Thread: Free Jive Classes are a waste of money

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Free Jive Classes are a waste of money

see here - oh, the horror

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Free Jive Classes are a waste of money

I'm suitably horrified.

We have it in England too - I seem to remember Phil Roberts (one-time franchisee of Ceroc Central) ran a class for some of my colleagues a few years ago.
    Love dance, will travel

We did something last Thursday similar to this as it was national 'Learning at Work' day, which we decided to tie in with the launch of our Health & Wellbeing forum.

Basically we had lots of taster sessions either run by people who work at the company, or got outside people in, for 30-45mins sessions - food demo sessions, martial arts, yoga, food quiz, walk session, and lots of display/information on local activities etc. Ceroc was one of the sessions - good fun, easy for people to pick up quickly and much to my relief a reasonable number of people turned up.

It's a good idea for people to learn other skills and take time out, but obviously companies aren't going to want people to take too much time out/for much longer than a lunch break would be. If places work on flexi-time I suppose it's not really an issue, even if they are public companies, especially if the tax payers not paying.

Having said that, the wierd 'mumbo jumbo' new age-y stuff is a bit of a strange thing to be encouraging your workers to partake in.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    It's a good idea for people to learn other skills and take time out, but obviously companies aren't going to want people to take too much time out/for much longer than a lunch break would be. If places work on flexi-time I suppose it's not really an issue, even if they are public companies, especially if the tax payers not paying.

Having said that, the wierd 'mumbo jumbo' new age-y stuff is a bit of a strange thing to be encouraging your workers to partake in.
    true, but if its not wanted, no one will go. And its certainly true that with flexi-time, the company is getting all of the benefit of employees cheered up by free teaching with the only negatives being stupid tabloid news stories
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 18th-May-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    ... Having said that, the wierd 'mumbo jumbo' new age-y stuff is a bit of a strange thing to be encouraging your workers to partake in.
    As I read it, between the lines, they are not "encouraging", but giving the opportunity. It seems to me likely that this is just one of 60 classes, and, given the alternatives, I doubt there will be much of a take-up.

Some employers might be worried about employees who signed up for such a course.

I have suggested to various organisers that they tried to offer such sessions to big firms as a way of building teamwork and morale, relieving stress, getting their employees fitter, and, naturally, bringing in new dancers. If fact you could build a business doing just that.

We have it at our place as well, although I couldn't go this year as I had to go to a meeting.

Last year we had a Salsa class, which was quite painful given the carpets in our office!

Thread Information