so easy to park and because of it's small size *even* Twirlie could park it

Oh... and it was bright red and the front of it looked like a cute face. It seems that fact was terribly important

Fiesta? Pah!

Fabia? Pah!

Matiz? Pah!

Micra? Yaris? Pah! Pah!

Panda? 206? Pah! Pah! Pah!!!

Noooo!!! What you want is an old Transit!!!! Forget about squeezing into small parking spots, just drive straight over anything in the way!!

Economy?? Fantastic!! When you're local chippy has run out of oil, several large catering veg oil cans from the local Cash n Carry will be fine!!

And, yes, maybe their bodywork does have a minor tendency to rust to oblivion .... no problem!!! Simply take it down to you're local greasemonkey with a welding rod, and ensure the whole thing's stitched together before MOT!

It's a nobrainer!!! problem solved!

I disdainfully spit in the general direction of all those puny superminis!!!

I have to confess I'm with your brother on the Japanese cars thing. Having driven several, and owned two, I wouldn't buy anything else. I've found fiestas to be functional but bland. I'm not a fan of the French cars purely for their handling, though I've not driven a Peugeot, as I find the turning lock is very poor.
    By contrast, I've test-driven some Daewoos and they seem to turn on a six-pence!
    You could try the Parkers guide for more detailed info on those you like the sound of, then just test drive a whole load until you find something that suits you.

nothing to offer as to make or model of car - but depending on how you feel driving - if you want to make life easier go for an automatic if you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    nothing to offer as to make or model of car - but depending on how you feel driving - if you want to make life easier go for an automatic if you can afford it.
    Nope, no way! My first and only car was an automatic, and that's why I'm finding it tricky to get back into driving now - being used to an automatic made me a 'lazy' driver, and I wouldn't want to be in the situation again of being used to only automatics, and then suddenly being in the situation of having to drive a manual. So manual it is, although I prefer automatic...

I've had two Fiestas now and loved them both. Economical, cheap to service (current one has never had anything needing fixed outside of regular service except a wing mirror getting ripped off and its just happened again when parked overnight - flippin kids! ), easy to park - but I have the older model Fiesta, not as keen on the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Only real criticisms are a bit slow going up hills unless you've already got some speed up on the flat first as it's only a 1.25 (which might be a bit of an issue up your way, so you might want to look for something beefier),
    Hmm, not noticed that - I have the 1.25 Zetec though so that might be why. Its really nippy and fast.

I drive a Renault Modus and it's brill!! It's been dubbed a bit of an old fogey car, but I'm far from that and just find that it is ideal for what I wanted when I was buying it. One of my criteria was decent boot space and this little car has that, plus, it's uber easy to move the rear seat forward to give more boot space without tipping the seats. Lift out the rear parcel shelf and Doggy will be in the lap of luxury back there. It's a mini MPV and is pretty economical on fuel getting about 48mpg. It's not the prettiest car on the road, but it is roomy inside and has all the whistles and bells. I like to be safe (!!) and it has a Euro N Cap rating of 5 stars, the highest, it;s like a little tank in its construction...very sturdy but equally nippy. I've driven it up hill and down dale and it's coped just fine. Also, being only a 1.4 it's relatively cheap on insurance too. Although, I believe they have replaced the 1.4 with a 1.2 turbo (same output as the 1.4, not sure what they were trying to accomplish here!!).

The new Fiesta does look great though, and if I were changing my car I'd prob get one of those!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haylz View Post
    I drive a Renault Modus and it's brill!! It's...{snip}
    A glowing review, followed in true feminine style with...
    The new Fiesta does look great though, and if I were changing my car I'd prob get one of those!!!
    ...you just couldn't make it up

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    A glowing review, followed in true feminine style with......you just couldn't make it up
    I don't see the conflict. While the Modus price is outside the budget, it isn't far and away out of sight.

Unlike the new Fiesta.

The thing I don't get about the Modus, it that while it is all about practicality and safety, rather than style, the designers weren't practical enough to provide a way to replace the front lightbulbs.

Can't you just remove the light unit (I say just, it would be a PITA)? Had to do that with a VX220 I used to own.

Anyways, I would give another vote to the Skoda Fabia - basically a VW Polo underneath but for a lot less money and supposed to be very reliable (backed up by a real-world recommendation from here, which is always good). The Seat Ibiza is also the same car underneath as well so may be worth a look.

Someone has beaten me to the Renault Modus suggestion already so that's worth a look (kind of a mini-MPV). Other cars that spring to mind are the Toyota Yaris Verso and Honda Jazz but I'm not sure if your budget would stretch to one of those (can't access the relevant sites at work ).

I like to be safe (!!) and it has a Euro N Cap rating of 5 stars, the highest, it;s like a little tank in its construction...very sturdy but equally nippy.
    A couple of years ago 5th Gear (the TV programme) did an offset head-on crash test with an early 90s Volvo estate (940 I think) and a used Modus (54 reg). 30mph iirc. The thinking being that it is assumed that the Volvo-tank would be much safer due to its size and the fact that Volvo are renowned for producing safe cars. Not so - the Modus dissappated (sp?) its energy from the impact so much better that it practically drove through the front 1/4 of the Volvo. Modus occupants would have been able to open the door and climb out with minor injuries, Volvo occupants on the impact side likely to have life threatening injuries. The video is somewhere in youtube if you want to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    A glowing review, followed in true feminine style with......you just couldn't make it up
    I am a very girly girl in a lot of respects and enjoy my femininity; I'm perfectly happy to step back and let a bloke take over on things I don't know much about ...however...31 years as a mechanic's daughter means I picked up a thing or two over the years, and whilst I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination I'm not quite as 'typically female' regarding cars as you might think!!
    Actually Stokebloke, the point I was making is that the Fiesta is more aesthetically pleasing whilst also being a good little all rounder...but the good points on the fiesta's performance had already been mentioned!! I was merely talking about aesthetics!! I saw a Top Gear review of the fiesta which whilst it was delivered tongue in cheek, really put the car through its paces...Hope Mr. Needham appreciated it!!

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I don't see the conflict. While the Modus price is outside the budget, it isn't far and away out of sight.

Unlike the new Fiesta.

The thing I don't get about the Modus, it that while it is all about practicality and safety, rather than style, the designers weren't practical enough to provide a way to replace the front lightbulbs.
    I agree, this is a problem. You have to take the whole front off and this has to be done in a garage or else warranty issues arise. bit of a PITA. Another design fault is the windscreen uprights at the front...they're not easy to see around (or through) and create a blind spot...bit annoying. Other than that it's a nice car to drive. I drove a Matiz when mine was being serviced and believe me a tin can on wheels would be better. It was awful, i felt like I was going to die if I hit anything head on like a moth. Very flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    A couple of years ago 5th Gear (the TV programme) did an offset head-on crash test with an early 90s Volvo estate (940 I think) and a used Modus (54 reg). 30mph iirc. The thinking being that it is assumed that the Volvo-tank would be much safer due to its size and the fact that Volvo are renowned for producing safe cars. Not so - the Modus dissappated (sp?) its energy from the impact so much better that it practically drove through the front 1/4 of the Volvo. Modus occupants would have been able to open the door and climb out with minor injuries, Volvo occupants on the impact side likely to have life threatening injuries. The video is somewhere in youtube if you want to have a look.
    I saw this too, it was fab!! I was well chuffed!! the Modus was also voted best on Top Gear when they had their mums test 3 similar cars (the Jazz, the Modus and a peugeot thing with weird doors...nasty). (P.S. it's dissipated...sorry, I'm an English grad..it never leaves you!! plenty of spelling errors/made up words in mine I'm sure)

I love my little modus, it's a fab little car, tardis like in its roomyness and nippy enough to have got me over the pennines to my bloke (amongst other places)!!
    Last edited by Haylz; 2nd-June-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Someone has beaten me to the Renault Modus suggestion already so that's worth a look (kind of a mini-MPV). Other cars that spring to mind are the Toyota Yaris Verso and Honda Jazz but I'm not sure if your budget would stretch to one of those (can't access the relevant sites at work ).
    I had a look at the Yaris and it was too small on boot space, practically none. I gave up on it, not sure you'd get doggy in there!!

Commercial Operator

I had a look at the Yaris and it was too small on boot space, practically none. I gave up on it, not sure you'd get doggy in there!!
    What position would U have sex in a Yaris, then???

FWIW, Mazda RX8. Practical, cheap to run, great sized boot, ex partners love it when they find out U've got one... OK, maybe not... but every time U drive, U arrive with the biggest grin... even if it's been on a wild goose chase...

WhatCar? Used car chooser

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    WhatCar? Used car chooser
    Useful link thanks!

More food for thought . . . .

Last Aug, after my car broke down on the Mway, Cruella and I had the experience of being towed home all the way from Blackpool

anyway, to cut a long story short, the Brittania Rescue bloke told us that he had been in the job for 9 years and in that time 70% of the cars he got called out to were BMWs but he had NEVER been called out to a broken down HONDA

Anyways, I would give another vote to the Skoda Fabia - basically a VW Polo underneath but for a lot less money and supposed to be very reliable (backed up by a real-world recommendation from here, which is always good). The Seat Ibiza is also the same car underneath as well so may be worth a look.

As it happens, I'll be having my first driving lesson tomorrow - in a Skoda Fabia! So I'll get plenty of time to get used to that car, and to see if I like it. A bit nervous about the leson, though...... I'm 35 and have forgotten how to drive!!

If I bought a Renault, my dear boyfriend would probably not speak to me again. Same goes for my brother..... The Yaris looks too small for my doggie, but a cute little car. Think both the Yaris and Jazz are way over my budget, though!

Originally Posted by StokeBloke
    Originally Posted by Haylz
    I am a very girly girl in a lot of respects and enjoy my femininity; I'm perfectly happy to step back and let a bloke take over on things I don't know much about ...however...31 years as a mechanic's daughter means I picked up a thing or two over the years, and whilst I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination I'm not quite as 'typically female' regarding cars as you might think!!
    Whoahh... slow down there .... don't blow a gasket, I wasn't casting aspersions on your ability with a monkey wrench! If you read what I said..... I was commenting on what seemed to me to read like a classic case of feminine indecisiveness. A case of "I like this, it's brilliant... but get that one instead". Sorry if you missed the subtlety of my tongue in cheek comment, but it really was nothing more sinister than that. I'm sure your dad is bigger than my dad too

Thread Information